It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Jesus A Buddhist?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiritfilled

No need for name calling, calm down. S-Dog stated what he felt and he is right. He is not a fool either, so your comment was not only mis-placed, but inaccurate. You also missed the MEANING of his post, so great job

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Sokay myth ...

Once the mind and ego is invested into an external conceptualized notion of "God" as a thing, it reacts very violently when confronted with truth.

Religions are created on that very premise.

And so it goes ...

[edit on 19 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritfilled
reply to post by schrodingers dog

jesus, islam, and countless other religions did NOT say man was divine at all you fool.
we are created beings, not gods.

Psalm 82

1God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

2How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.

3Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.

4Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.

5They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.

6I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

7But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.

8Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

In fact, when Jesus makes reference to being the son of god, he is quoting this verse.

John 14

20At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

Jesus also calls those around him "brothers". What do you suppose that means?

Also, I'm betting you will be one who says only by Jesus can one come to the father. Quoting John 14:6?

John 14

6Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

But you notice he is stating what he is in that verse? Need proof otherwise? How about from the same exact chapter?

John 14

24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Explain that!

You speak from a place of hatred, and cling to that which makes you feel as if you are superior to others, simply because of a belief.

Be gone, your kind is no longer needed. If you knew the father, you would be rich in spirit and understanding, rather than hatred.

[edit on 8/19/2009 by badmedia]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

Hey OP

I read this book many years ago on the subject.

The Lost Years of Jesus: Documentary Evidence of Jesus' 17-Year Journey to the East

Elizabeth Claire Prophet

It is written by her but it is journals of people that journeyed there much like your bf.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cindymars

Hey OP

I read this book many years ago on the subject.

The Lost Years of Jesus: Documentary Evidence of Jesus' 17-Year Journey to the East

Elizabeth Claire Prophet

It is written by her but it is journals of people that journeyed there much like your bf.

very cool. im gonna have to look that book up and check it out, sounds like a good read!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Btw, there is no need for Jesus to need to go to those places in order to have the understanding he spoke. That understanding does not come from any religion, or even any man. The understanding and wisdom he speaks comes only from the father, and it is impossible for another man or earthly things to give it.

But it is certainly no coincidence that those with understanding speak about the same things. It's available to all those who seek it, regardless of race, social status or culture.

Those who argue over the expressions and see differences between them are those who lack real understanding. Like 2 people who don't understand math, and 1 side argues 1+1=2 and the other side argues 4+4=8. They don't recognize the truth in the other side because they do not actually understand, they have only accepted. And those who accept deny themselves any real understanding.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I disagree that religions are created because of ego and the need to be right.

I see people bashing religion all the time, saying that the only function of religion is manipulation. That the world would be more evolved without religion. But I wholeheartedly disagree. In my perspective whoever says this has only a very minuscule and detail oriented view of the history of religion.

I like to look way back when "civilization" as we know it didn't exist. Religion was basically a tradition of knowledge and information to help one live in their respective conditions (social and environmental).

Maybe I misunderstood your post.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Geladinhu]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

You speak from a place of hatred, and cling to that which makes you feel as if you are superior to others, simply because of a belief.

Like I said ...

Because religion in many cases is really ideology. I'm not condemning all religions because that would not be correct, but to a large extent people have not freed themselves from their identification with their conditioned thinking. I know that at the core of each religion there is the truth, heavily obscured in some cases, but it's there. What happens when an organization arises is the amplification of the ego, the ego-ic mind structures.*

Be gone, your kind is no longer needed. If you knew the father, you would be rich in spirit and understanding, rather than hatred.

Indeed ...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12
WEIRD i did not know a movie came out today called jesus in india.

ironic

well it's not ironic
I think the word your looking for is that it's a coincidence

Anyhow check out the videos
very in-depth!

Alot of research was done and it most definately seems that what you originally said in your post is true!

Let me know what you think if you get the chance to watch the videos

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Would you mind explaining to me what a coincidence is?
From the understanding that I have of that word, I don't believe its real.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Geladinhu

I disagree that religions are created because of ego and the need to be right.

Mmm, and who or what do you think it is that is disagreeing?

Maybe I misunderstood your post.

I think so G,

I'm more than happy to discuss this in the right thread and forum as I really would rather not derail this thread any further than it already has been.

But all I was simply saying is that Jesus and the Buddha were teaching, or rather pointing to, the same thing.

Amazing how threatening that is to some folk isn't it?
And that is the ego protesting.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by cindymars

I read that book a long time ago... and I was trying to think of the title to tell my wife, so she too can read it. Greatly Appreciated!!!

BTW: Love the avatar... Big Farscape fan!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I am in agreement with you. It starts out with truth, and then it gets manipulated and so forth into a system of control.

It happens in all things and is the status quo of this world and those who seek power. It doesn't just happen in religion, but it happens in politics, and anything that gives power.

I actually first noticed it in politics. And then I seen it in religion. What Jesus is actually talking about is no where near what the church and religion is talking about. In fact, they are doing everything he says not to do, and is completely the opposite. Christianity is actually the "anti-Christ" religion, because it is based on acceptance over understanding.

People are blinded from the true meaning, and given replacements instead.

But how do we get that understanding and real truth back out? If you denounce religion completely, you play the evil for them. So you have to stay in the confines of that religion and show the real understanding within their own scriptures. I think that is the same thing Jesus did. He quoted scripture because that is what the people accepted, and so he would show what it really meant.

Matthew 7

28And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these sayings, the people were astonished at his doctrine:

29For he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I am in agreement with you. It starts out with truth, and then it gets manipulated and so forth into a system of control.

