It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tasered Homeless Man Catches on Fire

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Tasered Homeless Man Catches on Fire

www.cbsnews.com

Police in Ohio say officers using a new Taser stun gun briefly set a homeless man on fire while trying to subdue him.

A police report in Lancaster (LANG'-kuh-stur), about 30 miles southeast of Columbus, says one officer had seen the man inhaling a chemical from an aerosol can Monday night. That officer and another then struggled with the suspect, and the Taser was used. A flame appeared on the man's chest, and officers patted it down.

Police Chief David Bailey says 31-year-old Daniel Woo
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Man set alight after being hit with Taser

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
No this is NOT the same incident of a man bursting into flames, that thread can be found in related threads link below.

That means this is the second incident of someone bursting into flames.

The man looks insane if you look at his picture but remember he is homeless. You can't expect Tom Cruises on streets.

Anyhow, i'm not making this thread because of police brutality, but because of tasers.

BAN THIS WEAPON!!!!!!!!

There's soo many different scenarios that can happen with different people with different liquids or devices inside of them, or even maybe high cholesterol or high blood pressure.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Do police officers even use mace anymore?

Besides shooting people, that use to be a common way of subduing people.

I am still neutral on the tasers. Maybe police should have uniformed rules on exactly when or under what conditions tasers can be used.

CX

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
BAN THIS WEAPON!!!!!!!!

Nice idea but it won't happen.

Also, with the way some cops are so trigger happy with a Tazer these days, i'd rather be Tazed than shot.

I can't see why they can't use other non-lethal weapons if the Tazers are getting so much bad feedback.

Then again, whilst this is another of many negative reports on Tazers, you'd probably need another forum section to house the thousands of incidents when the result has been positive.

It's always the same, you'll only get to hear of the bad things the cops do.

Especially on ATS. Thats not a dig at the site, but at the amount of obvious cop haters here who have no flexibility in their judgement of police officers.

CX.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I was tasered at a hospital and let go.........or walked out, I can't recall exactly.

But I did have the taser prongs in my belly for a week or two after that, until a different hospital took them out.

I would think if they just had laser pointers on their night sticks and lights, this might stop some people in their tracks. The pepper spray should also be effective, but according to some prison documentaries, people will usually still have to be sprayed anyway.

Now they have wireless tasers? Pretty soon most people will have to wear shock collars or similar metods to take them down like the sheep or goats that have seizures.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Aren't police officers trained to not use tasers when confronting someone around flamables? Especially when that someone is useing and probably spilling the flamables all over him?

I think the officer who tased the guy was acting without thinking.

At least they put him out though.

Did you see the guy?! Man does he look out of it.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
It's always the same, you'll only get to hear of the bad things the cops do.

Especially on ATS. Thats not a dig at the site, but at the amount of obvious cop haters here who have no flexibility in their judgement of police officers.

Of course it's like that.
If police officers are doing their jobs right then they are doing their job right. I don't get mass applauses when I do my job right?
But like officers I might get a raise or a promotion.

This is life, it's not focusing on the bad and not on the good
It's more Bad vs. things going the way they should anyhow.

Plus lately, I think every cop i've seen in the last year or so seem to all be on a power trip, as if it's part of their training.

Is that protect and Serve?
To be overly authorative on the person your employed to protect?

Sorry dude, doesn't fly!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If this fella caught fire from a small quantity of aerosol imagine the impact if a cop used a taser on someone in crystal meth lab.

Tasers have their place in the law enforcement arsenal but it seems as though that are being used as a crutch lately. I guess officers don't want to risk getting mace on themselves on a windy day.

Law Enforcement needs to use more of these rather than tasers. Especially the jpx

[edit on 19-8-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

At least they put him out though.

Uh, YAY!!!

Apparently there is some sort of rule...when they light a guy on fire, they have to put him out, unless the flames are over four inches high...in which case they should stand back and protect themselves.

They used to use their nightsticks to beat the fires out, but they found it was often misinterpreted.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
You can get tasered for doing Whip-Its? What the eff is wrong with this country really?

1. Yea it's stupid, but it's his choice to do that "drug."

2. They know this man has a flamable gas/liquid in his hand and might have it on his clothes.

3. A homeless man with a can of aerosol does not sound like enough of a threat by any means to need that type of force when there are 2 officers present.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
So how long before we start seeing videos on YouTube of stupid drunk teenagers intentionally trying to taze the homeless into fireballs?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by aleon1018

Now they have wireless tasers?

