It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creating Evil Artificial Intelligence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Creating Evil Artificial Intelligence

dailygalaxy.com

This headline isn't hyperbole, or overextension, or us rearranging the idea to make it punchier: a group of cognitive science researchers are intentionally building an evil artificial intelligence. Which raises a lot of important questions: what is true evil? What are the ethics of creating evil? And how do so many people get jobs as scientists without ever seeing a scifi movie?

The work takes place at RAIR (the Rensselaer AI & Reasoning laboratory) where they're already on the fourth generation of "E", or as we will eventually come to know him, "The Dark One Who Burns All". Don
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
Profiling Evil www.scientificamerican.com

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Personally, I find the concept of 'evil' abstract, which cannot be defined within one definition.

It could be related to satanic or demonic powers to some, it could be your ex-wife to others.

Most people would relate evil to whatever threatens him/herself and human beings in general, but let's say some creature would attack and kill humans, it would be a blessing - not evil - to those creatures threatened by extinction due to human activities.

How do you define that?

dailygalaxy.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
True evil is what you see when you stare into the mirror.

edit : stare

[edit on 19-8-2009 by tristar]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
You can tell what is evil when you see it.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I dont think its a good idea to create anything "Evil"?!?

These guys care clearly EMO and miss their mommy's...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
There is no such definition for evil or for good. Like beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder.

What Hitler saw as a good, we all (I hope) saw as evil. Same goes for serial killers and stuff, Jack the Ripper taking out whores was "good work" in his eyes.

Then what happens when "God" comes into the mix? God telling Abraham to sacrifice Isaac and all of the other people that have done the same "in the name of God". They saw their actions as good, but were they? Doubtful.

Same goes for when Herodotus visited India. Tribes there would eat the flesh of the dead and when told what they did in Greece (bury the dead) they were horrified. When he recalled the story to the Greeks they were mortified to learn that an Indian tribe would eat the flesh of their dead.

But who is right in this instance? Greeks or Indians? Both think that they are correct but there is no way of knowing. It is up to that culture (the beholder) to say what is right, wrong, good, evil.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It would seem this is already a on going endeaour, with some of the evil programs crawling around the internet.
Just as the programmed evil minded human, crawls around with intent to do evil things.

This would be perfect with AI, no logic associated with whys or where fors. but these would only be programs, with humans being the programmers.
the only logic involved would getting past security to do dirty deeds.

With a truly thinking AI, logic would seem to override evil agenda as being illogical.

Unless if became logical to end humanity.

One of my thoughts has been if organic life will not in the end be supercided, by the machine, once given ability to think and given hands to indulge self, the motivational persuit, will be working with pure logic.
But a motivation would be needed, as would a end result it would seem, maybe quest to know.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
His government could save a lot of money if they bought him a Dictionary. I'm sure he would find a good definition of evil in there.

This shows amazing levels of insanity; with lots of money going to research a useless concept to seek it's Definition.

Are we humans really so blind?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliocentric

Good find Heliocentric. Star and flagged. This is a good one to follow. There is a reason people are dumping money into this. They are looking for specific human traits that can be replicated I believe. It will all tie in to the bigger picture soon enough.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by george_gaz

Evil is easy to define, perhaps when not in dealing with customs.

Doing deliberate harm to others, or to purposefully take away from someone else that which, would by a general consciences be good for all.

Before Creator Good or Evil would be a trival perspecive, as evil came out of duality.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Heliocentric

DARPA seeking Genesis-style godware capability - US to build fastest computer on planet for managing nuclear arsenal - Symposium will teach AIs how to wage nuclear war

www.abovetopsecret.com...

These are all headlines I captured in a thread that I started a while back. Now take those headlines and think about the subject of your thread. I see something that will not end well.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex

Doing deliberate harm to others, or to purposefully take away from someone else that which, would by a general consciences be good for all.

So they steal my potatoes, I steal them back. Evil?
They punch me, so I do deliberately harm them back. Evil?

Things are never that black and white.

new topics

top topics

join