It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food for the masses. Aquaponics you can do in your home.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
aquaponics - the merge between aeroponics and aquaculture. Simply put. Fish tank water is filtered through grow beds and recirculated back into the pond. Advantages over traditional methods is 15% of the water used by traditional growing, faster and denser growth of veggies, fish growth = to amount of food given.
One 80 gal fish tank holds at least 80 up to 160 fish ie.. talapia harvestable in 7 months avg 1 lb. this tank feeds two 4x8 grow beds. Replensh water at 1% per week = a gallon. No weeds to pull. Much fewer pests to control. 15 mins/ day to test temp/water variables. NO pesticides allowed since they would kill the fish! In fact only use natural ph adjustments if necessary.

Food quantity
An Aquaponic farm of 2 acres with 12 greenhouses in the east us produces enough food to feed 2000 people a year. Try that with agriculture!

attra.ncat.org...

Tom once calculated the farm produces 45 to 70 pounds of produce for every pound of tilapia, an impressive yield. However, Paula explained this figure takes into account the cumulative yields of multiple vegetable crops raised during the 7- to 12-month time period required to raise fish to harvest.

www.growseed.org...
backyardaquaponics.com...
aquaponics.20megsfree.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Thank you very much for this! I'm hoping to be able to cut the scale down like a cake recipe or something. It's gonna take a few days to get through all of this. Great job!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
A US source for the systems is www.aquaponics.com...

I've been looking at one of these systems for months. I Just can't yet afford it.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Please don't waste money buying a "system" it is very simple. The Inca's used similar techniques by making floating growbeds in ponds.

If you have access to food or liquid quality barrels and can buy pvc pipes and a small water pump ( bilge pump $20.00) then you can start. In fact, there are designs that require no pumps.

see [email protected] group for "backyard" type aquaponic systems.

some have even set up indoors.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Yep, if I wasn't on the road so much for my "work" I would be doing this myself. I've long been a member of the backyards aquaponics forum and it is from that website that you can download the barrel ponics pdf file.

If you're really interested in giving this a try, do NOT buy one of those expensive systems. Start small. EVERY newbie to aquaponics kills some fish. Wouldn't wanna go stock an 80 gal tank with 80 talapia and loose them all. As with anything new, start small until you get the hang of it.

Another place you can read up on aquaponics is Here - [Resources]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by cnichols

Thank you for the input. Definately, if possible start small. There is a learning curve. I have purchased 3 books on the subject and have yet to get my system going..I have complications being in Arizona and not wanting to cool my growing area. I am on the verge of going partially underground with a north west facing greenhouse roof.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

Great information to add to my survival information.

Star and Flag, and thanks again.

I have heard of guppy ponics from another person in the past.

top topics

join