Ah, I misunderstood, I thought the "be gone with you" was directed at me.

Edited to compensate for stupidity.

But how do we get that understanding and real truth back out?

Here's the good news ... NOTHING needs to be done.

Everything that is required and everything there is we already know.

So it's a simple (and proportionally tortuous to one's identification with the mind) process of peeling back all the layers of concepts and information we pile on that obscure what we all KNOW and is divine beyond any concept of an external God.

No seeking required.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

The Jewish historian Josephus in his first works The Jewish War tels of the building of a Jewish temple in Egypt By th ehigh priest Onias III. That temple held the real priest hood of the Jewish faith. They were from the line of Zodikite. Who was of the tribe of Levi.

Which would of made the true temple in Egypt. The priest in it the true priest that taught the right teachings. It's very possible Jesus also studied there and thats why his teachings seem more mystical.

It would also explain why the priesthood in Jerusalem didn't agree with his actions or his teachings. It would explain why he called them snakes and vipers and said the scribes had lying pens.

When that temple was destroyed the true line of high priest were not allowed to go to the temples in Jerusalem.

Why would that be? Possibly they were not teaching the same thing or someone was twisting the teachings.

Maybe the true religion Jesus was trying to teach wasn't so far from the buddhist beliefs.

On Jesus in India I've heard this before but I don't remember if they thought this was before or after the crucifixtion. Stories of Jesus or a man very similar to him seem to of been in all cultures. It seems possible it could of either been him or we seemed to of had a period in time where there were group of men like him.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

The message from Jesus was one of love and civility. Does it really matter where or who it came from?

Even the Muslims see him as a great man and prophet. His message is often lost by those caught up in the silliness of the argument of which church is right and what scriptures are translated correctly along with all the other meaningless nonsense.

It is so simple "a child could understand", and yet so many struggle with it. Love your neighbors, do no harm to others and that is about all there really is too the message. Peace and Love are simple concepts, everything else is just a way of clouding the water by those opposed to the concept. Only the Word matters.

It is this constant arguing over minutia in meanings and which denomination of which religion is right that destroys the message.

Believe or not believe, it is hard to argue the message is a bad one.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

No worries, I thought there had to be somekind of misunderstanding going on, wasn't sure what was misunderstood though. I thought you were saying I was being hypocritical because I told him to "be gone", which I couldn't really deny.

I know the rest of what you say is true, I've been "to the bottom of the rabbit hole" and back, and the understanding I have comes from the father. It was the father that taught me not to look at labels and such, but to instead look at the understanding behind it, as that was the purpose of those things to begin with. IE: Do not focus on Jesus, but instead the understanding he teaches. When I read someone like Jesus, I see the father in him.

I can hardly talk about Jesus without being equated being and meaning the same thing Christians do. Or without someone thinking I'm one of "them", so that is where the bit of "Be gone" towards him comes from.

But how do I get someone who is focused on the external to look within to see the truth? This has somewhat become my #1 goal in life. Not to promote a religion or anything, but to show people how to understand and so forth. And I'm surely not convinced such is possible, I had to have the desire myself to find what I found, nobody put it in me.

I am certainly of no authority and would reject any such positions, the only real truth is found within, and while I may be able to express it, I am unable to ultimately give the understanding directly to someone.

But it is hell for me to watch people walk in darkness. Especially when I see suffering as a result.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   

But how do I get someone who is focused on the external to look within to see the truth?

You cannot ... any more than trying to convince someone that rain isn't "bad weather" or to stop them from resisting what is.

It takes a tremendous amount of effort to sustain such an existence, to maintain this mind made self imprisonment. Sometimes folk just get tired and spontaneously stop. Sometimes it just dawns on them that living through the mind is like letting the engine steer the car. Unfortunately sometimes what it takes is a tremendous amount of suffering to come to the realization. Others grasp it in their last moments of existence in this form. And others never see it and keep coming back until they do.

But you cannot drag them through it.
You cannot take them there simply because there is no there.

All one can do, the same way that the great teachers such as Jesus, the Buddha, and many others do, is point inwards ...

This has somewhat become my #1 goal in life.

Who's goal?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Well, pointing it out for people is all I do, because it's really all I can do, even if I wanted to do more.

But what I fear is that it's gonna be that "extreme suffering" that shows people. Because it wasn't until I no longer trusted any man that I started looking elsewhere and stopped accepting.

I can't disagree with you, but I don't want to accept it and feel I must do what I can, even though I realize other things about "I" to begin with. I think - what if it was in reverse, or even - what if it is in reverse.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

That position, like all positions, has to be let go as well. It is a perfect indication of the trappings of the mind made self. Namely to trick you into believing that you are realized when you are not. Being "spiritual, a seeker, wanting to help, suffering by proxy, taking a position on whether suffering has a nature itself and qualifying it as a "bad" thing, are perfect opportunities to realize that the mind is still in control. All of it has to and will eventually be dropped. The good news as I said above, is that we all already have what is required to do so.

Having said all of that, none of it is really true.
At least not in the sense that it is the "truth," as that notion also has to be dropped. Part of your frustration, and the reason all the above is nothing more than a pointer, is that words are simply not the way.

The answer does not come in the form of a description or phrase; it is a direct experience. And this experience, your livingness, always transcends any words or intellectual answer. In fact, the truth of your being is eternally transcending itself. As soon as it projects itself out as something, even as a profound insight, it has already transcended it. So eventually the inquiry wears itself out. You wear yourself out. You wear your ego self out. You wear your spiritual self out. You wear it all out. You’ve inquired yourself out of this whole thing, and you’re disappearing faster than you can put yourself together.*

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join