Didn't know they had wireless tasers until you mentioned it and I did a little search, ...

Taser XREP delivers wireless shocks from 100 feet away
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b1ad37214bf2.jpg[/atsimg]

This Taser XREP can deliver a wireless electric shock from over 100 feet away, and from the looks of it, you don't want to be on its receiving end. Its Neuro-Muscular Incapacitation (NMI) is the same disabling effect delivered by wired Taser weapons. Loaded into an ordinary 12-gauge shotgun, it's designed into a 14-gram package small enough to fit into a gun barrel, yet it can travel at 300 feet per second.

As the self-contained XREP wireless Taser round exits the shotgun barrel, three fins pop out to stabilize it as it flies through the air. Its four electrodes on the front each have a barb that can penetrate clothing and embed itself into the body of its victim. It will continue shocking its victim for 20 seconds,

Bet it doesn't feel very good being hit by a 12 gauge like slug moving at 300 feet per second and then getting shocked!

And look at the size of those barbs!
OUCH!

Apparently they were suppose to go into full production in 2008, according to one article.

[edit on 8/19/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

We don't need to be banning anything. What we need to do is re-evaluate and train officers to understand that this is a less than lethal weapon, as opposed to "Non-lethal". Secondly, we have to find the cause of this fire. The Taser was not the only component of this.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
we have to find the cause of this fire. The Taser was not the only component of this.

There are MANY causes of many potential events
pacifier, alcohol, that green stuff people smoke that I can't mention on ATS, asthma, etc... etc.... etc...

Forget it!
Too many to list, and for the amount of time that Tazers have been out and how many deaths have occured already and they didn't do any tests yet to find other components..... forget ittt!!!!!

Find the cause of the fire, please!
If there's kerosene on the floor what causes the fire, kerosene or the match?

BAN IT!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
You know,

Everyone used to bitch at how the cops were shooting and killing people who didn't 'need' shooting. How they reacted improperly, responded with too much force and so on.

Or they complained that police used their billy clubs or night sticksto subdue a problem person.

And then people complained at how much pepper spray and mace was being used.

Well folks, guess what, tasers do less harm than getting shot with bullets, or beaten with billy clubs/nightsticks, and unlike pepper spray/mace once the person is subdued and the switch let go, the pain stops. Unlike Pepper spray/mace.

Then there are some people mace/pepper spray has no effect on. Or they are so doped up that the spays do not even register in the peoples senses.
We had just such a public display in California recently where a person who had threatened the President, apparently was immune to the mace/pepper spray.

I have yet to hear of an incident where anyone was immune to a taser.

Yes, police brutality can happen, fortunately it is the EXCEPTION and not the rule.

And guess what, 99% of everyone who got tased, lived to bitch about it.

Go back to 5-10 years ago and compare the people who got wrongly shot to those who got 'wrongly' tased, and then tell me how many lived through it.

Seriously, I'd rather hear someone got 'wrongly' tased, than wrongly shot and killed.

Call me what ever names you like, but we as a society are safer for the police using tasers than their guns.

Get rid of tasers and you are asking for more wrongful death incidents.

M.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Moshpet]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The answer to our problems in life isn't to ban the perceived cause of it. These things don't work. You can blame the person all you want, and that is really what it boils down to. The object, on the other hand, is just a tool. Don't blame the tool.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Thanks to this, the law enforcement could design a taser that shoots out flammable liquid and then hit the person with a taser causing the person to combust. Frightening weapon that could be a powerful deterrent to would be rioters, protestors, etc. A weapon perfect under a police state. Crap I'm giving out these nasty ideas.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

That seems like it could be more lethal to me. It did cross my mind about this type of device used to stop vehicles though. I suppose they've already done that as well anyway. This wireless taser would also be cost prohibitive. There's rubber bullets and pepper bullets aren't there?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

CX.
try being a minority then lets see how much you love cops.

all individual cops arent bad, but as a whole they are.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Not trying to sound too "the man-supportive" here, but I'm gonna have to disagree with everyone that says tasers should be banned, or their use discontinued. I understand that there is a potential for misuse, but nothing else an officer carries is capable of instant, first-shot incapacitation. I've seen it myself; guys on PCP can take a dozen gunshots center mass and not go down, CS just straight doesn't affect some people, mace can be tolerable, and OC DOES NOT work on contact (doesn't take long, but there's a split-second there, and a lot of people can power through the pain). With electrical less-lethal devices, you get first-shot incapacitation every time, because it simply shuts the target's body down, AND gives them an incentive to cease their attack.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join