It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressmen sue Bush over non-declared war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Group to file suit challenging Bush's authority to declare war
By Bipasha Ray, Associated Press, 2/12/2003 21:18
BOSTON (AP) President Bush does not have the authority to launch a military invasion of Iraq without a congressional declaration of war, according to a lawsuit expected to be filed in federal court in Boston on Thursday.

Six members of Congress, three U.S. servicemen and the parents of other U.S. military personnel said on Wednesday they would file the lawsuit that claims any U.S. invasion of Iraq without congressional authority would be unconstitutional.

The plaintiffs, led by U.S. Reps. John Conyers, D-Mich., and Dennis Kucinich, D-Ohio, claim that the congressional declaration on Iraq last October did not specifically declare war and unlawfully gave Bush the right to make that decision, attorney John Bonifaz said.

The lawsuit will cite historical records, including the Constitutional Convention and the Federalist papers, that show framers of the constitution wanted to retain war-declaring powers within the Congress, Bonifaz said.

''They sought to ensure that the president of this country would not have the power of European monarchs to wage war; that should rest only with the elected body of Congress,'' Bonifaz said. ''President Bush is not a king.''

Read All About it Here

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I would be a good start, as long as Cheney is standing next to or behind him (which most puppeteers do stay within proximity so as to allow easy access for placing the hand up the arse of the puppet), so as to save the executioner from an extra swing of the blade.

Anyone up for a game of shrubhead soccer?

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I wrote Conyers and offered him my support.

Y'know, if you support his idea, then perhaps the thing to do is publicize it and ask others to write and offer him support as well. Individually, we're not that important in the scheme of things, but we can back folks who are taking an effective course of action.

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Kucinich, the progressive Wellstone-wannabe, who's constituents think he�d rather be serving San. Fran. bankrupted Cleveland and is hated by most in this area. Thanks Dennis, Cleveland has been better off w/ out you.
(sorry for the rant)

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Sue Bush? No! No! No!

Impeach him, send him to trial, *then* cut off his head! If he's going to be punished for such *blatent* disregard of his Oath of Office, let's at least punish him as the Constitution says he should be punished.

Of course, the "cut off his head" part doesn't *really* show up in the Constitution, but if it's the sentence that the *Judicial Branch* hands to him, then go for it!

BTW, how do you get in touch with Conyers to offer support anyway?...I didn't see anything mentioned in the article about it.

posted on Feb, 14 2003 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Here MD, [email protected] - I have him in my address book!

posted on Feb, 15 2003 @ 03:08 AM
link   
One wonders about Conyers, very senior rep. of course and heap big chief in the Congressional Black Caucus and the House Judiciary Committee. He�s been nibbling away at Bush for a good year (you may recall the case of Haddad last march when the Blessed John Jr. went for the soft-hearted Ashcroft).
You may also recall all sorts of hubbub in 2001 when he used his Judiciary position to scream blue murder about alleged abuse in the Michigan electoral process.
Those with longer memories will recall his less than admirable behaviour at the time of the Clinton impeachment fiasco www.wsws.org...
and his curious stance towards Saddam (new readers begin here: www.newsmax.com.../12/1/45150)

Friend to the poor? Self-seeking Dem on minority/ethnic ticket?

posted on Feb, 19 2003 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This is very alarming and maybe even a little dangerous, whether you're for or against. Here we have a few reps suing because they didn't get their way. H. J. Resolution 114 passed 296 to 133 and stated, clearly I might add: "To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against Iraq." Conyers and gang lost, they don't like the outcome, so they sue.

posted on Feb, 19 2003 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Which are you for: the Costitution or Not? No amendment was made, I didn't like it when it happened and I still don't.
Congress can't abdicate it's war powers. I see the suit as forcing the proper prcess, not a tit for tat sore loser stab.

new topics

top topics

join