It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Lockerbie Bomber is being freed tmorro - USA butt out !

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yes, butt out.

It's widely expected that the Justice Minister, Kenny MacAskill, will announce the release of the Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi at Midday GMT tomorrow.

Al-Megrahi is being released on compassionate grounds because he's terminally ill with cancer. His release will come despite considerable pressure being applied by the White House, Hillary Clinton and seven US Senators, all of whom wish to see Al-Megrahi die in prison.

Clinton said :

I just think it is absolutely wrong to release someone who has been imprisoned based on the evidence about his involvement in such a horrendous crime."

Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Frank Lautenberg, Charles Schumer, Robert Menendez, Patrick Leahy & Kristen Gillibrand all put their name to a letter addressed to the Justice Minister saying as follows :

We know that the Scottish government shares our commitment - and the world's - to support justice and oppose acts of terrorism. That is why we urge you to ensure that [Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi] serves the remainder of his sentence in prison in Scotland.

For those too young to remember, Al-Megrahi was convicted of murdering 270 persons by planting an explosive device on board a Pan American Boeing 747, the remains of which crashed onto the town of Lockerbie, Scotland in December 1988.

Now I'm not getting into the whole "is he guilty, is he not" thing ... there's sufficient doubt in my own mind about his conviction. It's claimed some US agents were advised not to travel on the flight, doubts exist about the validity of the evidence presented by a CIA witness (paid $2.7 million for his evidence) & there's concerns about why the judges accepted contradictory evidence against al-Megrahi from a Maltese shopkeeper, who claimed he sold the bomber clothes in which the bomb was wrapped.

None of that matters now.

He's withdrawn his appeal, he's about to be freed. And that's that.

No further purpose is served by keeping a dying man in jail. He'll soon be weighed in the scales of his own Maker, he'll be judged accordingly.

What leaves a bitter taste in my mouth is this ... US politicians have no right, no right at all to dictate to Scottish judicial officers as to what they should and should not do. It's a complete break with diplomatic protocol. We're not some banana republic which dances to the tune of Hillary Clinton & the Chappaquiddick Kid.

His crime was committed in Scotland & dealt with by the Scottish judicial system. The decision to release him will be made by the Scottish Ministers in the interests of justice.

When we need the input of US politicians we'll ask.

Meantime ... butt out.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
and if i remember correctly Colonel Gaddaffi took responsibility for that attacks and therefore the guy was following orders. gaddiffi also recognised that the victims need to be compensated.
So why should this guy still ibe n prison after all he was just following orders from gaddaffi who then took responsiblity in later years i have no idea

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

Just be prepared for the blowback. US intelligence services will no doubt have a long memory when it comes to the UK justice system. Is it true that Scotland has petitioned parliament for the right to mint their own coinage so that they can put Trotsky on the coins?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I agree that the US can't interfere in Scotland's legal system, but on the other hand, can you honestly say 'butt out'? Lets not forget that 180 US citizens were killed in that incident, along with citizens of 20 other countries.

I have no idea what recourse the US actually has, but IMO, the US, as well all of those other nations, should have the right to put this guy on trial the instant he steps foot outside a Scottish prison.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The US has no right to interfere with the internal workings of a sovereign state, but it certainly has the right to express its opinion. It also has the right to offer either inducements or the possibility of withholding goodies from those who do things they don't like. Many countries, likely including Scotland, comment on the acts of other countries.

As for the guy "only following orders" - that excuse hasn't cut it since World War II, when Nazi soldiers tried to use it as a defense for slaughtering civilians. When your commanding officers order you to commit an atrocity - for example, murdering unarmed, non-combatant civilians - you have the obligation to refuse that order. If you don't refuse it, then you can be prosecuted.

I'm all in favor of releasing this guy. He's dying. Let him finish his days outside prison. There is no reason to require that he actually die in prison.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
In cases like this I would love to see 1 representative from each of the people killed on that flight to actually vote on his release. These are the people most affected by this decision. Not the USA, not Scotland. The victims should have a voice.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I am almost at the point of thinking Uk and America will go to war against each other. Why do they keep trying to annoy us and stir us up? If it wasnt enough that (we are talking in uninitiated terms) they got us caught up in a dumbass multi-front war and put us in the firing line for terrorist attacks..................they now have the cheek to criticise our health system, lock up a harmless computer hacker for showing up their crappy security and this old hag is going on aout the Lockerbie bombing like she was the lead forensic.

America, keep your nose out of other peoples business. You have charities that should be helping the third world tied up trying to help you guys, sort yourselfs out before you end up more of a laughing stock than you are. Seriously its getting shameful.

England Prevails!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Couldn't care less. Feel sorry for his victims I remember that day but he's on his way out anyway. Maybe he's regretful if not whatever.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wow, this person killed 280 people and you want him to be able to spend his last days enjoying freedom? Just because he is dying he deserves to spend it with his family? What about all the victims and thier families? They didn't get that chance.

The guy should rot in prison and never have the luxury of saying goodbye to his loved ones, or to enjoy any type of pleasure. He took that from 280 people and no matter the circumstances deserves to die alone.

The US has every right to offer its opinion (especially since so many of its citizens died in the bombing) just like you have the right to have the opinion that they don't.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It's entirely down to the relevant judiciary to decide on this matter and they should be free to do so, unhindered by political pressure, on what was always a very shaky case.
Maybe they don't want him out and able to state his case openly without censorship? When even some of the relatives of the victims have expressed opinions that he was framed and the case needs reopened, it gives those that worked to keep him in jail an even more urgent need to prevent his freedom.

