It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stone Tools, Rare Animal Bones: Clues To Caribbean's Earliest Inhabitants Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Hey, I dont know if this story belongs here or in Science forums..

This here is Interesting : the tools are estimated to be 4,000 to 6,500 years old. The bones might range in age from 4,000 and 10,000 years old.

ScienceDaily link
ScienceDaily (Aug. 19, 2009) — A prehistoric water-filled cave in the Dominican Republic has become a "treasure trove" with the announcement by Indiana University archaeologists of the discovery of stone tools, a small primate skull in remarkable condition, and the claws, jawbone and other bones of several species of sloths.

The discoveries extend by thousands of years the scope of investigations led Charles Beeker, director of Academic Diving and Underwater Science Programs at IU Bloomington's School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation, and his interdisciplinary team of collaborators. The researchers' focus has been on the era a mere 500 years ago when the Old World and New World first met after Christopher Columbus stepped ashore in the Caribbean -- and on scintillating pirate lore. This rare find is expected to give insights into the earliest inhabitants of the Greater Antilles and the animals they encountered.

"To be honest, I couldn't believe my eyes as I viewed each of these astonishing discoveries underwater," Beeker said. "The virtually intact extinct faunal skeletons really amazed me, but what may prove to be a fire pit from the first human occupation of the island just seems too good to be true. But now that the lithics (stone tools) are authenticated, I can't wait to direct another underwater expedition into what may prove to become one of the most important prehistoric sites in all the Caribbean."

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Awesome find!

I like hearing about discoveries in underwater caves. Especially the ones that have really old bones, or collections of fossils.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Awesome find!

I like hearing about discoveries in underwater caves. Especially the ones that have really old bones, or collections of fossils.

Yea, the find plenty new things now, rat eating plants, 350 new species in Asia among other things..

I find it confusing how the 'time frame' goes back and forth on the Early humans....

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Archeology is one of my favorite subjects! What a treat to find the intact and virtually preserved skeletons, and the fire hearth too. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

CB, thankyou for posting. This is really quite a extraordinary find.

I find it confusing how the 'time frame' goes back and forth on the Early humans....

Can you expand on what you mean? Do you mean how there is large gaps in years like lithics used between 4000-6500 years ago?

Im not sure of your question.

Cheers Z

new topics

top topics

join