It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart, CVS, Best Buy Ditch Glenn Beck (Plus Five More Companies)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Glenn Beck is a farce.

Remember a couple of years ago when Don Imus got the boot for some ill advised commentary about the Rutgers women's basketball team? That wasn't an immediate dismissal. The network waited until some significant sponsorship pressure was brought to bear before doing anything. Imus hadn't done anything he hadn't been doing all along. It wasn't until the corporate sponsors kicked up a fuss that the network finally became aware ~winkwink~. And the sponsors would've been fine had they not been getting public pressure.

It's all about hitting them in the wallet. There is no conscience beyond the bottom line.

If anyone really cared about hearing anything intelligent, Joseph Sobran would be on somewhere 3 hours a day.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho

I raise one up to the memory of the late Robert Novak. A true class act in journalism.

Not fair ... I'm not going to speak ill of the dead on the day of their death.

And as far as the msm being a sideshow for the last ten years I couldn't agree with you more.

Hence the high fox news ratings.

Like I said, the Jerry Springer effect.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It should be noted that theses advertisers have not pulled their ads from FNC. They just don't want their ads broadcast during his 5PM show. FOX isn't hurt at all.

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by jibeho
Fox News and Beck's high ratings speak for themselves. They consistently beat out all other cable news outlets.

Well of course they do.

Hard to get ratings if you're just reporting the news.

Its called the Jerry Springer effect.

That might be relevant if Beck were a news reporter. He is not.

Want Jerry Springer poltics? Watch MSNBC.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Generally I've found that false accusations cause very little to no impact on me personally and on organizations as a whole. Of course Beck's accusations seem to be mostly honest, perhaps lacking in depth, ie he intentionally doesn't go far enough down the rabbit hole, but honest in so far as he goes. Since the PTB are having a hard time refuting his claims and people are listening I think Glenn's got a good thing going. If he's smart he'll tell his millions of listeners about this and they can boycott these organizations. Of course I boycott them already but it's possible these companies have shot themselves in the foot and shown their allegiance to the NWO outright. I'm not arguing Beck's allegiance to the NWO as well, he does some things which are fishy to me, but overall I like his show. It's entertaining and he can get a point across without making me want to shoot myself or someone else most of the time due to the horrific nature of the wrongs being perpetrated by our current government.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

How about I just watch Jerry and cut out the middle man.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Cannot stand the horrible slime, shame we couldn't do the same to that slimeball alex jones.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

Originally posted by jsobecky

How about I just watch Jerry and cut out the middle man.

You mean you don't already? I thought that he, Stewart and Maher were your preferred sources of news...???

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDesolate
If anyone really cared about hearing anything intelligent, Joseph Sobran would be on somewhere 3 hours a day.

I decided to check Wikipedia for info on Sobran, and found this:

One such comment was that the New York Times "really ought to change its name to Holocaust Update."

I just donno, really...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Ooo I love Jon ... Bill not so much, he takes himself too seriously and fancies himself a pundit. Plus he tries to be funny whereas as Stewart just presses play.

Jon basically takes on all the idiots at the three msm channels.

I relate to the guy, he's more about exposing the jackassery than caring about who the jackass is.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be surprised if his recent pwnage of Glen had something to do with him losing sponsors.

[edit on 18 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
When corporations stand against someone it makes that person in my mind gain great creditability. To bad our system works off corruption, under the guise of compassion though. Fox may attempt to get rid of him because the dollar is king and the "truth is treason in the empire of lies." -Ron Paul

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I have actually been missing the likes of Morton Downey Jr. and Wally George lately.

Here is a Morton Classic. Not sure which network would employ him nowadays based on these comments.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
One of the groups behind driving advertisers away from Beck is called "Color of change"

Here's their website:
www.colorofchange.org...

Fox's Glenn Beck recently said President Obama is "a racist" and has a "deep-seated hatred for white people." Beck is on a campaign to convince the American public that President Obama's agenda is about serving the needs of Black communities at White people's expense. It's repulsive, divisive and shouldn't be on the air.
Join us in calling on Beck's advertisers to stop sponsoring his show.

While their site claims he's "inactive" but one of the founders of this group is Van Jones who Obama appointed as his "green czar" and this guy is dangerous with his ideas and the goals of Obama that he's trying to advance. See this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

for more information on Van Jones. There's no doubt in my mind that this campaign to get advertisers away from Beck is a coordinated effort with ties to the White House.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Sometimes Glenn Beck is dead on accurate and really nails it.
Othertimes he's seriously just a buffoon. He's kinda hit or miss ...

