It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Sees Encouraging Mideast Peace Prospects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   

www.dailyherald.com

WASHINGTON -- President Barack Obama won lavish praise Tuesday from his guest, President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt, and spoke of an "extraordinary opportunity" for making peace in the Middle East.

Obama said he was encouraged by U.S. efforts to restart talks between Israel and the Palestinians.

Seated next to Mubarak, who was making his first visit to the U.S. capital in five years, Obama thanked the Egyptian for joining him in trying to construct a deal that has eluded world leaders for more than six decades.

Returning the compliment, Mubarak asserted that Obama's speech to the world
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
blogs.abcnews.com
www.unitedjerusalem.org

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Could this be a sign that Obama's bowing and scraping to the rest of the World might begin paying off? Obama is like the 8th President in a row to try and get some kind of peace agreement between the Israelis and the Palestinians. If he succeeds, it could ease some of the pressure he has been getting lately on the Health Care Plan and the Economy in general. I see Obama sticking up a little more for the Palestinians this time by "Demanding" that the Israelis cease construction of Jewish settlements in East Jerusalem and the West Bank, where the Palestinians want to found their Country. I hope Obama can pull this off, the Palestinians deserve to have a Country of their own. And Obama will have finally accomplished something.

www.dailyherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9a7af110bd05.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
If Obama understands that some regions of the world value stuff such as Honor over Peace, if he understands that they have different values than the west, he might actually make some progress. The reason progress is so slow is because the U.S./Europe dont have a clue what the values of these people are and that peace is not the highest goal on their list.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oatmeal

If he 'sees' mideast peace prospects then I wanna' know what he's smoking to cause such hallucinations. There is no way that there will ever be lasting peace in that part of the world. There hasn't been through all recorded history and it's not going to start now. It's not in the nature of the beast. That's just reality.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

If he 'sees' mideast peace prospects then I wanna' know what he's smoking to cause such hallucinations. There is no way that there will ever be lasting peace in that part of the world. There hasn't been through all recorded history and it's not going to start now. It's not in the nature of the beast. That's just reality.

Well, Israel and Egypt have had Peace for 30 years...after 30 years of war.

Israel and Egypt have ended 30 years of war with an historic peace treaty brokered by the United States. The ceremony on the White House lawn in Washington was broadcast live on television. The two leaders sealed the deal with a firm handshake, watched by a smiling President Jimmy Carter. Both President Anwar al-Sadat of Egypt, and the Israeli Prime Minister, Menachem Begin, described the ceremony as an "historic turning point".

Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bad9637021aa.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Oatmeal]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

That's very true. It's young peace. I hope it lasts.
Israel and Egypt WANTED peace together. I don't see anyone else wanting it.
Peace would get in the way of power and 'aid' money flowing in the region.
The powers over there would be put out of business by peace.

new topics

top topics

join