It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Hemp Save The Planet?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The title says it all. I want to talk to you about a little plant we like to call hemp. For those of you who don’t know already, hemp is illegal to grow in the united states. There really is no valid reason for it, all the government can come up with is “It is a marijuana plant, and marijuana is illegal, and is a drug”…. well… funny thing is, marijuana and hemp are two very different things, and you cant smoke hemp or get any sort of high from it. Therefore leading do the question… Why is hemp really illegal?

I’ve done my research, and I have found some staggering information about hemp and it’s insane amount of uses.
*Hemp seeds have more nutrients and antioxidants than just about any vegetable or fruit in existence, and have been proven to lower blood cholesterol and dissolve plaque in coronary arteries.
*Hemp can be grown in even the most desolet environments, including the sahara desert of Africa, because it is such a strong and hardy plant. It could be grown virtually anywhere.
*Hemp works incredibly for hair and skincare. It has loads of nutrients including polyunsaturated fatty acids, omega-3, omega-6, omega-9, linoleic acid, and gamma linoleic acids.
*You can make paper from hemp, and it is acid free. Think of what good this could do for the environment. You would no longer have to cut down billions of trees. Not to mention hemp is far superior to wood and hemp paper is three times stronger and more durable than paper made from wood.
*One of the biggest impacts it could have, is being used as fuel. Yes, that’s right, hemp can even be used for fuel. It has a high cellulose level which makes it perfect for ethanol fuel production. Ethanol is the cleanest burning liquid bio-alternative to gasoline. Hemp provides a sustainable, clean, healthy, and renewable alternative to toxic fossil fuels.
*Hemp can be used for biodegradable nontoxic paints, inks, and varnishes.
*Hemp can be used as plastic.
*Hemp can be used as a textile fiber. It is proven to be the strongest, most durable fiber known to mankind.
*You can make concrete from hemp
*You can make medicine from hemp which would cure many sicknesses and diseases
*Hemp is one of the best fibers for fabric, therefore hemp is an excellent fiber for clothes, and it is durable so clothing would last much longer.
*Many have argued that fields of hemp could reverse the greenhouse effect caused by global warming. Hemp has been proven to reduce CO2 levels drastically, and it puts out loads of oxygen.

Hemp has been around for ages. The forefathers of our country used hemp rigorously. Pilgrimages used hamp canvases to cover their wagons. Ships and sailboats used hemp for the sails and ropes. Were they all wrong to have used hemp? They had that freedom... why cant we?

Why are we not seeing this? This single plant could answer almost every problem we face on life. Shelter, clothing, textiles, fuel, a healthy planet, food and nourishment. All of it

Someone has got to change this. Every day we have more and more rights taken away from us. Doesn't it say in the declartion of independence that everyone has the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Whos to decide for us how to live, and whats right or wrong?

To end with an interesting fact… Jack Herrer, a well known hemp activist and writer, said if anyone could prove that hemp doesn’t do all of the above, he would pay them $50,000 cash. No one has been able to.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
You can read the entire Jack Herer book, "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" here.

Unfortunately this thread will probably be deleted within a few hours, and the person that made it will be warned not to make another, even though there are hundreds more available to anyone searching for alcohol, hallucinogens, or other drugs... Even though there's essentially zero drug content in hemp, which has huuuuge ramifications regarding the economy and any other subject talked about on this site...

You can search youtube for people making entire houses out of hemp concrete, and pretty much any other industrial use you can think of from the past 500 years, but the internet's about as much coverage as it get's in the united states.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by alaskan]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
but see? thats just what i mean. its NOT even a drug, at all, in any way, and yet we cant talk about it.

On a site like this where people should feel free to speak and not be judged about the stories, conspiracies, and information they share, I sure feel the moderators of this site should not be such hypocrites.

we can talk about anything else in the world, from aliens to government conspiracies to god knows what else, and yet we cant even so much as mention anything pertaining to "drugs"? thats the reason this country is so messed up in the first place. People claim to open minded but they shut down anything they disagree with or are afraid to talk about.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

That's true, this site's already illegal in the first place according to the government.
If they outlaw eating, does that mean we're not allowed to talk about food just because the government says so?
This seems to be the logic applied to hemp here at ATS.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Me and plenty others have tried that argument countless times- it just doesn't work on here.

Present all the facts you want, the people that control this site just don't allow this sort of terrorism.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360

That's true, this site's already illegal in the first place according to the government.
If they outlaw eating, does that mean we're not allowed to talk about food just because the government says so?
This seems to be the logic applied to hemp here at ATS.

haha, so true. really wouldnt doubt if that day comes. they seem to outlaw just about everything anyways..

