It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wave of Baghdad blasts kills at least 60

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Wave of Baghdad blasts kills at least 60

news.yahoo.com

BAGHDAD – A series of explosions targeting government and commercial buildings struck Baghdad Wednesday, killing at least 60 people and wounding more than 300, Iraqi police and medical officials said.

The blasts in the capital followed a string of attacks in Iraq this month that have claimed hundreds of lives and raised concerns about the ability of Iraqi security forces to keep the lid on violence in advance of an American withdrawal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blog.taragana.com[ /url]
[url=http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9A5T5901&show_article=1]www.breitbart.com

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
The horror of suicide bombers unleashed again, with this rate, there cant be many suicide bombers left in this region..
Do these 'terrorists' care about inocent civilians at all?

The officials said the deadliest blast was a car bomb near the foreign ministry, which killed at least 48 and wounded more than 240. They said the toll may climb as rescue workers continue to search through rubble and debris. The ministry is close to the fortified Green Zone. The officials all spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to release the information.

The force of the explosion blew concrete slabs off the front of the 10-story building and crushed cars parked outside, AP Television News footage showed. Dozens of cars were burned.

The blast was so strong it also damaged nearby buildings. A large area outside the ministry was covered by debris and broken glass and it damage windows in the parliament building, inside the Green Zone.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

It's really sad to see what's happening in Iraq now, especially after the heroic efforts of NATO troops to bring security over the last 6 years.

It seems like the country's falling apart now, which was sort of predictable once troop levels dropped.

I still have hopes that they'll pull through this terribly difficult time. But the pessimistic part of me sees an Iran-style "Islamic revolution" in the next 24 months, and where will that leave Middle East stability?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

Why are they killing each other ? it makes no sense too me.
Muslims killing muslims just beacause they are more than one kind of muslims living there?

And why are they killing the Police recruits? Dont they want police down ther? maybe 'some one' dont want the police force to Grow ??

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I think it's complicated - most Iraqis want security and peace and to get on with their lives. Most Iraqis don't distinguish between Sh'ia and Sunni and don't hold prejudices either way.

But there is a small, extremist and violent minority who harbour hatred and want to see instability. There are people who see the Iraqi government as a Western stooge and want to see it crumble.

Don't rule out outside influence as well. The mullahs of Iran have a lot to gain from instability in Iraq (which is why they were supplying insurgents with bomb equipment to fight the British).

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Often they are not willing suicide bombers - my partner worked out there and tells me of a time a young woman (13) was clearly pushed into the road and there was a secondary device to remotely ignite the vest.

He also talks of many of the suicide bombers being imported from Chechnya and Somalia who willing enter this "theatre".

Many of them will rig up cars - with "suicide bombing" women driving and children taken off the streets to innocently "go for a ride" - as they know it's hard for the men to reconcile engaging women and children if the convoy is encroached upon (within a 100m limit).

It's barbaric and many of the bombers are not local.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mattpryor

Actually - in Iraq the loyalty hierarchy runs like this....

1 . Tribe - sunni or shia?
2. Country
3. Religion

Sunni or Shia is very important.

What was a relatively enlightened arab state has now stepped back about 300 yrs in terms of tribal tolerance.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   
To me this is classic false flag

Just yesterday the military wanted to re-enter the cities

Lo and behold, a string of terrorist bombings occured

Some of the bombings left ten foot holes in the ground.

I asked this question to some and they blamed Iran and Syria of course, but to me, an Iraqi without water or electricity would have a hard time building a cavemade bomb that could blow a ten foot hole in the ground.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Yeah, well that's how liberation works. We invade, we liberate, and you get killed.

Too bad they didn't have much choice after the sanctions starved and diseased them into submission.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
It's only going to get worse when the military leaves. They are never going to stop the killings over there.....it's just what they do. They have never really known peace or prosperity. All they know is war and strife. What is really sad is that once we committed ourselves over there, I believe we are there for good in one way or another. If we leave, the vacuum will immediately be filled by the remaining terrorists. This is going to go down as one of the most monumental wastes of money in US history.....guaranteed.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I think they just said on the News here that more bombs went off killing more people...

