It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

writers dilemma-

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It would be correctly written as "writer's dilemma-" Not "writers dilemma-"

Just goes to show you what A grade writers are expected to know.

I won't point out the other errors in your post since this isn't an english class and I'm no teacher.

I also can't spell and have no right to judge anyone's grammar or spelling.

But...just so you know, when you post something saying your a grade-A writer and make mistakes you expect from a "1st grader writer", it makes you look a bit silly.

Less time complaining about others getting attention, flags, stars, more time polishing your pros.

Lastly...try a "writer's forum", you may find people more interested in your stories. But then again, they may rip you apart for making so many errors.

I can't tell you how un-cocky you should be about the level of writing you shared in this post. I can only hope you see it as well and understand that what you delivered was far from Grade-A writing.

Be safe, and gain wealth.

ps-I am illiterate and unable to follow the simple rules of English...AT ALL TIMES!

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Mr Mask]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
KS Pigpen,

I am so very glad you were here to highjack the thread from the OP in order to make their point for them. Kudos to you for your impeccable ability to understand something written in broken English. I am sorry that you think our written language has too many limitations for you, but I for one, appreciate a person who can write well within those confines.

Is my grammar perfect in a more social setting, like this one, or in a blog? No, far from it. But you better believe if I am writing an editorial or a short story that I go through my work with a fine-toothed comb.

My point is this: Grammar and punctuation ARE important, even if you don't need them to understand a story. This is our language and it should be protected. Now, I am not the one who should probably speak out for such protection, but its what I believe.

To the OP,

You seem to be here to discuss appreciation for your writing. I guess I understand that. But are you seeking appreciation for your ability to write creatively, or your proficiency in English? Sorry if some could understand you better than I, but some minds just think differently.

ETA: Also sorry I'm not a girl... I think?

[edit on 8/19/09 by SantaClaus]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

I am amazed to hear you say that my post was incohesive, This is just total Crap- Who the hell do you think you are??? No-One That's FOR SURE!

edit to add; have you read my stories or poetry, not that you Should like them, but that is what this post is all about, that and the Lack of support shown not just towards Myself -but to "MANY OTHERS ALSO!" PLEASE Get Your Brain In Check and Read things in Proper Order.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by catalyst2466]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigstone
reply to post by KSPigpen

Wow, I guess you told us!

I never claimed to be a better speller or writer then anybody.
Actually I read these post and see a lot of people who seem more literate than me.

I was simply agreeing in my own way.
Sorry if I offended anyone.
Like I said before I don't let what people say get to me. I have enough stress in my life.

I was trying to relay that thought.

Sorry man. It was just another Monday for me this morning. I'll learn one of these days to not take things so seriously. Didn't mean to come down so hard. You're very right, it only adds extra stress.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
For Those who are Nit Picking on grammer and petty spelling errors etc; When writing and publishing a book, these things are looked at, Why DO YOU think we have EDITOR'S, hey once again THis is What I Hate about ATS- ALL The "ARROGANT" People. Time to move on and be amongst people who are sane and in the Real world.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by catalyst2466
Is it just me- As I feel there is a lack of Support going on here. People are not coming togeather to show support for each other. There is also people that gain "Attention" and are starred and flagged when I personally do not think that they're extra oridinary writers. Why is this So? I will not have my intelligence or talent be thrown down the line. I was a an A grade English Student as well as a A grade beginner in University. So please, stop the snobery, I think I wil finish here and will finish with ATS. Its not "Spiritual" and supportive there is a different world and "Inner meanings" going On. Please get your act togeather, this is ONE of the Reasons why we as a "Whole" - Within Hummanity, -that we do not get along- Greed, Jelousy and the Like- I would rather crawl back into my haven, my Sacred abode at my little place safe from the world of evil, hatred, jelousy, etc; I Am One and Peaceful In My World of -Love and Light -Only Do I wish the World would be this way too~

catalyst2466, I read this entire thread. Your original post quoted above and the replies you received on it. By the time I reached the end, I was disturbed at the trend toward anger and animosity despite the civility displayed by a few who went ignored. It is this point that prompted me to respond.