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Of course it can but there wouldn't be any profits to be made for TPTB so it will wallow in obscurity.

btw

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Hemp is a renewable, highly-efficient industrial product. It is also one that spreads the wealth. It can be grown almost anywhere. We can't have competition in a so-called free-market economy, now can we. Not to mention its more psychoactive cousin has gained the iconic status of anti-control. Leviathan does not want its insecurities exposed. Legal cannabis in any form faces major roadblocks by the oligarchical fascist corporatacracy. It is one of the many avenues that leads to its mortal wounding.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Well, I don't know about the planet, but the State of Oregon, and four other States believe it can at least save their States from Economic Depression.

As such, these States have overturned the long-standing ban on Hemp and are allowing it to be grown without restriction.

Personally, I think Papyrus is a much better choice for Paper than Hemp, but Hemp Paper is infinitely a better choice than Tree Pulp Paper. Even with Hemp you get 100x more yield per acre, with far less water required.

I also think Quinoa and Kamut are better choices for food than Hemp Seed, but Hemp Seed is infinitely a better choice than Corn. Again, even with Hemp you get a far larger yield per acre, with far less water required.

Hemp isn't the Wonder Plant, but it's an Ecologically Smart Plant with a lot of diverse uses. It has been long overdue that we picked up where we left off post-WWII and take up the same form of Agriculture our Forefathers like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson left us as a legacy.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Ah, this takes me back.

When the narcotics board was still up I made a great thread about Hemp being the real Economic Stimulus Package, and unfortunetly got canned because some members weren't nice.

That's old news though.

Yes Hemp can save the planet. The biggest untapped cash crop of our time as far as I am concerned. The ammount of products and profit that could be made from this substance are astounding, and yet it goes un-noticed.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I have to share this.

An old video that says a lot.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Hemp will save the world as soon as people get their head out of their asses.I see no reason to legalize raising it anywhere.Oh and as far as t@c is there a rule about talking about medication because i use canabis for a medication and i have never found anything better.Also a lot of car companies use hemp to make parts for their cars..Put that in your pipe and smoke IT!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I meant i see no reason NOT to legalize it completetly.Yeah we are so free here in the good ol USA .

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Yeah I used to live in oregon and I definitely see a lot more promise there, than in pennsylvania where I am now.

Some see the big picture, they get it, others dont.

The bottom line is, americans are suffering. People cant afford to keep paying for gas and food and clothes and medication and everything else at the rate it keeps going. While some prices are dropping... it still doesnt matter. People are running out of money and jobs. And with a healthy, renewable plant that can cure a lot of those problems... why not just let us have that freedom?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I mean hell we let them ban whatever they want. We dont do anything about it. How many things have they taken away from us already? Cant even begin to count.

Cameras on every street corner... cell phones tapped... lists you can be put on if you rent certain books from the library or go on certain sites.. being forced to take "no child left behind" tests..vaccinations you are required to take.. the list goes on and on and on

when will it end?

[edit on 18-8-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

It's all about the other industries that are already in place.

If you were to legalize hemp and have it as a cash crop, then here are the following industries that would be out of business within 10 years.

Textile
Oil
Plastics
Paper/Forestry

I believe there are a few more, but those are the major ones. These industries have a lot of money put into keeping hemp down, and that won't change anytime soon.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
yeah i know.. at the end of the day money is the root of all evil and all of our problems in the world.

but when everything goes to hell and we go into some great depression and no one can afford anything anymore... then what?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Hemp is sort of like a person put in prison simply because they fit the description of the perpetrator at large in the area a crime took place. Hemp has received a bad rap for doing nothing wrong. Simply because it's close relative, Marijuana, is a drug producing plant. Thats like placing your entire family under arrest because your little brother stole a car. It is time to let the FACTS regarding Hemp be brought to the light. Lets save the American Farmer from becoming an endangered species.

....get more info and FACTS here:

www.hempfarm.org...

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Creedo]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Creedo
Hemp is sort of like a person put in prison simply because they fit the description of the perpetrator at large in the area a crime took place. Hemp has received a bad rap for doing nothing wrong. Simply because it's close relative, Marijuana, is a drug producing plant. Thats like placing your entire family under arrest because your little brother stole a car. It is time to let the FACTS regarding Hemp be brought to the light. Lets save the American Farmer from becoming an endangered species.

....get more info and FACTS here:

www.hempfarm.org...

Haha, nice comparisons. definitely the truth

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Creedo]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join