It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Hemp Save The Planet?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
IIRC, it was the cotton or paper industry that originally got hemp pushed out by legislation in the first place.

Even I know there ar emany benefits from teh hemp plant, the problem is, all the hippy potheads can't distinguish it from weed in their drug addled minds and more or less just want an excuse to grow weed so they can smoke themselves even more retarded.

Unfortunately, that's the reality of the situation. Most of the people that are for it are the ones causing its ultimate defeat. sad in many ways.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
reply to post by iamcamouflage

No, hanes WOULDN'T make hemp underwear.
Why?
Because you only need like 3 pair to last a life-time.

Are you saying that if you could buy underwear, socks, cloths that last your entire life, you would not buy them?

Where demand exists, a market exists.

This is Economics 101.

-Edrick

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
Please source your claim that Hemp can cross pollinate onto other plants. This is the second time in this thread that you have made this claim and you have not provided a source. I have never heard this and my education, tells me it is false. Please do not perpetuate false information.
Thank You

Please feel free to do your own research, I've already spelled it out for you. What do you think would be an obvious plant that could cross-pollinate with industrial hemp, and be effected in a severely negative way?

I will not provide off-site links on this topic, it requires very little effort to research.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder
IIRC, it was the cotton or paper industry that originally got hemp pushed out by legislation in the first place.

Even I know there ar emany benefits from teh hemp plant, the problem is, all the hippy potheads can't distinguish it from weed in their drug addled minds and more or less just want an excuse to grow weed so they can smoke themselves even more retarded.

Unfortunately, that's the reality of the situation. Most of the people that are for it are the ones causing its ultimate defeat. sad in many ways.

well... i didnt see a lot of hippies in the 1700's when hemp was most prominent.. so where are you getting your info? also you cant use hemp as a drug, it isnt marijuana. we've discussed this thoroughly already

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12
well thats exactly what weve been talking about throughout this whole post... the fact that the government and large companies wont allow it.. which is why people need to not give a crap what they say, stop buying things, and bruise their system.

of course they dont care what we, the people, actually want. they could care less.

I don't know, I disagree in many ways. I figure it like this, if the oil companies could quickly and easily retool their plants to process hemp into fuel, and if the fabric companies could do the same with hemp fiber to make the same products cheaper and with less overhead, they'd be on that stuff in a hot second. it just makes good business sense.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

Please feel free to do your own research, I've already spelled it out for you. What do you think would be an obvious plant that could cross-pollinate with industrial hemp, and be effected in a severely negative way?

Yes, I understand what you are saying.

And it is an interesting point.

but industrial hemp has existed alongside this "Other" plant for thousands of years, and it has never adversely affected the "Properties" of industrial hemp.

After all... if what you are saying is true, then industrial hemp would have never become a separate strain in the first place, with the cross pollination.

-Edrick

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SOXMIS
Excellent thread, F&S from me, please mods dont bring this one down!
I cant add anything to the uses of hemp seeing that pretty much all I know has been covered very well. The only input I can put in is how to bring about the freedom to grow, use and trade hemp. Unfortunately I cannot see how anything will change with the greedy selfish mindset we all seem to possess in one form or another. Only a mass global movement by the majority of the worlds population would effect such a change and it would require a total dismantling of the control structures inherent in all modern civilisations. Most would not even entertain such a notion.

well... be one of the few that decides to change then! its quite simple really... and quite nice to not rely on just money and posessions for your happiness.

its easy to make a change.. people only assume its hard

link   
reply to post by Edrick

I should respond point by point. Perhaps I'll do that from here out. However, I don't think it will matter much.

You see, the idea that "hemp will save the planet" implies that the absence of hemp (although there really isn't one, I have a pair of hemp adidas in the closet that I've owned for about 10 years now and are still in good condition... I bought them right here in Arkansas) is 'destroying' the planet.

This simply isn't the case.
What you guys are arguing is that if we mass-produced hemp, we would save the planet.
I'm simply saying that we will never mass produce hemp because the accumulative cost-cuts to the system overweigh the profitability.

This is pretty much alredy proven, as hemp is not illegal... yet it isn't saving the planet.

link   
reply to post by Edrick

what posseses ypu to believe that ` hemp shoes ` will last 20 years ???????

do some research into hemp rope - its maintainince intensive - rots for fun and is not consistant in strength

if you feel really brave - sign up to a mountaineering or caving forum and tell them how good hemp rope is - they will charr grill you

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by calihan_12
well... i didnt see a lot of hippies in the 1700's when hemp was most prominent.. so where are you getting your info? also you cant use hemp as a drug, it isnt marijuana. we've discussed this thoroughly already

maybe i didn't articulate myself correctly...

getting pushed out was in teh past, getting it re-legalized is now.

and yeah, as some have said, but so many in this thread have demonstrated, they don't really understand the difference between industrial grade hemp and marijuana. one is useless as a substitute for the other.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
He is right it is very easy to Google the info.