You had replies that you did not appreciate, felt insulted by or angered by. But did you notice the ones that were genuinely supportive? Critique comes in many flavors, some may make you want to spit it right back out, but the merits of such would have been beneficial, had you swallowed your pride and opened your mind.

Support yourself. Very quickly the strength you give to yourself signals others to notice you, take you seriously and consequently, support you.

If support is not what you are truly seeking, then the animosity of your original post combined with certain members replies were appropriate in this case.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus
KS Pigpen,

I am so very glad you were here to highjack the thread from the OP in order to make their point for them. Kudos to you for your impeccable ability to understand something written in broken English. I am sorry that you think our written language has too many limitations for you, but I for one, appreciate a person who can write well within those confines.

Is my grammar perfect in a more social setting, like this one, or in a blog? No, far from it. But you better believe if I am writing an editorial or a short story that I go through my work with a fine-toothed comb.

My point is this: Grammar and punctuation ARE important, even if you don't need them to understand a story. This is our language and it should be protected. Now, I am not the one who should probably speak out for such protection, but its what I believe.

To the OP,

You seem to be here to discuss appreciation for your writing. I guess I understand that. But are you seeking appreciation for your ability to write creatively, or your proficiency in English? Sorry if some could understand you better than I, but some minds just think differently.

ETA: Also sorry I'm not a girl... I think?

[edit on 8/19/09 by SantaClaus]

Ya know, Santa, I appreciate you, man.

It wasn't my intention to hijack the thread. I voiced my opinion first, that was a commentary on what the OP expressed. The next three threads (yours included) pointed out errors that he had made in his writing, instead of taking just a little time to express any compassion or understanding. I guess I just snapped. What I perceived was people jumping on this guy, pointing out errors, just because he said he had good grades in English. The part that ticked me off was that the guys pointing out HIS mistakes, were making their own.

It wasn't my fight and I certainly should have stayed out of it. It's really none of my business what injustice anyone else in the world perceives and certainly not my business to point out any else's flaws. I suppose I just allowed myself to be overcome with sympathy for this guy and wanted to nurture a bit, instead of pointing out the obvious crap he was doing wrong.

When I was in junior high, I stood up for a friend that was being bullied and got my ass kicked. I guess I should have learned my lesson then, but I didn't.

I have no doubt that you are an excellent writer and pay close attention to your use of the language. More people (like me) should. I guess I was just trying to express, in my blown out of proportion way, that when you have such an obvious talent, maybe you could be more compassionate and helpful, rather than just asserting your superiority. But again, it was none of my business.

My sincere apologies. I'll try my best to stand on the sidelines and just watch the carnage, rather than become involved in it.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Well, since the thread is about the "lack of attention" or respect towards Grade-A writers here on ATS, and the stated problem with "lesser writers" getting way more reads then "the superior writers" such as the OP, I don't think anything posted here has been off topic.

I am saying this clearly...I work with writers, musicians, and all sorts of artists daily. It as been this way now for well over a decade.

One thing you always notice about amateur or "budding" artists is that they always seem to say things along the way of-

"How come this less talented guy gets more attention for his work when it is obviously below the level of my art?"

Let me give you some advice for your "future in writing". There are people who make millions off of low-brow unpolished gibberish, and there are people who never get noticed for their genius. This is the way of the markets that sell art.

Unless you promote, manage and sell your own work yourself, you will always be running in a rat-race that you may or may not feel treats you and your creations nice enough.

But...responding to critiques with the quintessential sand-box rhetoric of
"screw you jerks, I'm better then this place! I am leaving in a huff!"
Just doesn't fly with anyone willing to take the time to read you.

Frankly, that attitude sucks and if I knew your pen name, I'd boycott your work for reasons being that I found you way too pretentious for an "unpublished" writer.

