It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart, CVS, Best Buy Ditch Glenn Beck (Plus Five More Companies)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Yes I am defending Glenn Beck because there is a right to free speech in this nation. And it seems to me like there are concerted efforts to shut down free speech in this country.

And I defend the right of corporations to not associate with a spokesperson who might damage their image. Nobody's trying to violate Glenn's right to free speech and that part of your message is complete hogwash.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

I think folk are over thinking this one and neglecting the obvious ...

Namely that Glen is not well man.

Now granted, not many are, including the other poop talking machine Ed Schultz, and I have serious worries about Duce and the gang ...

But old crazy eyed Glen surely takes the cake.

God help you if you watch him in hi-def.

/r4ag64

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Namely that Glen is not well man.

What prominent right wing figure isn't smeared with this kind of demonetization? They are all called stupid, racist, crazy and extreme. Every single one of them. At some point, one would think people would start to notice a trend.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wimbly
What prominent right wing figure isn't smeared with this kind of demonetization? They are all called stupid, racist, crazy and extreme. Every single one of them. At some point, one would think people would start to notice a trend.

Indeed, my friend, indeed. Where there is smoke, there is fire...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wimbly

I find it interesting that you would consider Beck "right wing" ...

So far as I can tell he's for whatever craziness du jour.

I don't think he even knows what he is ...

Or where he is.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Funny, I had posted this several days ago.............

www.abovetopsecret.com...

He won't last long now.

Those arguing about his up until now ratings don't fully grasp and advertiser's wish not to sponsor a show like that. Funny how the part that is always claiming to have "values" objects when corporations exercise their right to show the same.

Trust me, he'll soon be a goner. Buh-bye and good riddance.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic23

I'm not a conservative. I have and always will be a Constitutionalist. I have and always will stand up for those being shut up and shut out no matter what they're saying. Because in the end the merit of ones ideas determines their validity and hence popularity. There is still a market of free ideas, and corporations stifle that. Bought and payed for politics results in this crap right here. The Press, the only profession protected as a RIGHT in the US, should be held to a higher standard than this. And the collusion of government with the corporations that provide the news should NEVER be allowed, as they'll turn into propaganda machines...

[edit on 19-8-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I fully support Glenn Beck. He is one of the only people speaking the truth out there. I miss the lighter side of Glenn but I understand how serious things are becoming. Time to grow up and confront what is being done to our country.

The NWO comment by the poster cracked me up. You obviously know nothing about Glenn Beck. He reports to nobody and goes to great lengths to let you know that. He is the one pointing out those driving us into their vision of a NWO.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Here my 2 cents

I see that Huffington if pushing this, she has a lot of followers... Obama doesn't have to do anything at all to get these advertisers to drop Beck.

If all of Huffingtons followers are calling these advertisers daily then that is plenty to discourage the advertisers. They don't like getting negative feedback form the public. A few thousand phonecalls complaining about their association with Beck is more than enough to change their minds if they're not getting any calls supporting Beck...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
More power to the big advertisers ... Go advertise on loser channels.

As was noted earlier, that there are many advertisers that can't wait to get exposure during Glenn's hour. We'll have to wait and see who they are...

Obama being racist? That's what started all this? Did Obama know anything other than his Prof. bud got arrested by a white cop; LOL prof. and the whole fiasco.

Wull, rewatch his comments that were out of line. He should never have said anything; he knew it at the time, yet he went off teleprompter and made the claim.

I won't give him a pass because almost every time he goes off the teleprompter he either puts his foot in his mouth or obviously comes very close to doing it.

I won't presume to tie Obama directly to the Black Panther story; it sure would be different if there were KKK in bedsheets with nightsticks at a polling location. They just dropped the charges on the two Black Panther criminals. Not withstanding Obama appointed one of the people that had all charges dropped.

[color=gold]...

Here's another story that we should all be watching.

It's not scary; it's highly offensive to America. Again, it's highly offensive to America.

[color=gold]...

Let the advertisers stir up more media exposure. Beck has been doing great and more power to him; he's exposing ACORN/Apollo and more. No one in MSM else even cares to look.

