It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-Mail from my Senator--------OMG

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Dear Ms.__________

Thank you for contacting me regarding health care reform. I
appreciate hearing from you. I have long supported the goal of ensuring
access to quality, affordable health care for all Americans.

Health care reform is a top priority for the President and Congress.
Nearly forty-seven million Americans live without health insurance, and
many more live with intermittent or insufficient coverage. Rising health
insurance premiums and unemployment have contributed to the continuous rise
of these numbers. Congress has considered a number of approaches to this
issue, including financial and other market-based incentives, expanding
existing coverage options, and single-payer or national health insurance
coverage.

Both the House and Senate passed the fiscal year 2010 budget
resolution (S.CON.RES.13), which includes language “” allowing Congress to
consider health care reform later this year under expedited procedures.”“
This expedited process, known as budget reconciliation, directs both the
Senate Committee on Finance and the Senate Committee on Health, Education,
Labor and Pensions to develop health care legislation that falls within
certain budgetary guidelines no later than October 15, 2009.

The Obama administration is currently working with Congress on
comprehensive health care reform. In the meantime, several bills
concerning reform already have been introduced in the Senate and House of
Representatives. Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) introduced the Healthy Americans
Act (S.391) on February 5, 2009. This bill would terminate federal health
benefits coverage, including the Federal Employees Health Benefits Plan,
Medicaid, and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), and,
in its place, provide every adult with the opportunity to purchase a
Healthy Americans Private Insurance (HAPI) policy. Those not enrolled in
another health plan, and who do not oppose coverage for religious reasons,
would be faced with penalties (established in their home state) if they did
not enroll themselves and their children in a HAPI plan. HAPI plans would
have standardized coverage and state options, with guidelines for services
to be developed by the Secretary of Health and Human Services with advice
from a Healthy America Advisory Committee. Under this legislation,
employers and individuals would share responsibility for the payment of
HAPI plan premiums.

Representative John Dingell (D-MI) introduced the National Health
Insurance Act (H.R.15) on January 6, 2009. This bill would, among other
things, establish a National Health Insurance Board to oversee health
insurance regulation. H.R.15 would impose a value added tax (VAT) of 5% on
each sale of property, performance of service, and importation of property
in the United States in a commercial-type transaction. Exceptions would be
made for food, housing, medical care, exports, interest, governmental
entities, and certain tax-exempt organizations. The revenue raised by the
VAT would be deposited in a newly-created National Health Care Trust Fund
to pay for health care costs not covered by other means.

In addition, Representative John Conyers (D-MI) introduced H.R.676 on
January 26, 2009. This bill seeks to provide all individuals residing in
the United States and its territories with free health care. H.R.676 would
allow only public and nonprofit institutions to participate in the health
care program and would prohibit for profit insurers from selling coverage
that duplicates benefits provided through H.R.676. “”This program would be
funded, in part, by increasing income tax on the top 5% of earners,
establishing a tax on stock and bond transactions, and a progressive excise
tax on self-employment and payroll income.”“

According to public opinion polls, 90% of Americans believe
fundamental changes in the health care system are necessary. I share the
sentiment, and believe our nation has a moral obligation to ensure that all
Americans have access to quality, affordable health care. I am hopeful
both Democratic and Republican members of Congress will work together to
develop a plan to address needed health care reform this year. Thank you
again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Carl Levin

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I knew this protesting was for not. Those scums are so intent on passing healthcare that they are willing to ignore the American public.

What is so hard about telling insurance companies that they can no longer deny or cancel anyone because of pre-existing condition? Congress mandate things to Companies all the time.

What is so hard about restructuring the insurance companies so that they have to compete against each other with passion? Hell, let Wal-mart sell insurance and let's see how low they can go.

What is so hard about putting all the uninsured on medicaid, medicare, or Congresses plan and make them pay premiums based on what they earn? The more they earn, the more they pay.

Why do they have to reinvent the wheel and try to install a plan that will take years to fully implement, cause confusion, and cost taxpayers a lot more in the long run?

Tired of the Bull. Hell with this party or that party.

FIRE THEM ALL

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I knew this protesting was for not. Those scums are so intent on passing healthcare that they are willing to ignore the American public.

What is so hard about telling insurance companies that they can no longer deny or cancel anyone because of pre-existing condition? Congress mandate things to Companies all the time.

What is so hard about restructuring the insurance companies so that they have to compete against each other with passion? Hell, let Wal-mart sell insurance and let's see how low they can go.

