It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Sets Swine-Flu Planning Guidelines

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Preapre for the autumn season flu guys.
The Plan is here !!!

U.S. Sets Swine-Flu Planning Guidelines
WASHINGTON -- The government unveiled updated planning guidelines Wednesday for non-health-care employers in the event of an anticipated increase in swine-flu cases, emphasizing the need to prepare for the potential that work-place absences could skyrocket as outbreaks of the disease increase this fall and winter.

Obama administration officials said employers should play a leading role in protecting the health of workers and their business operations from the H1N1 influenza virus, the so-called "swine flu," to limit the spread of the disease and its impact on the nation's already ailing economy.

The season is expected to begin around October and reach its height in February.

Among other steps, officials recommended that employers consider more flexible work environments, prioritize the most vital business functions and cross-train workers to carry them out, and develop plans to send workers home if they exhibit symptoms.

Officials also said employers should study absentee records from past flu seasons, so they can be ready for an outbreak that resembles the seasonal flu, or one that is dramatically greater. They said planning should envision multiple levels of absenteeism, because influenza is so highly unpredictable.

The H1N1 flu strain, first detected four months ago, never took the summer lull that public-health officials had anticipated, contributing to some concerns that this coming season's outbreak could be severe. Still, the impact thus far has been relatively mild, even when compared to normal seasonal flu.

"We already face much economic uncertainty," said Commerce Secretary Gary Locke. "A flu outbreak is a very scary prospect."

He was joined at a news conference in Washington by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.

The new guidance comes on the heels of news that only about 45 million doses of a vaccine will be available from manufacturers by mid-October, after the government had initially projected about 120 million would be ready by that point. Now officials hope to hit the 120 million mark by mid-November.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I still. Don't. Get. Why this is bad.

All that says is "Uh, people might get sick. Employers should prepare for people to be out of work and should allow for flexible schedules and the possibility that employees may leave work early."

Sounds like a plan that should have been in place already.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I procure space for the Florida Department of Health. Over the last couple of months I have leased several large warehouses for H1N1 preparedness supplies. I am not on the ground, I don't know what they are storing, but several counties have gotten large new spaces to accomodate it!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
And I'm sure this will some how be a good thing for the world economy

I have such a hard time reading your posts, with the awesome avatar watching me.
Too hot!

Tks. for the info. Chembreather.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by 5 oClock]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I dont know if you guys read the thread a couple of hours ago, about the preparing for Mass graves in the UK ??

Sounds like they are expecting some shait this fall, or trying to get us to think there is going to be alot of shait this fall ..

new topics

top topics

join