It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've just seen something strange, the satellite stopped.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
(jumping up and down franticaly waving arms) I too have seen a 'satelite' stop. camping in NE minnesota..wacthed 2 'satelites' approach each other on a parralel course and passed about a finger width apart (highly scientific measurment
). 1 headed in a northernly direction and the one heading south stopped about 5 seconds after passing the other...stayed there rest of night.

after reading the thread, im surprised no ones has come by with the oool' scientific explaination for this. im sure it is something along the lines of 'it only appears to stop because the light is reflecting off the swamp gass as the 'satelite' does a normal but seldom seen 'roswell' manuver to change its orbit.. see, simple as that'

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I would appreciate it if someone could help me. I have been seeing a "star" for three day now and I thought it is the evening star but it appears very small when the sun sets then in a half hour moves down lower in the sky now being brighter, there after it moves even lower but now being dimmer again. the in a hour an a half to two hours since it appeared it disappears. I t also accompanied by a smaller dimmer counterpart. Any information would be appreciated.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearmind
(jumping up and down franticaly waving arms) I too have seen a 'satelite' stop. camping in NE minnesota..wacthed 2 'satelites' approach each other on a parralel course and passed about a finger width apart (highly scientific measurment
). 1 headed in a northernly direction and the one heading south stopped about 5 seconds after passing the other...stayed there rest of night.

after reading the thread, im surprised no ones has come by with the oool' scientific explaination for this. im sure it is something along the lines of 'it only appears to stop because the light is reflecting off the swamp gass as the 'satelite' does a normal but seldom seen 'roswell' manuver to change its orbit.. see, simple as that'

It's a shame small minded people like yourself have to poke fun at people who try to present rational explanations for what people are seeing, whilst at the same time not having offered up anything constructive to the debate. Just because you may not be able to figure something out, does not mean that others are also incapable.

It could simply be that the satellite has rotated so as it no longer reflects as much light towards you, effectively making it invisible. If this happened while the satellite was passing very close to a star, it could look like the satellite stopped and "became a star".

Satellites can and do dim (as well as brighten). Depending on how good you sky is, in terms of light pollution and transparency, it's not unusual for satellites to dim from visible to invisible in a very short space of time. Besides the rotation, if a satellite passes into earth's shadow it will also become invisible to the naked eye.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bonii
I would appreciate it if someone could help me. I have been seeing a "star" for three day now and I thought it is the evening star but it appears very small when the sun sets then in a half hour moves down lower in the sky now being brighter, there after it moves even lower but now being dimmer again. the in a hour an a half to two hours since it appeared it disappears. I t also accompanied by a smaller dimmer counterpart. Any information would be appreciated.

My advice would be to get yourself some software like the excellent (and free) Stellarium so you can find out for yourself in future.

In the mean time, there's no doubt in my mind that what you are seeing is Venus (the brighter planet) and Jupiter, which have been very close together for the past few weeks, and especially so over the last few days.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I agree, you are seeing Venus and Jupiter.
In my part of the World they are bright and brilliant, several weeks ago Venus was huge and amazing.
Regarding Satellites, remember there is something like 12-13 or 20 Thousand (depends on what quote you use) pieces of Human Junk and Technology orbiting the Earth.
As they tumble and rotate around, they catch the Suns rays and can flash on and off.
It may be night time where you are, but 100 or more miles up, the Suns rays may still be shining.
That is how we see satellites and space junk, it is the Suns rays reflecting off the object, not lights on the satellites.
People have also said geostationary satellites (the ones that dont move), occasionally have thruster bursts to maintain position, so these are seen as flashes.
Not sure about objects moving and stopping in orbit, could be our secret craft???
Gotta keep an eye on you British, who knows what sneaky stuff you have up your sleeve.

edit on 19-3-2012 by gort51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

apparently you missed the point and sarcasim..i did actually see what i wrote, to elaborate, i had been sky watching for about an hour, moonless night and had 10x binos with as well. watched these 2 objects travel towards each other for about 15 to 20 seconds, then pass by each other. then the southbound one just stopped. didnt disappear or fade, it just stopped. very weird at the time.

i only offered my experience, along with the many others that have posted. and to repeat, i am surprised that no one has come along with any info about this 'satillite stopping' thing. seems to be frequently observed. are these optical illusions formed by atmosphere that we are looking thru..that is what was ment by...... 'it only appears to stop because the light is reflecting off the swamp gass as the 'satelite' does a normal but seldom seen 'roswell' manuver to change its orbit"

so there was nothing small minded about my comment..asking questions, always asking questions

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightrun
reply to post by Acidtastic

The next night I think it was still there and pointed it out to my brother. He had doubts and then it started fading out. It was a very clear night and it was the only "star" to fade, and then it faded back in. As far as I know, the "satellite/star" remained there for a week afterward, at which point I wasn't sure if I was getting mixed up with other stars or not.

I saw a similar thing to that a couple of weeks ago.
Except it didn't stop it just faded out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join