It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can't find server problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
is it just me, or is anyone else having trouble, everytime i went to click on a new page or different thread, i get the can't find server message, takes a few minutes then its back to normal. this has been happening to me for the past 30 minutes or so.

i'm burning a cd while visiting here and not sure if that could be the problem or if it is with the site.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I think there must a hiccup somewhere about 20 minutes ago. Happened here too. Anyone else?

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Only happenned to me once today, while trying to visit some ATSNN link. I think there's just a #load of visitors today. Everything (on ATS) is friggin slow this evening.

Looks like we're gonna need more bandwidth soon...

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Wasn't this perhaps?

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I�ve had the same problem for the last two hours. I will lose my connection to the site, regain it, then it�s slow, then fast, then lose it again��

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yeah, I have been getting similar inconveniences as well. I have had them before on this board and other places, but not as often as just now. I had to perform a few 'resets' to get things back up at least once in this time period.

This is speculation, but as it's through observation, I think it's relevant. Either there are major bandwidth demands on the ATS server lately, or intelligence agencies are having fun with us as we are looking into hot topics in current news that they would rather keep hidden.

Based on this theory, I am also willing to guess that one thing we all have in common (as in WW and "Chris") is that we have looked and/or replied to threads pertaining to the torture situation in Iraq.

Yesterday, when I posted my "it is torture, not abuse" thread, I faced port scans up the wazoo for a while.

I am probably talking to a wall at this point, but I would like to ask for some moderators or administrators to look into their server logs for suspcious hacker attacks within the last 2 hours. Things like scripts and DDOS and similar annoyances. Please do report on any findings if you come across anything.

[Edited on 5/12/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:43 PM
link   
The world seems to be denying ignorance today. With 3 hours left in the server's May 12th, 2004... we've already had 35,353 visitors view 337,086 pages on ATS... 6,136 unique visitors viewed 10,093 pages on ATSNN.com (with a big peak at 7PM EST)... and 2,166 visitors viewed 48,927 pages on TerrorAnalysis.com. We're well within our bandwidth limits, but we're testing the upper limits of the performance of our server. An upgrade of more RAM has been ordered. Relief is on the way. oh... and right now there are 1,008 simultaneous users on the discussion board. The fact that we're even up is amazing.... 1,008 users... all at once... (omg) [Edited on 12-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Theres also this:

Who's On - There are a total of 1008 users on the ATS Board. 934 guests and 74 members.

Most total users online all at once: 1008 on May, 12 @ 14:32 GMT

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Way to go SkepticOverlord
, when can we expect to see the improvement.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I ran a quick look at our database processes... 80% of them were tracking the unique IP's of all our guests. For now, I've disabled that feature to try and restore some performance.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:57 PM
link   
thanks for acknowledging and working on the issues
that's an awful lot of people visiting the site, glad it's not my other activities on my pc causing the issue.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
80% of them were tracking the unique IP's of all our guests.

Okay...who are they and why? I just had to ask this question.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I just rebooted the server, there were so many hung-up processes trying to keep up with tracking the IP's of 900 or so unique guests, that it was best to reboot rather than wait for everything to get caught up. Things should be much better now.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   

The world seems to be denying ignorance today.

With 3 hours left in the server's May 12th, 2004... we've already had 35,353 visitors view 337,086 pages on ATS... 6,136 unique visitors viewed 10,093 pages on ATSNN.com (with a big peak at 7PM EST)... and 2,166 visitors viewed 48,927 pages on TerrorAnalysis.com.

We're well within our bandwidth limits, but we're testing the upper limits of the performance of our server. An upgrade of more RAM has been ordered. Relief is on the way.

oh... and right now there are 1,008 simultaneous users on the discussion board. The fact that we're even up is amazing.... 1,008 users... all at once... (omg)

Thank you, SO. Curiously, I experienced the same thing after I made another post to a "torture or abuse?" thread. I clicked on this thread to check on reponses and oopsie 'page not available'.
I would appreciate it if my theory of hacker attacks are looked into and reported when it is convenient, however. Even if it does seem a little rambunctious and paranoid of me to ask for such a thing.

oh and also, I really do appreciate all of your efforts into the upkeep of this board. the fact that you guys are ordering more upgrades recently is a good sign of true earnest.

[Edited on 5/12/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I was having problems earlier.

Its Microsoft and yes they are part of the anti-christ

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   

An upgrade of more RAM has been ordered. Relief is on the way.

Thanks S.O., we really have the best IT Director!

I just rebooted the server, there were so many hung-up processes trying to keep up with tracking the IP's of 900 or so unique guests, that it was best to reboot rather than wait for everything to get caught up.

Damn... I simply can't imagine what kind of monster of a machine you'll need at this same time, next year, if things continu to grow at this pace.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the info. I couldn't get in AT ALL on Wednesday, about 5:00pm, EST.
Thanks, o Emperor for making this site what it is.

And yeah, m0rbid...makes you wonder if we keep growing

top topics

join