What is so hard about putting all the uninsured on medicaid, medicare, or Congresses plan and make them pay premiums based on what they earn? The more they earn, the more they pay.

Why do they have to reinvent the wheel and try to install a plan that will take years to fully implement, cause confusion, and cost taxpayers a lot more in the long run?

FIRE THEM ALL

It just makes me SICK! I will not stop fighting, I will on the other hand, get tougher. This is the time that AMERICA Needs To Stand Up And FIGHT! We Do NOT work FOR our elected officials, They Work For US! And it is about time We Reminded them of this!

I AGREE FIRE THEM ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I think the health care concept is great. I, for one, have gone in and out of health insurance over the years. It sucks that it can be so hard to get when you have a wife and kids. Not all jobs pay enough for this kind of assistance, and a little regulation is a good idea if done properly. The problem I see is that the government is not too great at doing a good job of regulating; e.g., mortgages, education, justice. As citizens, we need oversight of government operations by way of committee.

Luckily, I have health insurance now --- my wife got breast cancer. However, I should mention that last year we paid $442 per month. This year HealthNet is charging us $590 per month. That's a helluva increase in one year. I sent a letter to the department of insurance in our state. Let's see if they have any regulation over this problem. If not, we need civilian committees to inspect the inspectors.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Jim Scott]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Those not enrolled in another health plan, and who do not oppose coverage for religious reasons, would be faced with penalties (established in their home state) if they did not enroll themselves and their children in a HAPI plan.

Ok what is this? Is that for real? Are they high? Religious reasons set you free? Opposing it for non-religious reasons is penalized? And with what?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

That seems to be a popular feature. I read an article in the Online WSJ that was linked to on another thread here and it claims that a fine is part of the Kennedy Affordable Health Choices Act for people who don't enroll in a qualified health plan. Here is the relevant paragraph - emphasis mine.

Members of Congress "enjoy the widest selection of health plans in the country," according to the U.S. Office of Personnel Management. They "can choose from among consumer-driven and high deductible plans that offer catastrophic risk protection with higher deductibles, health saving/reimbursable accounts and lower premiums, or fee-for-service (FFS) plans, and their preferred provider organizations (PPO), or health maintenance organizations (HMO)." These choices would be nice for all of us, but they're not in the offing. Instead, if you don't enroll in a "qualified" health plan and submit proof of enrollment to the federal government, you'll be tracked down and fined (sections 3101 and 6055).

Frankly, my family is struggling as it is with the rising costs of living, even after cutting out most luxuries and extras, and we are in the middle ground of no longer being able to afford coverage for our whole family, but just over being able to qualify for any health assistance. We have coverage for our daughter and that is it. Adding more to our financial burden moves us from "struggling, but only just barely not drowning" to "going under with no hope of rescue".

More than any other bits of the bills that I have read so far (and I am still wading my way through HR3200 as time permits) this is the feature that scares me the most. Pony up and pay for a plan that I can't afford or face being fined, which I also can't afford. There are no words to express eloquently enough how vehemently opposed I am to this possibility.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Glencairn

Well when in doubt just say you are a zionist jew.
Get a gold star and a pat on the back.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Glencairn

Tracked down and fined... what happens if I have zero income?? This is what creeps me the most. My husband and I are living off of $313 a week! Health insurance does no good if we don't have a roof over our head, or food on the table... and neither of us have health insurance right now. We can't afford it, and we can't afford any ridiculous fine. I'm angry at even the thought of this happening.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

You call a bunch of loud mouthed hooligans "the American Public"? I don't think so.

The town hall protesters made this worse for themselves by acting like people who are afraid of a rational discussion.

What is so hard about telling insurance companies that they can no longer deny or cancel anyone because of pre-existing condition?

I"m there too... but I'd go further to say that Insurance Companies should be non-profit.

Congress mandate things to Companies all the time.

See here is the issue. Had the Protesters came with these options instead of evoking Nazi Germany, they could have had a lot more traction, and we could have had an actual debate which came to a consensus. But none of the protesters were interested in acknowledging the inherent problems in our system. They were more interested in being angry, which won't get you anywhere.

That sounds like taxation to me. How is this different from a Public option? I really don't want to may more of my profits just to add to the 428% profit increase the insurance companies have made.

They are bilking the public for their own profits. Doctors are losing, patients are losing, but guess who wins? Insurance companies. I say cap the profits insurance companies can make or make them non-profit.

