It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay adoption ban "positive discrimination"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I personally wouldn't be comfortable with Gay's ever being able to adopt. Less concerned with de-facto couples if they've spent a couple of years together first.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Reported today in New Zealand

19 August 2009

A Catholic organisation says stopping gay and lesbian couples from adopting children is a form of positive discrimination.

Acting Principal Family Court Judge Paul von Dadelszen wants the 1955 Adoption Act changed to allow de-facto and same-sex adoptions. Currently heterosexual married couples and single people can adopt, but gay and de-facto couples can not.

Family Life International spokesman Brendan Malone says the law sometimes has to engage in discrimination to protect those who cannot protect themselves.

"What is in the best interests of the children concerned here? And that's where the law must always fall. It must always fail safe with the best interests of the children in mind, rather than trying to turn this into the wants of the parents."

Mr Malone says while solo parents do an heroic job under difficult circumstances, it is not the ideal.

"For a long time we thought that it didn't matter who raised kids, as long as they loved them. But we are understanding now more and more from the social sciences, children need the input of both male and female - and the loving input of both male and female."

However Judge von Dadelszen says international research shows there is nothing to show adoption by a gay couple is in anyway detrimental to a child. He disagrees with critics who insist a child needs a mother and a father.

"There will always be, in the family somewhere, a female who will be a good role model - and in reverse, in a two female family, there will be a male in the family somewhere who will be a good role model for the child."

Judge von Dadelszen says the important thing is the stability of the couple and their ability to care for a child.

FAMILY FIRST FEEDBACK

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I hope you are not trolling.

The word gay has meaning only in terms of whether or not a person is attracted sexually to another of the same sex.
It says nothing about parenting skills, nurturing skills, common sense or intelligence.
Its an irrelevant matter to parenting.

It is a good thing for kids to experience caring individuals in their life from both sexes; but it is not mandatory for successful child rearing.

We as humans rarely have perfection in our families; yet we survive, and very well at times in spite of it.
Making an issue of sexuality is just nonsense.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Yeah. I mean, that is discrimination. It means that two perfectly responsible people are not being permitted to adopt children.

But, you know, adoption is completely unnecessary... what with all the pro-life people popping out tons of kids they can't afford. Why would we need people to adopt kids?[/sarcasm]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:19 AM
link   
edited

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Thebudweiserstuntman]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It absolutely is discrimination.

Unless they make a law that NO single person can adopt, then they can't use the excuse of "a child needs both a male and a female influence". Lord knows, lots of kids don't have a good male or female role model, even if their parents are both there.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
If Catholic adoption organizations want to have a policy of not adopting children into gay homes ... that's their right. They shouldn't have a say as to what other adoption organizations do.

As a Catholic and an adoptive parent my opinion is that it is much better for the child to be in a stable and safe gay-parent home then to be left in an orphanage. Kinda common sense .. ya' know?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Wow I think it's ridiculous that you don't see two Gay people being able to raise children succesfully.

I've done it, and have recently adopted a 4th child that we intend to care and love for. This is riddiculous, and shame on organized religion for pushing their biased agenda.

Children only need a loving home and 2 loving parents to be successfull, the parts involved are irrelevant.

I surely hope the New Zealander's wake up. And the world for that matter.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I think churches and more importantly organized religion all together should stay the hell out of political issues unless they want to lose their tax free status.

More proof religion is nothing but 100% pure garbage.

Perhaps its time to start some positive discrimination against all forms of religion.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I find it ironic for an organization plagued with pedophilia scandals like the Catholic church; telling others how to nurture and raise children.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAftermath

Perhaps its time to start some positive discrimination against all forms of religion.

Here, here. I second that opinion, and not just because of this issue.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey

I think its discrimination of Gay couples; yet it is justice for the child.
Every child deserves to experience having a mother and father.

Generally, I think certain gay couples are just as capable of raising children as most hetro couples. Yet, biologically and to degree socially it would be most difficult for the child ( unfortunately all of huamn existence is not over Homophobia yet).

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Typical of the Catholic Clergy/Religion, when homosexuality is strife within thier own religion.

Look at the amount of abuse cases, under investigation. That in itself says it all.

It is pure discrimination to say the least.

Mind you one is not surprised, this comes from a christian religion so bogged down in scandal itself.!!!

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

True, true.
Thats one thing that the church seems to be great at: the 'Do as I say, not as I do mentality'.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Reminds me of the Chinese law against people with facial disfigurements adopting.

If you had a sufficiently large number of families to choose from, you could afford to discriminate based on stupid things.

A child being raised in a stable two-parent home has an advantage for lots of kids in our society. Of course a single parent who chooses to adopt could still be far better than a young mother who knows she isn't ready, or one who messes up so bad the baby is taken from her involuntarily.

Since this is ATS, always look for the hidden agenda. Things aren't always what they seem, or even usually. Maybe the reasons given aren't their real motivations for not wanting gays to adopt.

new topics

top topics

join