It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Road tax, tracked by GPS in car, considered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Road tax, tracked by GPS in car, considered

www.abc.net.au

The Federal Government is being urged to consider taxing drivers based on how far they drive.

It is just one proposal contained in a new paper commissioned as part of Ken Henry's review of the tax system.

"[The aim is] generally to try to get to the point where we're charging people for the actual damage and costs of using roads - rather than fixed charges that are independent of the way they use roads," Professor Clarke said.

"The technology exists now; telemetric devices, or essentially boxes that are inserted in vehicles. These can provide information for commercial trucking f
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
This is an outrage! More big brother for ya. They want to install GPS system into every car and make commuters pay road tax based on how much they have driven. Australia sure does seem to be a testing ground for the rest of the world. No doubt this will also be used by the police down the track. *waves freedoms away* There could be many ways they could use this technology under the disguise of this tax. Like speeding for example.

www.abc.net.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18/8/09 by dallas18]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   
If they truely wanted just to tax based on mileage then all they would have to do is log the odometer readings when you go to get a tag. GPS tracking will only lead to abuses of the system.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
No officer, I wasn't on that road, if you check, my car's been in the garage most of the year.
(Hooked up to 12vt power supply.)

Seriously, getting worked up over this sort of thing is a waste of energy.

Logic alone should tell you the only way this could happen is to install the box at the factory. Retrograde installation won't happen, not in passenger cars.

Truthfully the only ones that would likely have to worry about it would be the independent truck drivers. The big companies would just pass the tax cost right on through to the customer.

But then I doubt this bill would get passed, largely from the aspect of the government needs the truckers to keep doing their jobs; and not having the trucks parked in some field. All the big fish need their products shipped, and this would cut into their pockets.

Sometimes greed is on our side.

M.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Mr. Clarke could have used his intellectual faculties for more civil productive and honest reasons. Something perhaps along the lines of...

"[The aim is] generally to try to get to the point where we're charging (watching) people (the government) for the actual damage and costs of using roads (our money) - rather than fixed charges (fixed documentation) that are independent of the way they use roads (our money)," Professor Clarke said.

That would make sufficiently clear the necessary amount of revenue the Federal Government needs and exactly for what purpose. I honestly don't enjoy traffic everyday to work and damage incurred from an abysmal transportation system. Which begs the question, why is there no efficient improvement? It most certainly is not due to an inadequate income! And that tends to lead to one explanation, albeit an inconvenient one.

"The technology exists now; telemetric devices, or essentially boxes that are inserted in vehicles.

Yes the technology exists, but for what need?

[edit on 18-8-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dallas18

Obama said he wasn't going to raise taxes on anyone making under 250K a year. So there are going to be "poor" miles and "rich" miles?

Will my GPS be tied into my checking account to verify that I am not rich?

-taxes, making me sick!!!-

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

But then I doubt this bill would get passed, largely from the aspect of the government needs the truckers to keep doing their jobs; and not having the trucks parked in some field.

Then how come my semi is parked in a field providing shade for my sheep? The independent truckers are being driven out of business.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I do not doubt this. Here in my state they started the electronic toll way pass. At the time (12 years ago) our governor got on the tube and promised that this device would never be used to track a drivers speed!!! Guess what? YUP! You guessed right. It is now being pondered for legislation by our state law makers. You get from one toll to the next too fast, you get a ticket in the mail!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The people who want to do this act is if they paid for and are the exclusive owners of the roadways. The taxpayer pays for the roadway to get built and to be maintained and now he has to pay for the right to use it. Beyond the legitimate privacy concerns, this looks like another screw job.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by beenhereb4

Interesting, what state/country do you live in? I know recently here in Brisbane they have abandoned paying cash on the gateway toll bridge, drivers must now have an eTag fitted in their car which gets registered automatically when you drive through the gate.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
We already pay a tax based upon mileage. It's the Federal Tax on Gasoline.

This is just another possible abuse of power and more whoring of the working man. You think UPS will pay a tax? Fed Ex? Obama Administration's motorcade? Police? Nascar? Hahahahaha Nope, all fees will be passed on down to us... How much more will it take to break a population? Tent Cities will lead to Tent States.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
If they truely wanted just to tax based on mileage then all they would have to do is log the odometer readings when you go to get a tag. GPS tracking will only lead to abuses of the system.

Exactly!

Logging odo reading and paying the tax when you renew your car registration would be much more cost efficient. This sounds like it will be quite expensive to maintain and will require alot of resources, and ofcourse its us the citizens who will pay.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I've always thought this, but in different terms.

In my state, any type of moving violation results in a monetary penalty, as well as "points" put on you driving record.
Accumalate 12 points in a rolling twelve month period, and your license is suspended.

I have always argued (and lost) the point that somebody who drives more should be allotted more points than someone who drives less.

By this, I mean, it stands to reason that a person who commutes long distances is on the road more, therefore, more likely to receive penalties.

This argument has gotten me out of exactly zero tickets, however.
Seems the coppers don't buy it.
Oh well.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I have a counter-proposal.

Politicians need to have a day job producing real goods and services, and work for free for the gubbermint in their spare time.

The entire gubbermint is too lazy to work, and so try to find ways to suck off you and me.

Just say no to gubbermint.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oaktree
I've always thought this, but in different terms.

In my state, any type of moving violation results in a monetary penalty, as well as "points" put on you driving record.
Accumalate 12 points in a rolling twelve month period, and your license is suspended.

I'm from WI and immediately checked to see what other state has a 12 point system. Funny!

As for talking your way out with the officer . . . forget it! You gotta go to the courthouse and plead your case there. Dress nice, but not too nice. Look attractive but not 'slutty'
. Speak well and if that means practicing your plea, the DO so.

Plead "No contest" and request for a reduction in the fine OR the points because it is your offense or last offense was over x years ago.

And yeah! We already pay a usage tax at the gas pump. If they need to tax us more bases upon miles, then just check our odometer records everytime we get a smog check. A GPS in every car will get passed as easily as the HR 3200 Bill.

P.S. It's not 'gubbermint'. The correct term is 'goober-meant'

[edit on 8/19/2009 by Nivcharah]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Nivcharah

We don't have a smog check in Oklahoma or even an inspection for that matter. All we have to do is annual taxes or better know as a tag.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Well I guess Im lucky my odometer doesnt work

This sounds absolutely insane! Why should anyone have to pay taxes for driving? I sure hope for the people of Australia this doesnt go through. If this happened in the US I would be screwed, I travel a lot for work and once a month I go to AL to see my bf, I would be paying a lot!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

well considering many roads are local, that would be up to the local and state governments.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I see that that OP's link is a link posted for Australia, I remembered seeing such a proposal for something similar in the United States.

Mileage Tax Road Tested

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dallas18

There could be many ways they could use this technology under the disguise of this tax. Like speeding for example.

[edit on 18/8/09 by dallas18]

Whats wrong with that? Speeders kill innocent people every day. I'm not a coddler and i want speeders caught and punished.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join