It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Jesus A Buddhist?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

I don't know....Jesus had a very short period of time to do his work. About three years from the time he was baptized to the time of his arrest. Was this before this period perhaps? Sounds interesting nonetheless. I agree that modern Christianity has missed the mark when it comes to Jesus' teachings...and he tried to make things so simple, didn't he?

btw, is that you in the pic? Love those glasses.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

yeah something fishy about the story. not saying they didn't meet someone named jesus, afterall, zeus had a lot of sons, i mean look at all his wives
www.theoi.com...

the point of contention is, if someone who called himself "son of zeus" showed up and they understood his language and his name, why would they interpret it in latin, when even in the text it was written in greek which was itself a translation of the hebrew?

interesting story, but a bit hard to believe.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Here's just a few of a plethora of examples of common teachings:

www.heartlandsangha.org...
www.johnworldpeace.com...
oregonstate.edu...

And there's an interesting book about it:

www.amazon.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
look all i was stating with my beginning post is what I MYSELF have heard from someone who heard it straight from the source. im not claiming thats where jesus went or what he did but what I am claiming is that many in india believe this to be true, and they claim to have documents to support it.

so dont attack me about it. i was stating a story i thought was interesting

[edit on 20-8-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

No...thats what Im saying..he was not written as jesus in the original scripts that make up the Bible...that is the english version translated from greek.

if you are reffering to the texts your boyfriend saw his name under..well think about it..

why would they write "Jesus" thousands of years ago when they had no concept of the word?

If thats is the case, well it would make your theory look like a noodle strainer..

but dont get me wrong..i believe the Jesus story does encounter eastern influence at some point...just maybe not where your boyfriend is saying...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Calihan...

Your post is a good one, a bunch of people would rather flame than do the research. Keep ur head up, you brought up a very good and important point.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by rjmelter]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

not attacking you hun. thanks for posting the info. i find it interesting, but some of it just doesn't make sense. that's part of discussion. perhaps he was there, not saying he wasn't, just that the description of the event is .......well let me give you an example:

guy sends me an email telling me about how he's part of a very ancient extra-terrestrial organization spoken of in the bible, who's name is an acronym, GOD, which stood for galactic order of deities (or something like that). i sent him back an email asking how it could be ancient order if the word "god" was the more modern german word "gott"? i never heard from him again. it isn't that i disagree entirely, just that i have a few questions.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I think Jesus was able to understand a little more then the Buddhist knowledge...

Jesus transformed his Earthly nature into something.....we need these bodies and our ego to transform ourselves, we are not to rid of them totally. I thought for a long time I was ridding my ego self....but I came to learn, I was only transforming it into a higher nature.

By developing our ego to its highest development (in which we learn to cherish all things, good and bad)....we are not ridding our ego but yet transforming it. We learn wisdom through our Earthly nature and we are to use this for transfiguration. Even though after this life we wont need these bodies and what comes with these bodies (such as the ego)....here, we do need them and we use them....they are tools to help us transform into a higher being.

I dont think Jesus stopped when he found Nirvana...I think he discovered there is more...always, there is more....but what the Buddha understood has its purpose and has wisdom's and can offer much growth for any soul. It teaches how to detach ones self from the material worlds...which that in itself will teach the soul many many things that are beyond this world and being.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Oh, and going back to whether Jesus was a Buddhist ...

The simple answer is no.

Not because the didn't share the same wisdom or teachings, they obviously did, but because they shared a fundamental principle:

Both teachers reject being worshipped as the personal source of salvation. They criticize their students who "worship them, but do not follow their teaching."*

So Jesus would be the last person to be a "Buddhist."

The best way that words can describe it is that Jesus was the Buddha and vice versa, and all that their teachings point to is that when liberated, all of us can be Jesus or/and the Buddha.

To paraphrase:

"Buddha is not there to create Buddhists but teaches how to realize the Buddha within us, and Christ is not there to create Christians but to realize the Christ within us."

[edit on 20 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
alright maybe i should make this story more clear, as it seems to have caused much confusion.

he didnt see an actual document. he only talked to the monks who claimed they had the document. they just said they had it written down as jesus, whether it was written in a different language or simply written as "jesus" i do not know.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

ahh, well it's interesting no doubt.
don't be offended. i think i need to get a new hobby. seems i don't come across very well in text format when the topic is questionable in my opinion. i read my stuff later and it sounds stuffy and pretentious. don't mean for it to be that way, i'm just a voracious reader

[edit on 20-8-2009 by undo]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Very interesting concept Calihan and it is very possible that Jesus did visit India and embrace the Buddhist culture. THis news article gives credence to your theory that he studied Hinduism and Buddhism in India:

www.newdawnmagazine.com...

