It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Drops Health-Care Tip Line "flag'at'whitehouse.gov"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
By Garance Franke-Ruta
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 19, 2009

After complaints from Republicans, the White House has shut down a two-week-old e-mail tip line where people could report "disinformation about health insurance reform."
This Story

"An ironic development is that the launch of an online program meant to provide facts about health insurance reform has itself become the target of fear-mongering and online rumors that are the tactics of choice for the defenders of the status quo," the White House's new media director, Macon Phillips, wrote in announcing the change.

"The White House takes online privacy very seriously," he added.

The e-mail tip line, flag@whitehouse.gov, was launched Aug. 4 as part of the White House's Health Insurance Reform Reality Check, a rapid-response effort reminiscent of the war room that the Obama campaign launched last summer to fight online rumors about Obama's patriotism and religion.

But the new effort quickly sparked concern among Republicans about the government's collecting information on private citizens' political speech.

"I am not aware of any precedent for a president asking American citizens to report their fellow citizens to the White House for pure political speech that is deemed 'fishy' or otherwise inimical to the White House's political interests," Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) wrote in an Aug. 5 letter to the White House that called for an end to the program.

"By requesting that citizens send 'fishy' emails to the White House, it is inevitable that the names, email addresses, IP addresses, and private speech of U.S. citizens will be reported to the White House. You should not be surprised that these actions taken by your White House staff raise the specter of a data collection program," wrote Cornyn, chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

You can read the Rest of the story HERE from The Washington Post

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
i almost feel sorry for big O, he just wanted to make sure no one was lieing to the american people but the reps couldn't have their email lie machine compromised so they went into overdrive...

then again it is a stupid idea, if you wanna here the talking points then study ATS, FoxNews Talk and other outlets for the crazies! Grassing on a friend who sent on a nonsence chainletter is one of those awful slippery slopes and really must be avoided.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Better that they backed off now. They have a lot of damage control to do...

Tar and feathers speak loud and clear!
All those town hall meetings and you tube videos paid off after all!

Never give up without a peaceful fight!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Other than the fact that it is illegal for the White House to lobby, sure, I see no harm in this.

Unless, of course, the intent was to get names. Then we have a problem.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
i almost feel sorry for big O, he just wanted to make sure no one was lieing to the american people

In what sense do you feel that he wasn't the one lying to the American people? I am in no way advocating any political party, for the reason that politicians make decisions solely for their own personal gain. The American people have been nothing but lied too, whether it be the past or current president.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

Better late than never. Perhaps they had no ill-intent, but common sense would seem to indicate that if the White House is asking for 'fishy' emails and statements between private citizens, it looks like a snitch site for people to rat out their neighbor for not supporting Obama. It was clear from day one that this idea was going to backfire bigtime on the administration, and indeed, it has. Again, maybe they had the best of intentions, but in the end, the administration has no one to blame but themselves for the damage they've done with this. This idea was an obvious stinker to anyone with any political sense.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Glad they dropped it. I sent them a rather nasty message over that and I requested an e-mail reply. I never got one.

It was concerning me a little.

new topics

top topics

join