It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've just seen something strange, the satellite stopped.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
In the late 90's one summer I was out looking at the sky, watching what I thought was a satellite passing nearly directly overhead--regularly flashing light moving slowly. Then three smaller lights peeled off from it and zipped off in different directions. The small lights were blue, the larger light was white. One of the blue lights appeared to come straight down towards me but all of them except for the white one disappeared quickly. Made me feel weird anyway, like something might be coming.

Jimmyth

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Wow, a whole thread with witnesses who have seen satellites 'stop' and do other weird things...

It makes me wonder about what we're really seeing when a 'satellite' pass by,

Originally posted by completenuttergit
I saw a weird one a few months ago but kept quiet about it, Being in the south of England i was outside having a smoke about 1am, looking north i noticed two lights which i thought were satelites. Both traveling on the same course and same speed going from west to east. Then, one stopped and the one behind did exactly the same .

The leading one the moved off again and then the following one did the same then, again, the leading one stopped and the following one slowed and stopped... then both moved off on a different course due north and promptly disappeared ..

Originally posted by GezinhoKiko
fantastic thread mate. Me and my girlfriend live in the west midlands and on most nights (when clear) i love to be looking at the sky, and on a few occasions have seen satelites, but on one we saw 3 together just cruising across the sky, they didnt stop but they were within an inch of each other (from my prospective). Now im saying they were satelites but would they have been that close???

I just though that it was best - before a debunker stops by and proposes these accompanied lights to be NOSS - to put the facts straight.

The NOSS 1 cluster satellite program started out in 1976 and orbited in threes, so did the NOSS 2 (started in 1990), but in the NOSS 3 program (launched in 2001) there is only one satellite, so NO, there are no more satellites traveling in threes up there.

And even if they did once upon a time, the NOSS satellites orbited at a distance of 30 to 240 km to each other, so it would hardly look as if they traveled together.

So you can't pull that rabbit out of the hat every time someone sees three moving lights up in the sky. Sorry.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by Heliocentric]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
within the past two months i saw a sat. stop but it stopped in front of a star. i thought it was weirf

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
i've actually seen a satellite pass by during the day, clear sky but nothing suspicious. :[

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Hi,

Yes old thread replied to as I still can't create new threads and the existing content is relevant still.

First of all a couple of months ago in Ibiza I pointed out a satellite, what looked like a faint star moving across the sky. I kept watching and then it stopped. It stayed roughly where it was but appeared to be making slight movements back and forth in all directions, sort of a swaying motion. After a good few more minutes I left it finding it odd but thought it must be some high altitude baloon of some sort reflecting light? It did seem to move around like it was being bown about.

Last night at 4am (couldn't sleep) back home in UK midlands I look out to notice a very bright oject (like Jupiter) moving across the sky slowly so I thought another satellite! Then it did the same, stopped and swayed about a bit until I lost it when the clouds came in a good 10mins later. This time I grabbed my camera (5x zoom) and took these pics:

- still

- moving (brightness increased)

Now I thought perhaps it is Jupiter but it shouldn't be moving in such an obvious way should it? A Satellite won't stop and sway about? So what is it?

AdD
edit on 11-9-2011 by 00adam because: spelling

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I saw the same thing a few years ago. I was out on the porch, smoking and star gazing and when I looked straight up I saw what I thought was a sat. While I was watching, it stopped, went slowly left, stopped, came back to center, then went right, came back to center again and then stayed for as long as I was out. It took about 3-4 minutes for all this to happen. Haven't figured out what it was to this day.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Satellites can stop, they all have fuel to readjust their position.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

No, they can't
they need the momentum to remain in orbit, otherwise they would just fall back to Earth. They might use engines to reposition, but never stop.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

satelites can stop ...really....maybe with a big set of acme brakes installed by the cyote himself.......

i stare at the night sky plenty and have seen what i thought was a satelight and then like in the op its just stopped,then again i have seen many things i cant explain so i tend to write it off...

peace

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

And wouldn't they have to move pretty fast to appear stationary?

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I live in the Durham area of England and I've seen stuff like this a few times now. I look forward to taking the dog for a walk, hoping that I can catch something on my crap camera phone lol

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Interesting that you brought this up i as was thinking about doing so just the other day. I live in southern France and for the past couple of months have spent almost every night staring up at the stars. I see many satellites - especially on really dark clear nights when the moons not out - stop, travel at speeds ranging from really slow to crossing the sky in less than a minute, sometimes just vanish completely, and get brighter and dimmer. I dont know if this kind of thing is normal for satellites.

Do they travel at different speeds? I know some appear brighter than others because of how high they are but sometimes i see them and they just look so so bright. Like brighter than the brightest star in the sky (which from where i am is Arcturus in the Bootes constellation). I am no expert on this kind of thing so if theres anyone that could clear this up for me that would be great.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

It all depends on their orbital height. Most satellites travel up to 18,000 miles per hour, whereas geostationary satellites travel close to 7000 miles per hour, above the equator and further away, the further away, the less speed is required as gravity is weaker.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

congratulations on your first. i'm in double figures over 20 odd years. always amuses me when i clock one doing that. can't wait for clear skies and night vision.
f.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I have never seen one just stop, but one night me and some friends were walking back from the river and we all seen what we thought was a satellite moving to the left and then all of a sudden this triangle of 3 solid lights move together and the one moving to the left joined them all at the same time in the middle, extremely weird.

Excuse the bad paint job, but it's just to illustrate what I mean.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6aa96a9d3e27.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I saw something that I thought was the space station on Thursday night. It was extremely bright & traveling about the same speed that the ISS travels. As I was watching, it went behind a tree & reappeared in a small spot between two trees where I could plainly see it, & stopped. I tried to rationalize that it was going directly away from me & only appeared to be stopped, but that didn't make sense, because it would have had to turn in order to do that.

I went to the computer to check on the times that the ISS would be passing here, & it wasn't supposed to be here that night. Then I went back & it was still in the same spot. I watched it for a few more minutes, & suddenly it disappeared.

I still don't know what it was.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Regarding satellites orbiting in groups, there is at least one project out there with two satellites known as “ Tom And Jerry” .

The GRACE mission consists of two satellites flying one behind another in near circular orbits at an altitude of 460 km and about 220 km apart. The satellites have really neat nicknames: Tom and Jerry. The leading satellite (that would be Jerry) sends a microwave signal to the trailing satellite (Tom) to precisely measure the distance between the two. GRACE can detect very small changes in the distance that separates the two spacecraft, down to one-tenth of the width of a human hair. The Global Positioning System (GPS) onboard Tom and Jerry is used to determine the precise location of the measurement taken

orbitalhub.com...

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I now the photos don't proove a lot but they do show that something as bright as Jupiter was wobbling about in relation to the other fixed stars and I'm clueless. I am in no way saying it is an ET craft from another planet as it was moving like a baloon being tossed about, as I would expect right angles and shi1t! Surely there is some rational explanation?
edit on 11-9-2011 by 00adam because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-9-2011 by 00adam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 00adam

Yes, the rational explanation is called wobbly camera wrist. Them pics have already been debunked (I think)

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Frget the pics, all I'm saying as others have is what looked like a satellite (moving star) was moving before stopping more or less

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join