It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart, CVS, Best Buy Ditch Glenn Beck (Plus Five More Companies)

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I have never in my life time seen an administration and its backers that were so oppressive and angry with the opposition or any dissenting voice.

Then I suppose you weren't around during the Bush era.

Please explain to me how you feel the administration had anything to do with the advertiser's pulling ads due to racist comments.

It is confirmed (BY YOUR SOURCE) the cofounder Van Jones had severed ties in 2007.

The other co-founder of Color of Change, James Rucker, confirmed to Newsmax that Jones' formal association with Color Of Change ended in December 2007.

Newmax Source

At last count, approx. 20 National advertisers who although still advertise on FOX NEWS NETWORK, have chosen NOT to be associated with a racist and have their good name tarnished by the rantings of a mad man.

Yeah, that's why Glenn Beck has had Reverend Al Sharpton on his show many times and has had very formal and civil conversations with him.

That's why he had Chris Gardner on his show (the guy played by Will Smith in "The Persuit of Happiness") repeated times.

That's why he was constantly preaching about releasing agents Ignacio Ramos and Jose Compean from prison simply for doing their jobs as border patrol agents.

That's a real racist thing to do I guess! Give me a break man! It's like a double standard for black and white people! If a black person calls a white man "racist", it's okay but if a white man calls a black man "racist" then the white man must be the racist one? Is there such thing as a black racist? Because it seems like if you call a black racist out, you must be the racist one for thinking such a thing! I'm sick and tired of America's "political correctness" and sensitivity to comments by people like Beck.

Why is it we still have a civil rights movement and group? All races in America are equally free to pursue their wildest dreams. This is why I like the story of Chris Gardner and his endless pursuit for happiness after losing his wife, home, job, and money. He had to live day by day with his son wondering where the next meal would come from, sleeping in subway bathrooms for the night, standing in line at homeless shelters, all while taking an internship at a law firm. He succeeded and is now a very wealthy man and has a movie about him out with Will Smith starring in "The Pursuit of Happiness." Yes, I know many of you already know about this movie that has been out for a couple of years now, but it is a great success story and Glenn Beck speaks highly of Chris. Not words from a racist if you ask me.

I find groups like the NAACP and other civil rights groups today to be racist. How about "all-black" colleges or the "United Negro College"? To me it's being racist because we all know having "National Association For The Advancement Of White People (NAAWP)" or the "United White College" would be completely racist. Or how about a "Anglo-american History Month"? Even Morgan Freeman (an actor I deeply respect) says he disapproves of the celebration of "African-American History Month" and used the example of Jews not having a Jewish History Month.... you know, since millions of them died by the hands of Nazis?

Once again, I hate double-standards and political correctness in this country. It's one reason why our country is being flushed down the toilet. I bet my comments will be looked at as racist and whoever thinks that, I wish those people to go back to school and learn about oppression of other peoples beyond the African Americans. How many of them are still holding grudges for what happened to their ancestors? Do Japanese Americans hold grudges for the mistreatment of their family members during WWII? You don't hear much about that do you?

I do agree it was wrong of our country to treat African-Americans the way they did back in the 60s... and obviously started from slavery at the birth of our nation. My point is, it's done and over and this country is beyond personal slavery. Now the government enslaves certain classes of people, so I say let's band together to stop "big brother". Beck is one of the voices against "big brother" and I say we embrace it and stop wineing about racism.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

While I, for one, respect your personal opinion and poignant portrayal regarding your interpretation of the state of civil rights in America today, I'll stick with the topic of this thread.

Attack on Obama riles Beck's advertisers

NEW YORK — Glenn Beck returns to Fox News Channel after a vacation on Monday with fewer companies willing to advertise on his show than when he left, part of the fallout from calling President Barack Obama a racist.

A total of 33 Fox advertisers, including Walmart, CVS Caremark, Clorox and Sprint, directed that their commercials not air on Beck's show

They have a toxic asset ... They can either clean it up or get rid of it.