Don't post any links because Semper is watching and I can tell you he'll make it known.

Stay away from any topic or links pertaining to illegal substances or mind altering drugs.

It violates TOC.

Originally posted by maus80

Please source your claim that Hemp can cross pollinate onto other plants. This is the second time in this thread that you have made this claim and you have not provided a source. I have never heard this and my education, tells me it is false. Please do not perpetuate false information.
Thank You

I will not provide off-site links on this topic, it requires very little effort to research.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

Economics 101 - if you want to have a business that has any sort of life-span, create a product that needs to be replaced. Supply and demand.

Like "free energy"...

What sort of energy mogul in their right mind would suggest such a foolish notion.

link   
coffinfeeder, heres the thing

hemp is a plant. now, as with most plants that are legal, you are free to grow them wherever, and could easily in your own backyard if you felt like it , so that gives you some freedom right there

but lets not forget... my main point in making hemp legal was to show that it would better the environment, and it is a "superfood" and would alltogether make people and the planet a healthier place

link   
coffinfeeder, heres the thing

hemp is a plant. now, as with most plants that are legal, you are free to grow them wherever, and could easily in your own backyard if you felt like it , so that gives you some freedom right there

but lets not forget... my main point in making hemp legal was to show that it would better the environment, and it is a "superfood" and would alltogether make people and the planet healthier

[edit on 19-8-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
yes but hemp is illegal to grow.. and telling people they cant grow something, but you can still sell hemp products.. doesnt make a whole lot of sense, now does it?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

You see, the idea that "hemp will save the planet" implies that the absence of hemp .... is 'destroying' the planet.

Plastics effect every ecosystem in detrimental ways, because petroleum based plastics are photodegradable, instead of biodegradable.

Corn, used as cattle feed, takes up more space, time, and resources than hemp based cattle feed.

Hemp acts as a carbon Sponge, 20 times faster than trees.

What you guys are arguing is that if we mass-produced hemp, we would save the planet.
I'm simply saying that we will never mass produce hemp because the accumulative cost-cuts to the system overweigh the profitability.

Proffitability is what is destroying this world.

What is more profitable, Billions of Free, happy individuals; or Billions of mind numbed consumer slaves?

@ignorant_ape

what posseses ypu to believe that ` hemp shoes ` will last 20 years ???????

it was an obvious exaggeration... It lasts longer than cotton, that was my point.

-Edrick

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by maus80

Thank You

Hemp can cross pollinate with one other plant. We are all aware of which one. But due to that plant also being illegal, I do not see the problem with cross pollination. Yes there will be some hemp plants that become pollinated by the "other" plant but its not as though that "other" plant is growing everywhere. The pollen from that plant can only travel a couple miles at best.

Its not as though if hemp were legalized, they would all become cross pollinated by that other plant. Pollination of hemp is only required to produce seeds that would be used for their oil, pulp, etc. The next year a new set of fertile, untainted 100% hemp seeds would be used. Pollinating a hemp plant, with that other plant does not turn it into that "other" plant. It only causes the hemp plant to produce a hybrid seed. Which like I said would be destroyed and used for its oil and pulp.

Cross pollination would not cause any serious problems.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by iamcamouflage]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Edrick
but industrial hemp has existed alongside this "Other" plant for thousands of years, and it has never adversely affected the "Properties" of industrial hemp.

After all... if what you are saying is true, then industrial hemp would have never become a separate strain in the first place, with the cross pollination.

-Edrick

We are talking about a completely different scale of cultivation here, I guarantee you it would really throw a huge wrench in the gears.

Consider that a large amount of money and manpower is spent to eradicate wild strains that can negatively impact other plants.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

Economics 101 - if you want to have a business that has any sort of life-span, create a product that needs to be replaced. Supply and demand.

Economics 201, if you want your economy to be able to survive long term, do not concentrate the wealth to highly.

Concentration of wealth (The planned obsolescence mindset) is about creating profits to take from people (The economy) and centralize to a small group of individuals.

This centralization of wealth inherently destroys any economy that it occurs in.

-Edrick

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Edrick

Yeah, I mentioned the purifying of water for a reason, although it seemed out of place.

I still don't think you are following.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join