Yeah, Gaddaffi paid the compo but that was nothing more than a political move in order to benefit him and the country, nothing more.

Like those held in Guantanamo Bay for years without charge or proof of guilt, release could prove to be very embarrassing to former and current administration officials. In these cases, innocence or guilt becomes a moot point, the primary point being admission of wrongdoing or lawbreaking by those in power. Best to keep innocent people locked up rather than have them make you look stupid....or corrupt!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majestic23
I am almost at the point of thinking Uk and America will go to war against each other. Why do they keep trying to annoy us and stir us up? If it wasnt enough that (we are talking in uninitiated terms) they got us caught up in a dumbass multi-front war and put us in the firing line for terrorist attacks..................they now have the cheek to criticise our health system, lock up a harmless computer hacker for showing up their crappy security and this old hag is going on aout the Lockerbie bombing like she was the lead forensic.

Are your feelings hurt? Guess you weren't as hard as you wished you were.

I'm not a big fan of Hitlery or Teddy The No Driving Fool, but since the US lost a fair amount of people on that aircraft, the US does have the right to their opinion; take it or leave it.

America, keep your nose out of other peoples business. You have charities that should be helping the third world tied up trying to help you guys, sort yourselfs out before you end up more of a laughing stock than you are. Seriously its getting shameful.

Funny how people weep and whine about the US getting involved, yet it's quite alright for you to tell us what to do? Pot, meet kettle.

England Prevails!

Now that's shameful.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic23

England Prevails? At what? Oh, yes. Exporting young men to Latvia so they can urinate on public monuments. Great. Giving a pass to totally whacked out mullas in run-down London mosques who play bomber match maker while MI-5 picks their teeth. Selling everything in London that isn't nailed down to Russian Oligarchs who beat their wives in public.
England Prevails!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
Are your feelings hurt? Guess you weren't as hard as you wished you were.

No, I just find it annoying. Who said anything about being "hard" anyway.

Originally posted by jerico65I'm not a big fan of Hitlery or Teddy The No Driving Fool, but since the US lost a fair amount of people on that aircraft, the US does have the right to their opinion; take it or leave it.

Did I mention only the bombing? Its just one instance.

Funny how people weep and whine about the US getting involved, yet it's quite alright for you to tell us what to do? Pot, meet kettle.

..........whats your point? I am giving an opinion. Its a public forum.

England Prevails!

Take it with a pinch of salt dumbass its from a film. I am the least nationalistic person you will find.

Looks like I touched a nerve. Dont be so sensitive.

Same old stuff, America gets criticised for its buffoonery and you get your panties in a twist.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Majestic23]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Office 4256
reply to post by Majestic23

England Prevails? At what? Oh, yes. Exporting young men to Latvia so they can urinate on public monuments. Great. Giving a pass to totally whacked out mullas in run-down London mosques who play bomber match maker while MI-5 picks their teeth. Selling everything in London that isn't nailed down to Russian Oligarchs who beat their wives in public.
England Prevails!

Calm yourself down and read the above post. I did find your post hilarious though and totally true.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Majestic23]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
People, People.............

Please remember this is the SCOTTISH Justice Minister, Kenny MacAskill making this decision and not the British Justice Minister, Jack Straw.

So, if you are unhappy at this decision, remember this is Scotland making the decision and not the United Kingdon/Britain/England

And my opinion as an Englishman - Let Abdelbaset al-Megrahi rot in jail!!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
If anyone needs a reminder of what did (and didn't) happen:

Pan Am 103 to Lockerbie

You don't release a guilty man...what does this tell you?

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Ulala

That scum should have been executed and being nice to him will only embolden the current terrorist scum unfortunately walking the earth. Gaddafi is the poster boy for what should be done to terrorist leaders. Scare them so bad that they be nice for the rest of their time on planet earth.

It was Gaddafi's fault his family members died and he knows it. He also squealed I give when he knew the U.S. would be coming to the mid-east with a vengeance after 9/11.

I say cut off all meds and let him rot from the inside out.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
In my opinion he was an innocent patsy, And i think his 2nd appeal would have proved it.!

Hence why i believe a deal was struck......His release on compassionate grounds on the condition he dropped his appeal.

I heard Gaddafi owned up to this atrocity solely to have sanctions against his country lifted, And that it may have been committed by Iran in a Tit-for-Tat for having one of their planes shot down.

Although i think its pure speculation.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

No, I just find it annoying. Who said anything about being "hard" anyway.

Well, you are anything but hard.

..........whats your point? I am giving an opinion. Its a public forum.

Exactly that. You have your opinion, and everyone else does, too. Deal with it.

Take it with a pinch of salt dumbass its from a film. I am the least nationalistic person you will find.

Looks like I touched a nerve. Dont be so sensitive.

Same old stuff, America gets criticised for its buffoonery and you get your panties in a twist.

Oh, my, namecalling. I'm crushed because I don't think you like me anymore.

Well, if anyone seems to be getting her panties in a twist, it's you. And you know mommy will want them back, so try to keep the skidmarks to a minimum after you are thru s**tting yourself in anger.

Scotland can do whatever they want with the ass hat, I don't care. And the US can give their opinion about the matter, too.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Anyone has the right to make their opinion known.

Governments, corporations, people. It doesn't matter. Anyone has the right to make their opinion known.

If I tell someone, "Don't do that", I'm not interfering. I'm making my opinion known. You can still "do that".

It's freedom of thought and freedom of expression.

Vas

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join