Source

While in fairness, I see an overall trend among advertisers in general to shy away from extremists on BOTH the far left and right and stick to middle-of-the-road programming.

However, this episode CLEARLY DEMONSTRATES what happens to those who perceivably cross-the-line.

Granted most advertisers have simply shifted their spots elsewhere on FNC so they will
undoubtedly not be affected. Nonetheless, a clear message has been sent by a huge portion of independent American corporations who have chosen to establish the decency standards that the host network has failed to do.

IMO, Beck experienced a catastrophic 'brain to mouth malfunction.'

Oh well I heard there's a new line of improved Snugees featuring leopard and zebra prints that need a slot.

[edit on 24-8-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I get a very strange feeling that the ground work is already being laid for excusing the failures of this president. His failures will be blamed on his race and a nation that refused to accept him. The embers of a new race war are being stoked.

Just look at the recent comments made by NY Governor Paterson.

The state's first black governor yesterday blamed his political woes -- and those of President Obama -- on a white-dominated media that he accused of taking part in an "orchestrated" attack campaign.

Paterson thinks everyone is out to get him and also Obama.

"The next victim on the list -- and you see it coming -- is President Barack Obama, who did nothing more than try to reform a health-care system . . . only because he's trying to make change," Paterson said.

God forbid Paterson or Obama be held accountable for their inadequacies as elected officials. Got to blame anybody but themselves. Just like Obama is doing with his failing Health Care plans.

www.nypost.com...

[edit on 24-8-2009 by jibeho]

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

Umm people can pull support of your show at anytime, well unless they're not under contract well that is to say that beck didn't violate the contract. Either way Beck is very tiresome and an absolute baffoon, he talks as if he knows not as if he wonders and that is the biggest flaw in his delivery. That and he's begiining to look quite insane: one way to tell someone is insane is that when they are looking at you, the white above and below their pupil is visible.

blogs.e-rockford.com...
www.youtube.com...

The video is the killer, this guy actually thinks he's making sense... what a joke.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Originally posted by jibeho
I get a very strange feeling...

It must be a pang of nauseousness from either being off topic or exhibiting conjecture.

How is THIS story from (NYPost) LOL germane to the discussion of Glenn Beck losing advertisers?

Sorry folks, but you can't silence the people any longer. Beck got their attention and the people are running with it.

A little hypocritcal to defend Beck's "right" to suggest racism and then attack someone else for the same sentiment don't you think?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinda kurious
reply to post by jibeho

I get a very strange feeling...

It must be a pang of nauseousness from either being off topic or exhibiting conjecture.

How is THIS story from (NYPost) LOL germane to the discussion of Glenn Beck losing advertisers?

Sorry folks, but you can't silence the people any longer. Beck got their attention and the people are running with it.

A little hypocritcal to defend Beck's "right" to suggest racism and then attack someone else for the same sentiment don't you think?

[edit on 24-8-2009 by kinda kurious] [/quote
Beck's statements were based on Obama's own words.

Obama spent 20 years listening to the rants of the illustrious Rev. Wright as he spewed is anti white rhetoric towards his congregation. Furthermore,
Obama wrote of his vast array of experiences with "white folks" in both of his contrived auto biographies. From "Dreams of My Father" he gives us this little nugget ” I FOUND A SOLACE IN NURSING A PERVASISVE SENSE OF GRIEVANCE AND ANIMOSITY AGAINST MY MOTHER’S RACE”

Another gem from "Dreams..."
“There were enough of us on campus to constitute a tribe, and when it came to hanging out many of us chose to function like a tribe, staying close together, traveling in packs, It remained necessary to prove which side you were on,to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names”

And again from "Dreams.." “I ceased to advertise my mother’s race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites”

