It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tasered Homeless Man Catches on Fire

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by aleon1018
reply to post by Keyhole

There's rubber bullets and pepper bullets aren't there?

Well, the thing is, an officer that's a bit too overzealous or one that's been locked into a condition red mindset due to an overwhelmingly critical situation (to a common police officer) is likely to be a little... generous... in discharging their weapon. In a situation like that, it is very easy to BEAT A PERSON TO DEATH with rubber bullets. There's a minimum range involved, very specific training with regards to target zones on the human body, and if those aren't followed, the "less-lethal" rounds become remarkably more so.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bigstone

I think the officer who tased the guy was acting without thinking.

We seem to be saying that more and more often.

IMO, the police abused the new toy. They need it taken away, a little time out from their playthings.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Look at this
www.boston.com...

Now they are going to start needing a utility belt just like Batman only much bigger to carry all the weapons they have.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It is somewhat confusing how these guy get their weapons mixed up. I guess they'll have to paint them different colors also?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griever0311
Not trying to sound too "the man-supportive" here, but I'm gonna have to disagree with everyone that says tasers should be banned, or their use discontinued. I understand that there is a potential for misuse, but nothing else an officer carries is capable of instant, first-shot incapacitation. I've seen it myself; guys on PCP can take a dozen gunshots center mass and not go down, CS just straight doesn't affect some people, mace can be tolerable, and OC DOES NOT work on contact (doesn't take long, but there's a split-second there, and a lot of people can power through the pain). With electrical less-lethal devices, you get first-shot incapacitation every time, because it simply shuts the target's body down, AND gives them an incentive to cease their attack.

As much as I don't want to sound like I'm in favor of cops making poor decisions, I have to agree with MOST of what you said, and a lot of the sentiment here. All cops are not bad. We've all had the discussion quite a few times. Tazer's themselves are not bad. Poorly trained, or poorly balanced cops using tazers ARE bad. Not AS BAD as when they didn't have the tazers to use instead of their guns, but still bad.

The point I disagree with is the 'first-shot incapacitation every time' I've seen guys get up, while being tazed and run like freekin' cheetahs. So, no....not every time, but damn NEAR every time.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
guys

Cops are supposed to be heroic
tasering homeless people is cowardly

you want to look at cops as heroes not cowards!

Cops being heroes are a thing of the past!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

No this is NOT the same incident of a man bursting into flames, that thread can be found in related threads link below.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Did this happen because of tasers? Where is that link I want to read it.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
If you ban Tasers, you effectively remove one less lethal option for police officers.

For every person you save from having their clothing catch fire through being tased - you will have a dozen who are shot to death because they were not incapacitated by OC and grew increasingly violent.

In attempting to improve safety for perpetrators, you're actually making life more dangerous for them.

You know what, on second thoughts I think it's a great idea, let's ban tasers.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Retseh]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Do police officers even use mace anymore?

Besides shooting people, that use to be a common way of subduing people.

I am still neutral on the tasers. Maybe police should have uniformed rules on exactly when or under what conditions tasers can be used.

Maybe the idea is to SIMPLE.....

If you feel it necessary to make the suspect compliant, then use Mace.
If you feel it necessary to draw a firearm, then use the Tazer.
If the Tazer just pisses the suspect off, fire at will ............

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

A similar incident happened in Warburton,Western Australia on July 21.
WA Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan said "Mitchell was a known petrol sniffer and violent offender in the Aboriginal community" and still got tasered rather than hosed down.

Man catches fire after use of Taser July 21, 2009 Western Australia's top cop has defended the use of a Taser gun on a man who burst into flames after allegedly running at police with fuel and a cigarette lighter. Police say Ronald Mitchell, 36, caught alight when police used a Taser on him after responding to reports of petrol sniffing in the remote desert community of Warburton, 1,540km northeast of Perth, on Monday. WA Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan said Mitchell was a known petrol sniffer and violent offender in the Aboriginal community. Mitchell ran from a house at police officers carrying a cigarette lighter and a container believed to contain fuel, police said. They said he was asked to stop but he continued running toward them before the Taser was used.

Zelong.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   

The department's policy warns against using Tasers when flammable chemicals may be present. Bailey says officers acted appropriately.

www.cbsnews.com...

If their policy warns against it how did the officers act appropriately. That doesn't make sense.

I'm not against tasers but I think officers are starting to rely on them to much.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

S&F

I too am quite concerned about the abuse of these tasers.

They've tasered folks over the stupidest incidents as well.

I can't see tasering an old lady for having a hissy fit over a stinking traffic ticket....like what is THE POINT?!?! It's a TRAFFIC TICKET, HELLO!!!!!!

They've let the genie out of the bottle allowing this dangerous device and I don't know how to put it back in.

From my perspective, it seems as if they're looking for opportunities to use this thing and for petty offenses too!

I'm not a fan at all....

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
If any of you ever catch me tazering anyone, I want you to shoot me.

Put a round in me and do it fast, I'll be eternally grateful.

I cannot imagine myself torturing someone with electricity to force their compliance and I hope that if I ever did do that, someone would make it the last thing I do.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

I cannot imagine myself torturing someone with electricity to force their compliance and I hope that if I ever did do that, someone would make it the last thing I do.

"torturing" is a good term Exuberant1 as it is a form of torture.Taser's should be outlawed too many things are going wrong with the use of them.
Basically force is to be used equally against a force.
Use a gun against a gun,Use a gun against a knife,where does a Taser fit in here? Tase a gunman he will fire,tase a knife-man does Not Disarm him.
Tase anyone over 45y risk heart attack,possible fractures from hitting the ground and flapping around like a fish out of water.

There was a sad case again in Perth(WA) February last year,
Constable Matthew Butcher ended up in a wheel chair after miss using a Taser on a father and the son run at him driving him into the footpath.

Tasers are creating extra problems for the police forces!
Google "police taser" in your country something will come up.

Zelong.

[edit on 20/8/09 by Zelong]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
So - you would rather have dead cops and more dead suspects instead? It's a good thing people like you are not in charge.

Tase a gunman he will fire,tase a knife-man does Not Disarm him

Taze either and they fall to the ground in pain? If they don't disarm then taser them again. Or would you rather shoot them? And now it's supposed to be TASERS that are bad?

Tase anyone over 45y risk heart attack,possible fractures from hitting the ground and flapping around like a fish out of water.

OH BOO HOO.

Shoot someone in the head and then there's "mashed potato". Get real. You do know that Mace can cause allergic reactions, right? With your analysis mace would be banned too because it was too dangerous, with the only backup being GUNS... but of course, they're not dangerous at all right?

[edit on 20/8/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

But did you Google "police taser" C0bzz ? your in OZ you should as your grounded to it.

WA Police import 10,000 Tasers to Trail them 2years ago!!

Tasers 'should be withdrawn' from WA 21/07/2009

There are calls for Tasers to be withdrawn from use by Western Australian Police. A Warburton man burst into flames after being stunned and is in a critical condition in hospital.

Western Australia started this so called trial and there's been nothing but Wrong doing with these Tasers!!

Taser's are instigators,who ever gets Tasered, it starts off a hole new aggravation,onlookers get involved because what you see is not right!

Taser didn't work here
on The Wizard.

police taser (AUS)

Zelong.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

So if I catch you applying less than lethal force to an assailant, you want me to apply lethal force to you.

And the 2009 award for logic goes to...........

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join