It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Ancient farmers started global warming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Study: Ancient farmers started global warming

www.cnn.com

The study, published in the scientific journal Quaternary Science Reviews and reported on the University of Virginia's Web site, says over thousands of years, farmers burned down so many forests on such a large scale that huge amounts of carbon dioxide were pumped into the atmosphere. That possibly caused the Earth to warm up and forever changed the climate.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Wow, whats next? Cows did it because of the methane levels in their poo? Oh wait. That's happened already. When will this end? People don't think that big ball of fire in the sky has had something to do with it?

*sigh* I could go on and on about this, but it's been discussed here before. I'm just wondering what that msm will say next to sell their idea.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit to add video.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Wookiep]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Anything to make it our fault alone. Nevermind the fact that Earth is still coming out of an ice age. Geological time is slooooooooooooooooow, these cycles happen. I mean, when the dinosaurs were around, Earth was a tropical planet, only recently has it cooled down. Silly.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
Anything to make it our fault alone. Nevermind the fact that Earth is still coming out of an ice age. Geological time is slooooooooooooooooow, these cycles happen. I mean, when the dinosaurs were around, Earth was a tropical planet, only recently has it cooled down. Silly.

Right. Even if it WAS our fault, then ok...lets have some explanations as to why these last few years have been cooler? IDK but in my state (Colorado) it's been a very cool and wet summer. Oh I forgot, global warming causes that too.
The fact that the sun has been in it's weakest state (as far as solar flares go) has nothing to do with it..

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Humans will come up with any study that makes them the center of the universe, and then at the same time shift blame away from themselves onto some other human. See: Psychological events like murder, child molestation. It's not because they are a "bad person"...it's because their parents were bad people...etc

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot

I thought we were headed into an ice age? I know it maybe a thousand years...but I was quite sure that we were only something like 2 or 3 degrees Celsius from the last ice age....and there is something around ice land that if melted would cause an arctic flow and would cause this ice age. All natural of course.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I read somewhere that the Sahara was overgrazed by people with sheep/goats. It was also a tropical clime. At least you get to see it first hand in your generation when you look at Alcoa destroying the rain forest in Brazil.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

Damn the ancient farmers and their SUV's and big old coal burning electric plants . . .

Oh wait . . .

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I just now noticed, that the article is now labled "Study: Global warming sparked by ancient farming methods". Tho the link on the main page still quotes the original title.
Ok, so the ancient farmers just *sparked* global warming, they didn't start it!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep

Right. Even if it WAS our fault, then ok...lets have some explanations as to why these last few years have been cooler? IDK but in my state (Colorado) it's been a very cool and wet summer. Oh I forgot, global warming causes that too.
The fact that the sun has been in it's weakest state (as far as solar flares go) has nothing to do with it..

Exactly. Solar minimum and yet many places - from N America to Tibet to Australia have been experiencing record high temperatures in recent weeks. Why?

This latest study fits in with the Ruddiman Hypothesis

Although the hypothesis has been questioned - see also this presentation on the subject. Personally I'm rather sceptical.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by Wookiep

Exactly. Solar minimum and yet many places - from N America to Tibet to Australia have been experiencing record high temperatures in recent weeks. Why?

This latest study fits in with the Ruddiman Hypothesis

Although the hypothesis has been questioned - see also this presentation on the subject. Personally I'm rather sceptical.

Thanks for the post! My only problem with the Co2 argument, is this: There is much more consistancy found with solar flares causing the "warming" of the earth than Co2. If we look at history, at least in terms of our ability to track Co2 and solar flares side by side, Co2 is NOT consistant with the warming temperatures, which is supposedly the *cause* of warming today! Clearly, natural sun cycles are the cause, as shown here:

www.friendsofscience.org...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
This is probably a brainwash attempt of CNN (MSM) to the population so they'll embrace Monsanto's future GMO products (soil-less/farmer-less crops).

Just a wild thought.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

This actually makes a lot of sense.

It's not "blaming it on us" It's following the scientific method to determine probably effects of man on this planet.

We are all in a state of flux, every new organism you add to an eco-system causes disruptions. Look at all the invasive species we find completely changing the new eco-system forever.

You can't go around blind acting like your actions don't have repercussions. The question is, perhaps the warming accomplished by our ancestors actually changed the climate for the better for all of us...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Don't worry Folks, its not the burning of fossil fuels in your cars, or the burning of oil and gas and coal in power plants around the world thats the cause for Global warming,nor is it the Sun, or geological or meteorlogical aspects , turns out it was the ancient farmers burning down all the forests all along, they did it ok? After all we don't do that kind of thing nowadays do we?.

SO plug in your PC, turn on your TV and your home lights , turn on your home heating and leave the car running all night in the garage as there's no danger from modern man , who outnumber now all the people that lived long ago and HAVEN'T helped Global warming along.

ITs always someones else's fault, but anyhoo, we don't do anything to counteract it do we? we don't replant the forests we cut down to make way for homes, or shopping malls or roads, or simply cut them down because they are in OUR way.

But rest assured my fellow citizens, when the Earth can no longer supply enough oxygen for our childrens, childrens children and we asa race all die off, good ol' Mother Earth will replenish the forests with something else and the cycle of life will begin again. or at least life will go on without us,it may take a few millions years, but She'll be ok.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
There is no Global warming C02 is a natural element of life and Earth this is all made up propaganda by those seeking more control and profits over the majority of human beings.
There time will come.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

That is a study i pity....

Are the ones that made it really scientists???
If so they shouldn't be.
if this is the science around us we are doomed.-

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The earth has always had natural cold and hot periods. The Cretaceous period was hot and since then there has also been an ice age. The sea levels have also risen and fallen because there are fossils of large sea dwelling creatures on dry land areas of today.

Human do contribute to changes in our environment but it's not as if it would be stable if humans or farmers did not exist. There is also extraterestrial objects such as metors that can cause larger and faster changes then cows farting ever could. I'm more concerned about them then global warming at the moment, plus I bought some beach front property in Sibera recently and would like to go surfing there some time soon. Bring it on

[edit on 19-8-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Post removed

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK
reply to post by Wookiep

That is a study i pity....

Are the ones that made it really scientists???
If so they shouldn't be.
if this is the science around us we are doomed.-

The Catholic Church said the same thing about Galileo.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Sort of like what they're doing to rain forests right now?

I don't understand why it's so hard for so many people to understand. CO2 makes the planet warmer because it traps heat inside the atmosphere. When you burn fossil fuels you release CO2. Deforestation disrupts the cycle by eliminating huge concentrations of plants that would 'breathe in' CO2 and release oxygen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join