As for the Post article... It is germane to the overall topic concerning race. He his claiming that the White media is out to get him and is also out to get Obama. His claims are unfounded and Obama's team lashed out at his comments.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I don't think Glenn Beck is a racist anymore than I think the President is a racist. They are probably both nice guys, Glenn is somewhat of a shock jock, I'm not saying he doesn't report some truths...but it helps his ratings to say things outrageous....same with Keith Olbermann, it's well documented that when he talks about O'Reilly his ratings go up. Obama is a politician, Beck is a talking head...that's all there is to this story. Beck's ratings are too high for Fox to drop him and I think it's already been disprove that most of these advertisers did not drop Beck...because they never advertised in his slot to begin with; I think Wal-Mart was the only one who actually withdrew ads. I'm sure his advertisers will come back, once it blows over and/or Obama's numbers slip further.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

Thanks for the list. I'll be sure to do my business with companies other than the ones who are trying to silence free speech.

It's alright for that a$$clown in the WH to call racism when his professor buddy acts like a fool with the police, but no one can call it on him? Bull F'n S!!!!!

I'm not buying anything from General Electric, either. GE- "Graft for Elections"

Eisenhower told us all to beware the military/industrial complex. Did you think he was joking????????

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

Nonetheless, a clear message has been sent by a huge portion of independent American corporations who have chosen to establish the decency standards that the host network has failed to do.

Haha!

Yeah, those same corporations that have shifted 100's of thousands of jobs overseas for cheap labor.

Decency standards my ass. It's about profits only.

But go ahead, keep dreaming that it's decency standards.

I hope you go stand by Wal-mart in their support of the American worker and small business.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
************* UPDATE ****************

Associated Press / Yahoo Home page. Non partisan enough?

Attack on Obama riles Beck's advertisers

The Clorox Co., a former Beck advertiser, now says that "we do not want to be associated with inflammatory speech used by either liberal or conservative talk show hosts."

One company, CVS Caremark, said it advertises on Fox but hadn't said anything about Beck. Now it has told its advertising agency to inform Fox that it wanted no commercials on Beck. "We support vigorous debate, especially around policy issues that affect millions of Americans, but we expect it to be informed, inclusive and respectful," said spokeswoman Carolyn Castel.

"This is a good illustration of that conundrum," said Rich Hallabran, spokesman for UPS Stores, which he said has temporarily halted buying ads on Fox News Channel as a whole.

Source

Try as you all might to derail this topic, I choose to focus on OP.

33 Advertisers and counting.....................Buh-bye

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

It's not going to matter. Someone will fill the spots....and with a record of 2.4 million viewers per day last week....the carryover into the whole night more than makes up for it.

He also has Goldline and other gold sellers to fill up slots. He won't be taken off the air.

I thought his racists comments were ignorant as well....but advertisers dropping him won't matter.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

David,
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4ea38d1ac1c1.jpg[/atsimg]

I invite you to provide some basis / sources for your post or otherwise clarify it as “opinion”.

Just the facts……

Advertisers deserting Fox News' Glenn Beck

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- In what is shaping up to be one of the more effective boycott campaigns in years, advertisers are abandoning the "Glenn Beck" show on Fox News following the host's incendiary comments that President Barack Obama is a "racist" and has a "deep-seated hatred for white people."

Because of the way ad time is often bought on cable -- in bulk and with an eye toward demographics and so-called day parts -- some of the targeted companies' ads may well have ended up on the program by mistake and in violation of their own standards. If so, it was an error that some advertisers vowed not to repeat.

Rucker added that he "absolutely expects" other advertisers to follow suit and drop out because the wave of defections "raises the stakes for them to stick around."

Fox News is a unit of News Corp….which also owns MarketWatch, the publisher of this report.

www.marketwatch.com...

I understand media buying, ratings, reach, demographics and ADI and above all ROI.

If you all seem to think Rupert would keep this windbag around if he fails to churn the numbers you are sadly mistaken. Advertisers fuel both network and cable TV.