Look...I don't know if your a good writer or not. I do know your PR skills need a lot of work. Perhaps your ego needs to be padded a little as well.

Perhaps you should start understanding the market of writing a little deeper? It is not about your ability to write, your skill level at writing, etc...its more about writing what people want to read, can't stop reading, and are drawn to read the second you begin to read the first line. Its also about winning the support of an audience.

Your OP did nothing but lead me to think that you have the unpolished views of a writer all pissed off because he isn't gaining the audience he is seeking, while "lesser artists" seem to be capitalizing on their "shabby product"

Yeah...I see a lot of that in my line of work. Yknow what happens to those types of artists? They get removed from the line up and replaced with artists willing to play better ball.

I found your original post to be petty and written badly. You say that "a forum post isn't important enough to write correctly" I say, I've heard that sort of jib before from dozens of mouths that didn't live up to their self-built hype.

A post about "other writers sucking compared to you" not only SHOULD be written perfectly, but its effect on the majority of those who read it shouldn't be disgust for your attitude. It should certainly be topped with a title that was not misspelled.

Frankly...I think you "may" be missing the point on why some folks don't read more of you.

A writer needs to be more then well versed in the language he writes in. He should also be damn good at making those who read him "enjoy the writer's presence".

Since you have dubbed all those who do not worship your utter nonsense of a post as "insane" I will return the favor with telling you...you need a lot of work before you ever get a foot in the door near publishing.

Editors are used to fix errors in soon-to-be-finished work. They don't also fix your inability to communicate to an audience.

All in all, good luck with your "superior skills", and don't give up. When your work becomes "as good" as those you mock, then you will gather whatever attention they are getting. When your work is far better then theirs, you may just get published.

PS-I suck at writing.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Frankly, I think you have "Entirely" missed the Point of my summary. The fact you and a couple of other posters would like to "Magnify" my petty grammer and spelling mistakes over the content of the message say's a lot. I did not say I was better than anyone else here, KSPigPen Clearly saw this right from the begginning. I am a fast typist and often make keyboard mistakes as well.
I will not Listen to any more of your "Superficial" and Pompous speech that very much sounds like the dribble of an Egotistical person who likes to hear they're own voice and be the centre of Attention.
I know exactly where I'm heading and it is a far more Wonderful Place as well as very Rewarding, much, much more so than a place called -ATS. BTW -You Can Eat Your own words buddy!!

[edit on 20-8-2009 by catalyst2466]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I also have dreams about being a professional writer, specifically sci fi and fantasy fiction. I am yet to publish anything, but I have many "original" ideas which I hope to turn into works which can be published.

There is one thing I do when I post to any forum when discussing "writing": I proofread my posts. If you want people to take you seriously as a writer in the English language I suggest you do the same. It's pretty much the same as a pro cricketer playing beach or action cricket. He will approach the "crease", "pad up", hold his bat, etc exactly as he would when playing for his country / province in a packed stadium. It is basically practicing good form at all times to make sure the good form comes as natural as breathing when it matters most.

If you want to write professionally it's a pretty good idea to proofread everything you write that will be read by many others. It is also a bad idea to "mouth off" at people who are actually trying to help you.

Good luck with your writing. We'll both need it

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

I honestly haven't seen any snobbery during the time I've been writing on the Space Opera. Unless, of course - you were referring to me or us. In that case

No one I've worked with since I started writing here has given me cause to wonder if I should stop or leave, or whatever. I've met some of the most interesting people and together we've created what I believe to be one hell of a story. I truly enjoy not only writing in that story, but reading what other writers contribute to the site as well.

There are people here with real talent.

Keep up the good work, writers.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I went and read quite a bit more of this thread and I have to give Kudos to SantaClaus and SKPigpen.

A good site for writers to use, that I use occasionally, anyway is the following site: www.fanstory.com

There, you can receive feedback and good critiques for your writing and hell, you may even use it as a springboard to actually get published one day.