This next news article states that Jesus even visited England and there is documented evidence to prove it!

www.dailyexpress.co.uk...

If he travvelled by foot, boat or horse it is quite possible Jesus did travel quite a lot. There is no reference to it in the bible though.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

ahh, well it's interesting no doubt.
don't be offended. i think i need to get a new hobby. seems i don't come across very well in text format when the topic is questionable in my opinion. i read my stuff later and it sounds stuffy and pretentious. don't mean for it to be that way, i'm just a voracious reader

[edit on 20-8-2009 by undo]

oh im not offended at all! i welcome criticism as it makes posts more interesting and debate is always a good thing.

just wanted to make the story a little more clear because i think i may have worded it strangely

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
There is a text that is considered by the main stream religions as a false doctrine....that tells about Jesus learning in Egypt, Tibet, and a couple other places.

Similar to what a few others is saying on here...that he learned from many religions and possibly was able to take the wisdoms from them all as well as sift out the misunderstandings from them all as well.

I will be on the hunt for that text today and if I find it I will post it.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

oh that first link gives him a name besides jesus. now we're getting somewhere. "issa" . i'll check into it. just wasn't sitting well with the idea that he went around the world calling himself "jesus" which is a greek "title" name translated into latin and then english

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Jesus was a Buddhist? This would make some sense in a way. However, Buddha never believed in God(s). He did at one point until he realized that even all the gods could not end the suffering of one human being.

I honestly think it doesn't matter if you worship a God or more then one God. As long as you love everyone and try your best to be good then we should be okay.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

heckuvalot easier to believe he'd go by a greek title name in egypt, than in india
although i'd be more inclined to believe he had an egyptian name rather than a greek one. but that's not necessarily for or against the possibility. not to mention it even relates he had spent time there as a child. THAT is real easy to see. just the farther east we go, the more complicated it gets.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
okay, found the "issa" etymology. it derives from jesus, however, which puts us right back to square one. it needs to derive from his name before it was translated into greek in order to be in the correct timeframe, unless they are suggesting he was there in a different era, even then, the idea he would be named after the english-latin version of a greek title that itself derived from hebrew, is really confusing.

but it is quite interesting!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I read somewhere that the name Isha (Issa) was a name given to the man we know as Jesus by a teacher in India. The name was given to him when the teacher understood that this man was able to understand many things and the name was like a title.

But here is the text that I read about Jesus learning in other lands...

The Gospels of the Holy Twelve are a scripture that was copied by a minister when he was in Tibet from a writing that the monestary had about the man Issa/Isha that came there to learn from them.

www.thenazareneway.com...

Within Lection 6 it says the following (verse 11-13)

11. And Iesus, after that he had finished his study of the law, went down again into Egypt that he might learn of the wisdom of the Egyptians, even as Moses did. And going into the desert, he meditated and fasted and prayed, and obtained the power of the Holy Name, by which he wrought many miracles. 12. And for seven years he conversed with God face to face, and he learned the language of birds and of beasts, and the healing powers of trees, and of herbs, and of flowers, and the hidden secrets of precious stones, and he learned the motions of the Sun and the Moon and the stars, and the powers of the letters, and mysteries of the Square and the Circle and the Transmutation of things, and of forms, and of numbers, and of signs. From thence he returned to Nazareth to visit his parents, and he taught there and in Jerusalem as an accepted Rabbi, even in the temple, none hindering him. 13. AND after a time he went into Assyria and India and into Persia and into the land of the Chaldeans. And he visited their temples and conversed with their priests, and their wise men for many years, doing many wonderful works, healing the sick as he passed through their countries.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12
i think he was anything really EXCEPT for what mainstream religion views him as. I dont believe one word of anything ive heard at church, I am sorry. I think things make a lot more sense when you really look into them, and not a bunch of mystical stories of gods and virgins being pregnant and all these crazy things that dont seem to happen nowadays... but we sure do believe it happened back then.

cmon, im not that naive. there are simpler answers to our questions.

If you think for yourself and question all that is around you, you realize most of what we are told does not and can Not make sense at all.....

The only thing that is true is that we the people are lied to often.....the only reason these lies are believed is that they are soooo big and in such detail that nobody would ever think otherwise......

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join