Companies have a right to advertise with who ever they wish, but I don't remember seeing advertising from those companies on his show in the past. They might have. I just don't recall seeing it.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

I agree with all sides of this issue. It is their right to pull their advertising. Cool. Other firms will jump on the show because the ratings are fantistic.

Beck is hitting the administration hard and clearly they don't like it (perhaps that is putting a bit lightly). I think he is especially effective with his chalk board deals.

That being said, I have found his show to be less and less appealing. He seems to be getting increasingly high on himself and his physical mannerisms are beginning to really bug me. I'd much rather listen to him on the radio than watch his show. I also think that he is far more of an actor (manufactured crying, etc) than a serious host. I don't think he effectively interviews and does not get credible folks of alternative views to interview. In short, he is no O'Reilly. I actually don't think he is as good as Geraldo.

I do, however think that some of his material is effectively showing some of the corruption and the spider web of influences that are alive and well in Washington today (they have been alive and well in Washington for a long time).

Finally, I think he is on a slippery slope. He reminds me of Pat Buchannan, who in the 80's I really liked. Buchannan began, IMO to slide down the road of anti-semitism over the course of 3-4 years. He used to be a regular contributor to the National Review and William F. Buckley fired him for his anti-semitic diatribes. Buckley also fired Joseph Sobran a few years earlier for the same reasons.

Beck does not be able to discuss an issue any longer without using the words White, Black and Minority. I do think he is on the road where he will cross a line and not be able to come back. I am a supporter of much of what he says and apparently believes in, I am also getting increasingly uncomfortable watching his show. If I was an advertiser of his, I would pull my adds off his show as well.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Companies have a right to advertise with who ever they wish,

Yep, this is really all that it comes down to.

The advertisers aren't politically motivated, they are financially motivated. Whether that motivation is due to political pressure is up to debate, but in the long run it is about the companies' bottom lines.

Remember the backlash Kanye got for saying 'Bush doesn't care about black people'? Remember what happened to the Dixie Chicks for voicing their opinions? It works both ways.

Granted, these examples are not political pundits such as Beck would be considered, but the general truth remains: if you go out of your way to make a politically motivated statement, you risk alienating and even infuriating a large group of people. When you do that, advertisers might become a little more weary to associate their 'good name' with yours.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Meh cnn, fox, msnbc, are all unwatchable in my opinion.

I sometimes think folk of a more conservative persuasion do themselves a disfavor by raggin' on msnbc ... Are they even a network?

I honestly believe that 80% of their ratings come from folk who are looking to pick on them, cause no one else is watching them that's for sure.

[edit on 18 Aug 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I feel everyone should be able to say what they feel in any medium they like. This argument has brought up some interesting stuff about freedom of speech and corporate power etc...

But for it to centre around this guy is frankly bizzare.

The guy is either insane or he thinks his audience is comprised of idiots. Same with that O'Rielly guy.

Or maybe them and their followers are going through the male menopause.

I would say he is a shill but I havent really looked into it.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I could not have said it better.

There are advertisers lined up at the door to write checks.

It's all in the numbers.................don't kid yourselves on your high horse.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Advertising is the lifeblood of the media. Without it Glenn Beck or Fox or any of the other news shows or networks wouldn't be on the air.

Advertisers have a tremendous amount of power concerning what is broadcast or not. If they feel that a certain program or personality is losing them customers they have the option of pulling their ads anytime they want to. That's capitalism.

Evidently the advertisers have decided that they have lot of customers among Fox viewers so they're not going to pull the plug on the network, just Beck.

I think Beck's statement was inflammatory, irresponsible and potentially dangerous. It's a serious charge to say that the president of the United States hates the majority of the people in this country. There are whackos out there who are already plotting to kill him, remarks like that can set one of them off like a time-bomb. It's like shouting "fire" in a crowded theatre (something that is against the law by the way).

I personally am offended and would probably boycott businesses who supported this unsupportable charge against the president. It's just one more way to try to stir up hatred against him.

Nobody accused Bush of hating white people or Arabs. There were certainly white people that he didn't like. I guess because he's white?

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by j2000

There are advertisers lined up at the door to write checks.

Oh that is for sure, if peeps are watching pimps will be pimpin'.

Though it does beg the question ...

If the walmart is embarrassed of sponsoring you, where do you go from there.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join