@ jibeho, I suggest you start a book review thread. Your posts seem misplaced in this one.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

You seem bitter. Why the hate? I was just providing a little back story regarding Beck's comments about Obama's views and statements .

Why not police your own thread on the topic?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Sounds like another orchestrated attempt to gain Beck street cred. with the fed-up masses, an actually ingenious one at that. This doesn't hurt Beck, it helps him.

Peace

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Sounds like another orchestrated attempt to gain Beck street cred. with the fed-up masses, an actually ingenious one at that. This doesn't hurt Beck, it helps him.

I don't agree.

This could backfire bigtime.

Two words... New Coke, or better yet Don Imus.

@jibeho, I'm chill dude. No hate. Haven't I been polite and proper?
Actually, I love seeing the Beck devotees squirm.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

No squirming on my end. If any presidential candidate other than Obama had made those statements about another race in an autobiography they would have been dead in the water with nothing but flotsam left behind. Yet, Obama is given a free pass.

Beck was just pointing out the obvious. Obama's believers refuse to see the light and the truth behind their beloved leader.

Beck isn't going anywhere. Advertisers may come and go. TBTS. Their loss. Color of Change pushed the issue to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   

The issue of racism has everything to do with the OP because that is the main cause of Beck's advertisers leaving his show. My last post simply explained my feelings towards the political correctness, double-standards, and sensitivity of this country. The powers that be want division between the American people and the liberal/conservative, left/right, democrat/republican division in this country is orchistrated by our government. When was the last time a third-party candidate was elected president? Advertisers are payed by our government to "boycott" or "lash out" against certain shows or networks. As many others say, Beck will not lose his show and will gain new advertisers. My last post was in reference to you calling Beck a racist when clearly, if you watch his show enough, you will find him to be very non-racist.

ColorofChange.org quickly targeted companies whose ads had appeared during Beck's show, telling them what he had said and seeking a commitment to drop him. The goal is to make Beck a liability, said James Rucker, the organization's executive director.

This is all about Color of Change's efforts to silence a man with an opinion. This is why I posted what I posted last. Civil rights movements that try and ruin people for saying "racist" to a black man when clearly this organization is quick to call a white man "racist" for stupid reasons. I think there should be a campaign against "color of change" to show them they can't silence free speech and to try and limit that free speech from being heard by criticizing the advertisers of the shows. Here's how racist Beck really is.....

Even after a heated discussion on racism and religion Glenn extended his hand to Al Sharpton. Sharpton didn't extend his hand to Beck. Beck is not racist. He simply called our president a racist. I'm sure there wouldn't be a backlash if he was to call Bush a racist. Think about that for a minute.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Locoman8

Bingo! Great post. Your earlier post motivated me to offer my input regarding Obama's own words from his book and subsequent statement from Beck.

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Locoman8
Advertisers are payed by our government to "boycott" or "lash out" against certain shows or networks.

I do not understand this statement.
It makes zero sense.

As the balance of your post was nothing more than a Beck lovefest I cannot muster a logical rebuttal.

In all honesty, time will tell whether the boycott was successful or not.
So we'll have to await the outcome.

It is ironic how the Extreme Right can throw Tea Parties and disrupt Town Hall meetings and it is considered worthy protest, but the boycott against racist remarks are deemed unwarranted. Double-standard?

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Comments on racist remarks??? Are you serious? Beck didn't call Obama the "n" word or "thug" or anything like that. He called Obama a racist and it goes back to the comments Obama made about his buddy being arrested and the black extremist he has as a green czar. Do you think Bush would have survived putting a neo-nazi as his "green czar" or any other adviser? I'm not extreme right. I'm middle right. I'm what a majority of middle-america is. There were fed-up democrats at those tea parties. There were fed up PEOPLE at the tea parties. Are you saying it's un-american to speak out against our corrupt government? I felt just as strongly against Bush as I do Obama. I didn't like Bush's war-mongering, and I don't like Obama's socializing of companies and health care. Sue me if you think I'm extreme right!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join