It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voice based "lie detector" patented

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
www.speechtechmag.com...

By Leonard Klie - Posted Aug 14, 2009 Print Version ShareThis Page 1of 1

National Institute for Truth Verification (NITV) founder Charles Humble has been awarded a second patent for his CVSA II (Computer Voice Stress Analyzer). The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office granted Humble U.S. Patent # 7,571,101 for “Quantifying Psychological Stress Levels Using Voice Patterns” Aug. 4.

His first patent, U.S. Patent # 7,321,855, “Method for Quantifying Psychological Stress Levels Using Voice Patterns Samples,” which covered the Final Analysis Confirmation Tool (FACT) scoring algorithm, was awarded in 2008.

Both patents essentially cover the establishment of the numerical values associated with stress levels that identify when someone is being deceptive, Humble explains. The CVSA II charts the changes in the frequency and modulation of the voice when an individual is lying, he adds.

The CVSA II, which is already used by more than 1,800 federal and local law enforcement agencies and the U.S. military, accurately scores voice patterns for stress levels and then evaluates the entire examination to render a ‘No Deception Indicated’ or ‘Deception Indicated’ result, eliminating possible bias during the examination process. The solution, which allows for real-time or post-interview analysis, reportedly has an accuracy rating of more than 96 percent.

The embedded software, which runs on a laptop computer, can evaluate a live conversation, phone conversation, or recorded audio. And, with the new algorithm, “recorded audio is just as good as live audio,” Humble says.

“From the Atlanta P.D. to the Nashville P.D. to the California Highway Patrol, this is an investigative tool that has proved itself to be invaluable in the field,” says Alan Hall, operations administrator at the NITV and a former military intelligence officer.

The NITV claims that the CVSA II is responsible for tens-of-thousands of criminals being brought to justice, including a number of high-profile cases in the last few months. In one case, a Louisiana man accused of raping his son was about to be released by judicial order for lack of physical evidence, but when he was confronted with CVSA II’s analysis of his interrogation, he gave a full confession. In another, a Utah man confessed to a brutal murder, and even led police to the murder weapon, after being confronted with the results of CVSA II’s analysis of his questioning by police.

“CVSA is much less complicated than a polygraph,” Humble says. “A polygraph uses a lot of squiggly lines that you do not necessarily know what they mean. This uses simple graphs that chart their stress levels.”

Though used today primarily by law enforcement, Humble sees CVSA technology gaining acceptance anywhere it is important to know if someone is not being 100 percent truthful. It could, for example, really help therapists and guidance counselors get at the root of an individual’s problems during sessions on the couch, he says.

I just attempted to post the following comment on the above article, but given that it appeared in a publication that's essentially a cheerleader for the speech technology industry, it's anybody's guess whether their moderators will approve my comment. Here's what I wrote:

This is a terrible development. Any polygraph examiner will tell you "lie detectors" do not, in fact, detect lies, and are merely an interrogation tool. The only difference between a polygraph test and this new voice-stress analyzer is that the new technology is much more likely to be misused by police, employers, and private citizens in ways that violate the rights of innocent people.

If you can't see the potential for this technology to be misused, you're not paying attention. Think about it: For $15 you can download software to any smart phone which will enable you to record every single phone call you make or receive, without the tell-tale beep that's mandated by law, so the other party will have no idea they're being recorded. For about $25 you can buy a device at Radio Shack which will plug into your land-line and allow you to do the same thing.

Once this software becomes freely available, it will become entirely possible that any conversation you have with a spouse, employer, insurance company, IRS agent, police officer, or stalker is going to be analyzed by an algorithm, which will make arbitrary, and quite likely incorrect, judgments as to whether you were telling the truth.

And rest assured, this software will become freely available. You might think it's only for the police and the government and other entities you can trust* but I personally have gone to bit-torrent trackers such as Demonoid and been able to download, free of charge, all manner of high-end police computer forensics tools, free of charge, and hacked or cracked so no serial number is required.

*Kidding about the trust thing.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by flightsuit]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I never trusted any lie detectors. Because everyone gets nervous and everyone has different body movements. Me for example I have anxiety problems and if I'm going to a job interview for instance I may say the wrong things or stutter certain words. I'd probably fail a lie detector test even if I was innocent.

posted on Jul, 27 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I think however nervous you are lie detector responds to what actually is the truth regardless of your nervousness. Such lie detectors or voice recognition systems should be patented and protected from being copied or used. As such technologies are unique and very useful specially when questioning a criminal.

edit on 27-7-2013 by montyross because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I think however nervous you are lie detector responds to what actually is the truth regardless of your nervousness. Such lie detectors or voice recognition systems should be patented and protected from being copied or used. As such technologies are unique and very useful specially when questioning a criminal.

Of late you will find the patent attorneys turning out to be in a great demand. To read more about it visit us.
edit on 29-7-2013 by montyross because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Because an invention is patented means neither that it works or will be bought.

new topics

top topics

join