I can tell by the MSM ratings plummeting that I'm not alone in wishing them a quick and painful trip straight to hell. Good riddance. And NO I'm not angry at all. Not yet.

[edit on 8·18·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Im on the floor rolling after this....
Did anyone see the Daily Show with John Stewart this past week?
He pulled a you-tube clip of Glenn Beck back when he was on Headline News and Beck stated "This country has the worst health care blah blah blah.." So Stewart pulls the clips from Beck this recent week and now that he's on Fox he is screaming "I love this countries health care is the best in the world"!! All I can say is I'm glad I'm a Reformist and soon enough there will be a third party in to set this country straight.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I'm not a conservative. I have and always will be a Constitutionalist. I have and always will stand up for those being shut up and shut out no matter what they're saying. Because in the end the merit of ones ideas determines their validity and hence popularity. There is still a market of free ideas, and corporations stifle that. Bought and payed for politics results in this right crap here. The Press, the only profession protected as a RIGHT in the US, should be held to a higher standard than this. And the collusion of government with the corporations that provide the news should NEVER be allowed, as they'll turn into propaganda machines...

I totally agree, but Beck is probably insane and he pretends to cry about issues like fool. I would not blame any company for not wanting to support him.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I'm not a conservative. I have and always will be a Constitutionalist. I have and always will stand up for those being shut up and shut out no matter what they're saying. Because in the end the merit of ones ideas determines their validity and hence popularity. There is still a market of free ideas, and corporations stifle that. Bought and payed for politics results in this right crap here. The Press, the only profession protected as a RIGHT in the US, should be held to a higher standard than this. And the collusion of government with the corporations that provide the news should NEVER be allowed, as they'll turn into propaganda machines...

Beck is not a journalist. He is basically a talking Op-Ed piece.

And could you clarify your stance a bit? Are you saying that advertisers should be forced to fund a show if they don't agree with it or believe it's bad for their company?

You're right about one's ideas. Beck made a few blatantly racist statements. His advertisers determined that they did not have validity or merit, so they began to drop him. Even if it's outside groups putting pressure on Beck's advertisers, they are well within their rights to do so.

The Constitution guarantees you the right to free speech, and in no way was Beck's impeded. The Constitution does not give you the right to force people to agree or even listen to that speech, nor does it hinder a third party from trying to sway your audience against you, because that party also has a right to free speech.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by on_yur_6
Time to grow up and confront what is being done to our country.

Oddly, I grew up about 6 years ago when I saw what Bush was doing to our country.

I'd say we're "confronting" it now................

Fighting an unecessary war.

U.S. Troop Casualties - 4,325 US troops; 98% male. 91% non-officers; 82% active duty, 11% National Guard; 74% Caucasian, 9% African-American, 11% Latino. 19% killed by non-hostile causes. 54% of US casualties were under 25 years old. 72% were from the US Army

Source

The Patriot Act.

The Act increases the ability of law enforcement agencies to search telephone, e-mail communications, medical, financial, and other records; eases restrictions on foreign intelligence gathering within the United States;

Source

Recession.

Under the Bush Administration, real GDP grew at an average annual rate of 2.5%,considerably below the average for business cycles from 1949 to 2000.

Bush entered office with the Dow Jones Industrial Average at 10,587, and the average peaked in October 2007 at over 14,000. When Bush left office, the average was at 7,949, one of the lowest levels of his presidency.

By October 2008, due to increases in domestic and foreign spending, the national debt had risen to $11.3 trillion,an increase of over 100% from the start of the year 2000 when the debt was $5.6 trillion.

In December 2007, the United States entered the longest post-World War II recession, which included a housing market correction, a subprime mortgage crisis, soaring oil prices, and a declining dollar value.

Source

Yeah I agree, time for others to "grow up" and support the President challenged to fix all this.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissysWorld
I would explore the idea that maybe these companies are pulling thier ads, because someone or some group is strong arming them to do so...
Hummmm..sounds like something the Obama admin. would do..
Obama Adm. strong arming companies??..Never in a million years..