FIRE THEM ALL

Jam, I have to say that although we have different political leanings, you always bring a fresh perspective to the discussion.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Discussion? Bwahahah.. Like the Radical Leftists are interested in that.

What you're seeing at the Townhall is the people giving the corrupt politicians their last warning.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
You call a bunch of loud mouthed hooligans "the American Public"?

I would say that looking at Obama's as well as the Congressional poll numbers lately that yes, indeed this is the American public talking.
The left is scared and trying to paint everyone who disagrees with this administration out to be radicals when it just isn't true.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anjin

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
You call a bunch of loud mouthed hooligans "the American Public"?

I would say that looking at Obama's as well as the Congressional poll numbers lately that yes, indeed this is the American public talking.
The left is scared and trying to paint everyone who disagrees with this administration out to be radicals when it just isn't true.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. There are alot of good reasons to be mad about the gov't running anything in the US.

Its not radical, its the truth.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Have not doubt my friends, health care reform will be passed no matter what the public wants or not.

Interesting to see how they used the millions of people without health care, because that is a lie, we have government run heath care is call Medicare and Medicaid.

Perhaps what they are talking about is the millions of illegal immigrant that doesn't qualify for Medicare and Medicaid.

Deceiving.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Why do these people keep getting elected? Really? Is Barney Frank the best MA can come up with, or do the people of MA really agree with him? How about Pelosi, surely the good residents of CA can do better than that. Surely to God there is someone better than that lunatic.

Do these nuts reallly speak for their constituents?

What happened to all the anti war protestors? Why do we no longer see people screaming the war is breaking us and to bring our soldiers home? We are ramping up on Afghanistan but do you even hear about it?

I have photographed a local soldier's dedication ceremony who lost his life over there defended us. I have done going away photos of pilots going to Korea. Where is the anti war crowd now? Gone because they have a new thing to scream for?

Where are we going to get the money for this plan? Is no one else afraid of what this will mean for EVERYONE??? Anyone remember Tenncare, which is one of the models for this government insurance?? It about bankrupted TN and was absolutely rife with abuses and fraud.

Do you really believe that the government can run this sort of program with any efficiency? Who here has been on Tricare? Had to use only VA hospitals? I haven't heard that great of things about it myself. Personally was always glad I had private insurance and felt bad for their crappy insurance.

We don't have town hall meetings here as our representatives are against the health care bill. Thank God and Thankfully I live in a state that isn't full of these crazies

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!

That sure sounds like a form letter, albeit a rather long one to basically say :

Thank you for inquiring...

It's great you got a reply, but that was political diatribe, nothing more.

I have written enough form letters to know how to spot one.

When you reply to hundreds and even thousands of people, this becomes a tact used often.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

That seems to be the general consensus amongst everyone.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Your Senator is right:

For example, the unbiased, reliable, and non-partisan Employee Benefit Research Institute (EBRI), of which AHIP is a member, registered support for a public option at 83%.

A few loud mouths do not a majority make... Just because these "squeaky wheels" got themselves on TV doesn't mean they were successful in scaring the public away from this health insurance plan. Fortunately, the public sees right through

LOOK AT THE POLLS

Here’s the truth: the American people overwhelmingly support a public health care option as part of any health care reform that happens.
In poll after poll, the American public overwhelming favors the creation of a public health insurance option in health care reform.

See Source for specific wording of questions.

People who live in countries who have this option also prefer it.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Who's going to pay for all this? Seriously. States have tried this and have about lost everything. How's medicare and medicaid doing?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by llpoolej

Regardless of what the government is telling we the tax payer is going to pay for it.

The so call taxation of the rich is nothing but a way to make everybody else that is not rich feel better.

Remember who pays for Medicare and Medicaid? anybody that makes an income because is taken out of your check regardless if you used or not or if you quilify for it or not.

Still it pays for those that can not.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Even though WE are going to pay for it, where are they getting the money from? Seriously? How many TRILLIONS is our government in the red now? How many are paying less taxes these days because their incomes have gone down? How many of the evil rich are less rich and paying less because their incomes are less?

Where is this blood gonna come from because we all pretty much look like turnips these days.

My husband was in the car business for 17 years and NONE Of our dealers in this area have been paid for any of the clunkers yet. One dealer is out 500k owed to him by the government.

They are playing with money they do not have. That is my big beef with it. Not that I want people to not have insurance, but, because a government run/paid for program is not sustainable.

Why don't we reform the insurance companies vs making a government run one?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join