I may be wrong, I didnt hear the full story...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer
It's only going to get worse when the military leaves. They are never going to stop the killings over there.....it's just what they do. They have never really known peace or prosperity. All they know is war and strife. What is really sad is that once we committed ourselves over there, I believe we are there for good in one way or another. If we leave, the vacuum will immediately be filled by the remaining terrorists. This is going to go down as one of the most monumental wastes of money in US history.....guaranteed.

first of all there were no terrorists in iraq until we got there, then we opened the place right up for them.. thats fact, saddam ran a tight ship.. when we took him out, all the salafis flooded in.. iraq was a secondary theatre at best..

secondly, you cant have an insurgency without public support, it is a pillar of guerrilla warfare, no public support, no insurgency..

the places attacked were the green zone, and the ministries of finance and foriegn affairs... in the mind of an insurgent, if you are part of the government, if you worked at these buildings, if you in somehow at all enforce or carry out the duties of the iraqi government set up by the west, you are NOT an innocent civilian.. it is nieve and unrealistic to think if you were an insurgent you would be able to target military personal only and expect to win..

shia and sunni are not tribes, they are the two main brands of islam.. sunni being the main one and shia the minority (except in iraq where it is the opposite) shia make up the majority in iran as well but are minorities in every other country of the world. Dulaim and Shammar are the major tribes in Iraq, there are 150 tribes in iraq...

if you knew what was going on youd know that iraq has never been more calm since we invaded in 2003.. iraqi and american deaths are at all-time lows..

the idea that suicide bombers are unwilling is untruthful and misinformation. maybe some of them are as there have been instances (wheelchair woman..) but for the salafi and wahhabists of the world, it is an honor to be martyred..

NATO is not in Iraq, not know, never was..

the current death toll stands at 75 dead, 312 wounded and is still expected to rise...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Whatever you want to call it, and whatever makes you feel good. It is still a huge waste of money. I support the troops that are there (because they have to be), I am former military myself, but I do not agree with the war. That whole region of the world is what I should have said when I referred to war being all that they know. Just my opinion, I am entitled to it just like you are.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

Sadly I think you're right.

I'm still not sure what we should have done about Saddam though. No point in making UN resolutions if the world isn't prepared to back them up with action, just makes us a laughing stock.

As you rightly pointed out, sanctions don't work on dictatorships as they'll happily let their people starve while they live in opulence.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Whatever you want to call it, and whatever makes you feel good. It is still a huge waste of money. I support the troops that are there (because they have to be), I am former military myself, but I do not agree with the war. That whole region of the world is what I should have said when I referred to war being all that they know. Just my opinion, I am entitled to it just like you are.

im former military too, im just denying ignorance.. wasnt a whole lot of fact on this thread. im not bashing you, im just saying..

[edit on 19-8-2009 by TheCoffinman]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

What branch were you in?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

What branch were you in?

army, 10th mountain, mortarman "high angle hell"

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman

What branch were you in?

2/6 ADA, Ft. Bliss. i tested new weapons systems for Air defense as well as tankbusters.....spent all my time in the deserts at White Sands, Ore Grande, Holloman AFB, and Ft. Huachuca.

Glad to meet you!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCoffinman

What branch were you in?

2/6 ADA, Ft. Bliss. i tested new weapons systems for Air defense as well as tankbusters.....spent all my time in the deserts at White Sands, Ore Grande, Holloman AFB, and Ft. Huachuca.

Glad to meet you!

2/22 Inf Ft. Drum 60mm Mortarman spent all my time at Ft. Drum and Ft. Polk likewise

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
New Toll: 95 dead, 563 wounded. The six explosions marked the country's deadliest day since the United States pulled its combat troops from Iraqi cities and towns nearly two months ago.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join