It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Ten Paradoxical Commandments of Leadership"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
ANYWAY

People are illogical,
Unreasonable, and
Self-centered.
Love them anyway.

If you do good,
People will accuse you
Of selfish ulterior motives.
Do good anyway.

If you are successful, you will win
False Friends and true enemies.
Succeed anyway.

The good you do today,
Will be forgotten tomorrow.
Do good anyway.

Honesty and frankness
Make you vulnerable.
Be honest and frank anyway.

The biggest men and women with
The biggest ideas can be shot down
By the smallest men and women
With the smallest minds.
Think big anyway.

People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs.
Fight for a few underdogs anyway.

What you spent years building
May be destroyed overnight.
Build Anyway.

People really need help but may
Attack you if you do help them.
Help people anyway.

Give the world the best you have
And you'll get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you have anyway.

Kent Keith, The Ten Paradoxical Commandments of Leadership

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
The above poem, "Anyway" was written by Kent Keith in 1968 when he was a sophomore at Harvard College. He was nineteen years old. The thoughts were a part of a booklet he wrote while still a high school student at Roosevelt High School in Honolulu. The booklet was entitled "The Silent Revolution".

The political environment in the sixities was very turbulant. Student activists were staging sit-ins, taking over buildings "liberating" buildings; people were throwing rocks at one another, and engaging in shouting down their opponents.

Keith learned that although these students wanted to make a change, they didn't really know how to work through the system to accomplish this. They tended to give up quickly when faced with difficulty, or failure.

"I saw a lot of idealistic young people go out into the world to do what they thought was right, and good, and true, only to come back a short time later, discouraged, or embittered, because they got negative feedback, or nobody appreciated them, or they failed to get the results they had hoped for."

His thoughts on leading:

"If you don't care, you're not going to help anyone. So unless you have a deep feeling for the welfare of the people you are supposed to lead, please, stop leading."

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......Truth from the mouths of Babes.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
We, too, on ATS have been in a very turbulant political environment recently, as has the rest of our nation.

My thoughts are agreeable with the "Silent Revolution".

The author, although still essentially a teenager at the time he wrote this poem, put forth astonishingly profound yet practical thoughts here.

Many of you have probably read "Anyway" at some point in the past, but I thought a review for some, might be inspiring.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

"If you don't care, you're not going to help anyone. So unless you have a deep feeling for the welfare of the people you are supposed to lead, please, stop leading."

Need we say more. EXCELLENT ADDITION to the Psychology forum
Star and Flag! We need more threads like this

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Thanks so much TheMythLives, for your kind response. We have had so much in-fighting on our forums lately, I was thinking reviewing this might help us all to feel better.

I recall you made a thread on Leadership not in the distant past, which was interesting in how the leader was able to gather people around him during a crisis due to, not only his wits, but his caring for the people he led.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I think that this is good advice for anyone, whether they've chosen to lead or not. If you're doing good because you want to be recognized, you're likely to be bitterly disappointed. Chances are, you'll be ignored, overlooked, ridiculed, scorned, and attacked. You'll stop if you don't get the result you sought.

But if you do good because it's the right thing to do, then even when no one appreciates it, you don't feel so disappointed and let down.

Thank you for this reminder.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Yes, young one. I did:

WWII The True Story of Survival Warfare and Leadership

And we need more threads like yours to actually show us that our fighting is just misplaced anger and that we really need to look at what we are fighting about, because most of the time its just something stupid. But ANYWAY.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

Yes! This is exactly what the author said.

......."I told them that they could not be in it for fame or glory. If they did what was right and good, they would find meaning and satisfaction, and that meaning and satisfaction would be enough. If they had the meaning, they didn't need the glory".

I also like this, he says:

"You must reconcile yourself to being less noisy, less dramatic, less heroic, and more of a behind-the-scenes, mover of events."

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Whispers to the MythLives: Since when did I become the "young one"?
(I believe that would be you). lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Far too often people take certain stances in the hopes of getting
their egos stroked. When that fails to happen they get dis-
appointed. Before folks go plunging off into the world of politics or
whatever they should take a good hard look at why they want to do
it and what results they feel will justify the effort. If you know that
then by all means charge ahead and lead. Just don't be hurt when
it blows up in your face - you still know that have tried to do the
right thing.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

One of the things that hurts also, is being attacked by the very people you are trying to help.

In a "Silent Revolution", this would be more a source of personal pain and disappoint than not receiving any type of recognition for your effort.

lol: I should send a copy of "anyway" to the President. "Give the people the best you have and you will get kicked in the teeth".

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Browsing this site one sometimes starves for a little oasis of kindness and intelligence. Thanks for providing.

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Thank you Skyfloating for your kind comments.

If there were in the world today, any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we would have paradise in a few years.

Betrand Russell

There is so much chaos in the world now, it is difficult to think clearly at times.

new topics

top topics

join