It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NJ city considers adult curfew

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Curfews might not be just for kids anymore in one city in northern New Jersey.

Officials in Paterson are considering one for people of all ages in a bid to curb violence after a spate of deadly shootings.

Several experts say they believe it would be the nation's first curfew of its type to include adults. The state ACLU says it would open Paterson to legal action.

The curfew would last for two months and would bar people from loitering outside from midnight to 7 a.m. Violators would face up to a $2,000 fine and 90 days in jail.

Source

Nightime curfews... What's next?
They say it's because of violence but if that is the case why not have done it before? Why now?

Is this just a test case to see if people go along with it before they try it in other places?

Follow this one for sure.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Just how can one city do this?

I'm definitely keeping up on this one too, warrenb.
Seems like this is everything that cities need to begin a new form of control over its citizens. There's always been violence. There always will be. So why start this "curfew" now?

It begins as a drop of water, pretty soon the bucket is overflowing.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Next thing you know whole states are and even the country will do it... More Civil Liberties are being step-on... This wont fly or last long if a good lawyer gets a hold of it... and god I can't believe I am going to say it but someone call the ACLU....... I am going to go puke now.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Well, of course, I think this is a good idea. Kind of. If people are standing in the streets lurking near apartments doing nothing at like 2am... someone should make them go away.

BUT.

I saw a report on this on the news. The total crimes for this year is still less than it was last year. So it doesn't make sense that all of a sudden they want to do this when there hasn't been a really extreme increase?

I don't know how much of this was gang-related violence. I don't know if the weapons used were registered. (Because I could get into the whole argument for more gun restriction and everyone can yell at me like usual.)

I know that on the report I saw, relatives and friends of one of the victims were arguing against this because they didn't think it would help much.

So, again, guns kill people and Americans kill people. Our crime rates are off the roof. I doubt a little curfew would chip away at the fundamental hatred and stupidity that drives our country.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
Well, of course, I think this is a good idea. Kind of. If people are standing in the streets lurking near apartments doing nothing at like 2am... someone should make them go away.

If I want to stand outside my house at 2am doing nothing that's MY prerogative to do so... AND I wish someone would try to make me go away. Loitering laws already take care of "lurkers" no need for more laws on the books!!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This is absolutely disgusting. How can the inhabitants of this city allow this? Essentially locking people up is not going to prevent the cause of the crime (which they are giving as the reason for the curfew) the crime will simply carry on, and then what measures will be taken? Will the people really accept this curfew in the supposed 'land of the free'? I agree with havok. A drop is all it takes. And this isn't the first. I think I'm going to throw up now. Please excuse me.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I can just see it now:

"Gee Wally let's gp cap some fools."

"Sorry, Beav. There's a curfew on. Dont want to get any citations."

Government stupidity knows no bounds.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Video interview about the curfew

(thanks to imd12c4funn for the link to video)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It would be great, imo, if they introduced a curfew in our neighbourhood. That way we wouldn't be awakened at 3 a.m. by the same loud-mouthed, whining drunk female screaming into her phone for her boyfriend to come and collect her because she's 'lost her keys'

new topics

top topics

join