That would seem to be the case. Look at the last paragraph of the quote from the article back on page 1 of this thread and you will see what I mean. It pretty much stated that they have been putting pressure on companies who advertise on Glenn Beck's show to drop him. I'm not really sure if there is any way to tell if it is a valid grassroots effort or if it is secretly being backed by the Obama administration. Either way it doesn't matter. The end result is same. It is an attempt to silence an opposing viewpoint.

I know a lot of people here seem to think of Glenn Beck as a shill and I must admit that I've entertained those thoughts myself from time to time. Personally, I think he is a truth seeker in denial. On his radio program he validates some of the ideas that get kicked around on these forums. Yet in the same breath he denies being a conspiracy theorist and even tries to debunk certain other conspiracy theorist claims. A sure sign of a truth seeker in denial. Someone who is slowly waking up but is not sure how to process the idea that some things may not be as he has always believed.

I really hope that these attempts to silence him are not successful. I don't always agree with him on everything he says but I do enjoy listening to his radio program on my drive to work in the mornings.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Look at the source of the cutting of funds.

Look to see who the decision makers of these companies' are associated with. There you will find your answers.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Look at the source of the cutting of funds.

Look to see who the decision makers of these companies' are associated with. There you will find your answers.

Well since most are publicly traded companies owned by shareholders, I'd say it is "We The People."

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

It is not free speech if it is slander.

This isn't the first time Glen Beck has said something. Usually these things are acccummalative.

I am still angry about him not telling the guy who said we need a terrorist attack right now to beat it.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles

They are pulling their ads because they don't like what he says right?

Are these companies going to potentially lose out on something if people side with him on an issue?

It just dawned on me that these Mega-Corporations can do this to anyone if they wanted to, pull their ads, put it in the news, and try to get them fired.

Your thoughts?

It is not the first time that corporations threatens or remove their "ads" privilege from a show, a certain individual or a whole network.

It is sickening to know how much power the corporations hold on the media.

A small segment of the movie "the corporation" to illustrate this point.

Glen Beck is threading the fine line between corporate america and acceptable news etiquette (these day and age, the etiquette is anything goes as long as it makes the news) and Fox news did almost adapt themselves as a "Jerry Sprigner" standard.

Glen Beck is Fox's "Jerry, Jerry, Jerry". If the can spill that much oil, how long will it be before someone throw a match and ignite it?

Fox News, as far as it is concerned didn't loose them sponsors mentioned by the OP's article but I'll bet cha they had a "sit down" with Glenn and told him "how things are and how to get with the program" For Fox News knows as much as anyone who follows Glenn that the guy just cannot shut the hell up, even if it was to save his own life. He loves throwing the oil out there and with comments like his, he is merrily stepping in the puddle.

Other misplaced comments like the one where he accuse Obama of being a racist, Fox News might just not renew his contract as a legal way to show the door out to Mr Beck.

I have read comments that, to silence Glen Beck opinions on Television would be a breach of his freedom of speech. I fail to see on how/when/where the Main Stream Media went wrong meaning that it is more important to report on the 5 O clock local news that a kitten has been rescued from a tree than to report what is pertinent and relevant, what is happening in the community and how it may affect us all. If any small news reporter gets a juicy lead that there is government corruption or corporation foul play, they are stifled, forbidden to ever report it on the televised news. If it hurts the government, a big corporation or a smaller subsidiary of the latter, this is when pressure can be and in Beck's case, exercised, to silence what ever is damaging to "them" to ever air.

But Glen Beck did not loose in anyway any freedom of speech for he can still go outside on the street and preach his words to whom is willing to listen. If it wasn't for the television, his message would reached a heck of a lot hell less people than it does right now.

Your thoughts?

Never liked the guy to begin with, if he gets fired, it will not make a difference in my life nor a ripple in my pond. But then someone else would come along to replace him, someone who might be even more incendiary and provocateur than Mr Beck... The news are just what they used to be and that is in my honest opinion the real breach in freedom of speech, what they will not or are told not to report, not some whack job huffing and puffing on television accusing people here and there in order to get more ratings.

As long as Fox News agrees to let Glenn Beck on the air carry on as he is, they are the ones taking the full blow by keeping him on their payroll.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
This special aired on FOX October 2008. Sean Hannity - Obama & Friends History of Radicalisam

www.youtube.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join