I'm working on a three-book length sci-fi story outside of ATS which consumes a lot of my spare time as well as a supernatural thriller. Granted, I'm not published yet, but I'm getting pretty darned close to it.

In regards to what was stated previously about grammar and punctuation. I'm afraid that - yeah - it does matter. Editors aren't simply spell and grammar check from microsoft word put into a person. I know of some editors who would look at something of the calibre of your initial post and trash it without reading the story. Now, keep in mind, I'm not using that as a point to be insulting, what I'm saying is that if you expect to be taken seriously as a writer, perhaps it would do some good to do a bit more studying and practicing.

Also, just because I'm pointing that out to you doesn't mean I'm being a snob or trying to use 'snobbery' (with 2 b's) for two of you
I'm just trying to give some advice. Also, the fact that I make little to no mistakes doesn't mean I think I'm better or I'm "lording my abilities" over anyone, that just means that I won't allow myself to, how can I say this, slip.

Anyhoo.

I'll go read some of your stuff.

We have positions open in the Space Opera if any of you are interested.

Cheers!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
What I have noticed on ATS is definitely what you describe. But, you have to keep in mind that some of those writers have been here for quite a while. And some have written so many things (whether good or bad) that people just know them and know what to expect. An earlier poster suggested that you compete in the writing contest that is currently going on. I would agree. Nothing can get your name out there faster than winning a contest.

In reply to luder. YES! We need people on the USS Penelope! Badly!

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Mr. Toodles]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

KS, thanks for being the big person here. I certainly understand your viewpoint, but I would've just left the thread had you not posted what you just did.

We need people like you in the world, and your instinct is a good one. I'm sure you've done well for many people in your life. Having said that, it was never my intention to be cruel, just straightforward.

I also apologize if anything I said to anyone was construed as ill-mannered or mean.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by catalyst2466
Is it just me- As I feel there is a lack of Support going on here. People are not coming togeather to show support for each other. There is also people that gain "Attention" and are starred and flagged when I personally do not think that they're extra oridinary writers. Why is this So? I will not have my intelligence or talent be thrown down the line. I was a an A grade English Student as well as a A grade beginner in University. So please, stop the snobery, I think I wil finish here and will finish with ATS. Its not "Spiritual" and supportive there is a different world and "Inner meanings" going On. Please get your act togeather, this is ONE of the Reasons why we as a "Whole" - Within Hummanity, -that we do not get along- Greed, Jelousy and the Like- I would rather crawl back into my haven, my Sacred abode at my little place safe from the world of evil, hatred, jelousy, etc; I Am One and Peaceful In My World of -Love and Light -Only Do I wish the World would be this way too~

Well the way we can look at it is like this, when I was fifteen in the year 1980, I had ten execise books full of short stories and poems,song lyrics, the only person who ever read them was me, if you or I or anyone has one other person read their work ...wow ...that is awesome is it not?
If ten read your work, then that is eye boggling is it not?
It costs us nothing to post here in relative terms, the competition is great, so we will all benefit by this competition.
Personally Iam blown away by the standard of the contributions, and wish I had known you all when young, instead of the cut and dried stale minds I encountered as an apprentice Electrician.
Enjoy this great opportunity to read others and have others read you.
Life is about rising to a challenge not bitching and whinging about it, although Iam guilty as the next man on that count.
Persevere man, enjoy the better writers and encourage the beginner writers.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by catalyst2466

Is it just me- As I feel there is a lack of Support going on here. People are not coming togeather to show support for each other. There is also people that gain "Attention" and are starred and flagged when I personally do not think that they're extra oridinary writers.

The Writer's board, IMO, contains some of the most *clique* based star chasers here are on ATS.

They'll do anything for stars, including withholding them from others and going overboard starring and flagging their *clique mates*. In other words it's Junior High revisited. Stick around, you'll soon see who they are...

Don't let it get to you.

Be satisfied in your own work, know you've done your best and enjoy yourself here.

I'll look forward to seeing some of your work - and go hunting for some if you've already posted...

peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join