It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real PipBoy! (ATS on your wrist!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
For those of you that simply can't WAIT to get back on ATS, or find yourselves wanting to do OTHER things at the same time as ATS...here's your chance!

Parvus Corporation, a U.S. subsidiary of the EuroTech Group, has engineered Zypad WR1100, a rugged wrist-worn PC designed for use in harsh environmental conditions. Zypad meets specific military standards related to control of electromagnetic interference and compliance with strict emissions measures, making it an ideal solution for military, homeland defense, first responder, security, and emergency service fields, and in-vehicle applications. The WR1100 can be quickly configured to access any remote host system through wired or wireless interfaces using the Linux Kernal 2.6 operating system.

Link to Source

Link to Vendor (parvus)

Sign me Up!!!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/eb70765b5cce.jpg[/atsimg]

Zypad WR1100 integrates a number of innovative features, including WPAN (Bluetooth or ZigBee) and WLAN (IEEE 802.11 b/g Wi-Fi) wireless radio interfaces, a GPS receiver, and electronic compass for location detection, along with a biometric fingerprint sensor. It also includes a tilt and dead reckoning system that detects the position of the user’s arm, going into standby mode when the arm is hanging down beside the body. The WR1100 has an anytime-anywhere tracking system, for use in search and rescue operations, which can be activated if the user has been motionless for a specific period of time. An important benefit in use of the WR1100 is its modularity. The Zypad has the ability to change device functions by simply replacing a module. Using the add-on module expansion system, which includes as standard, GPS or WWAN + GPS, quick changes in the configuration of the device through a plug-and-play and hot swap operations, are easily accomplished. Other standard modules include DGPS and SBAS (WASS, EGNOS), as well as the modular 3.6V Li-Ion interchangeable battery pack. Special order modules include: WWAN – GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS, WWAN + GPS – GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTs, all with an internal antenna. Zypad uses 128 MB Flash memory and 256 MB RAM, as well as an SD card memory expansion; it also includes USB device and USB host ports (one each), as well as stereo audio and mono microphone interfaces. The unit’s 3” x 5” monitor has a VGA 640 x 480 high visibility color display with touch screen and automatic contrast. The display screen allows users to view data and images in either direct sunlight or through use of the night-vision option. Zypad WR1100 uses a cursor pad and virtual QWERTY onscreen keyboard for quick functional performance. The entire WR1100’s unit in enclosed in a special fiberglass reinforced nylon-magnesium alloy case giving it durability, protection from the elements, and minimum weight - Zypad’s computer core weighs in at 1.42 lbs, and the wrist support weighs only 0.26 lbs. The ergonomic design of the unit provides for easy detachment of the core computing system from the wrist support with use of one hand.

I'm really glad they didn't done it up by putting windoze on it.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Awesome, just like the one from Fallout 3.

Linux is the best choice for something like this... the last thing you need is a blue screen while checking a real time map on the battle field.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
hells yea how cool is this!
and yea linux is the good choice here

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
haha I'll wait until they fix all the bugs and make that thing a little smaller.... imagine the looks you would get walking around with that big computer on your wrist... lol, you can get all the hot chicks......

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Now that is one spectacularly neat piece of kit ... thanks for sharing

And the price ? Not stated ... you have to write off for a quote.

Oh well. Another time perhaps

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Not quite as Steampunk as the Fallout3, but still kind of neat.
Reminds me of the old one in the Commander Keen games.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Seems kind of big. I can tape an iphone to my wrist and get most of those features.

Maybe the pic just makes it look big?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Seems kind of big. I can tape an iphone to my wrist and get most of those features.

Maybe the pic just makes it look big?

Tape in iPhone to your wrist. :p too rich. with uh...duct tape?
nah, that'll look fine.
hehe, you're pretty awesome.

The entire WR1100’s unit in enclosed in a special fiberglass reinforced nylon-magnesium alloy case giving it durability, protection from the elements, and minimum weight

The picture is a little large...wish I could see it on an arm...but yeah, my guess is that it's a little bit bigger than an iPhone taped to your wrist.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I'd much rather buy other things or create my own, that one costs 7000USD. I could create something better(lol)

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Wow a real life pip boy, it kinda looks wierd walking around with it though.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Within 3 months that thing will look like those car battery sized cell phones.

No thanks, I'll await the molar implant.

I can already type with my tongue.

Or get one of these

[edit on 19-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
Not quite as Steampunk as the Fallout3, but still kind of neat.
Reminds me of the old one in the Commander Keen games.

Give it a while and someone is sure to do a steampunk mod on one of those. If it only had a green screen. Check out this sweet steampunk laptop...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Sweet, a pip boy! now they'll probably announce Vaults too

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

I wonder how hot this gadget gets?

If I sit and rest my laptop in my lap I can actually feel the burn. I'm not sure if its the wireless unti or the heat off the CPU or what but there is definitely a burning.

Is this device as dangerous as cellphones when it comes to cancer rates?
Study: Long-term cellphone use raises brain tumor risk
news.zdnet.com...

In any event...this gadget looks cool but how practical is it to have it strapped to your wrist? I could strap an Ipod to my wrist if I wanted to and get the same effect...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
reply to post by KSPigpen

I wonder how hot this gadget gets?

If I sit and rest my laptop in my lap I can actually feel the burn. I'm not sure if its the wireless unti or the heat off the CPU or what but there is definitely a burning.

Is this device as dangerous as cellphones when it comes to cancer rates?
Study: Long-term cellphone use raises brain tumor risk
news.zdnet.com...

In any event...this gadget looks cool but how practical is it to have it strapped to your wrist? I could strap an Ipod to my wrist if I wanted to and get the same effect...

Well, it's on the website of a military equipment vendor...I'm guessing it's not really meant for mainstream geeks like us.
I would be willing to be, that since it's 7 grand, it probably works pretty well. There are a lot of optional modules as well.

Since it's running Linux, the processor doesn't have to be so speedy, and thus hot...but will still perform well...

I remember the wearable computers a few years back and they all focused more on the eyepiece type of display...I wonder what all a soldier could do with one of these...it would just be cool to play with, but yeah, would probably end up in the drawer in my tech closet along with the other things I thought would be cool to play with.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
The difference between that and taping an iphone to your wrist, is that an iphone is so fragile if you look at it funny or insult it, it might break.

This thing will probably be tougher than tundra or rugby cellphones. Its like a toughbook mounted on your arm.

Not really great for the civilian world, but I can imagine numerous military and industrial applications. I imagine that the first armor plated SARCOS exoskeletons, aka power armor, will have a device like this on the wrist that acts as an interface with the system, FBCB2, and eventually even a fire control system for the weapons carried by the user.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49b07b7d58f7.jpg[/atsimg]

All of that will go into the "PipBoy" on your forearm.

[edit on 22/8/09 by MikeboydUS]

new topics

top topics

join