It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video gamers 'older than thought'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by metamagic
Kind of a sad comment on the state of our technological society. I wonder if they also asked about their frequency of their sexual activity -- probably negligible. With other people that is.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by metamagic]

You know that people that have to make an outrageous statement on others, especially others that they dont know, are usually the ones hiding an underlying problem.

Say hello to Mrs Palmer for me

As you have just done. Thank you for providing your own rebuttal.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Ah, thats a beautiful set up Slayer! I mean the one below...

Hey I have the same desk in my garage but it is in a light oak color, I never thought to put the side tables up as shelves, duh, I bought mine at a yard sale for 5 dollars.

I just might bring it back in.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I just joined, though i visit this site since about a year.

To be honest, i think there is still alot of stereotyping involved, when it comes to video games or "gamers" and most of them are wrong.

What i don't get is: Why does everyone always say you get "socially isolated" while playing games? That's so far from the truth, it's not even funny. You can play Online (and that will be the future, Single Player Games will die out), you can play with friends at your home (And especially since Wii, those gatherings are more and more popular), you can go to LAN Events and meet people.
In my oppinion, especially online gaming is a great way, to meet people from other countries.

And to be honest, if i think about "socially isolated" people, i think more about bookworms or people who go to museums and stuff. Because honestly: You can only read a Book alone and every time i went to museums (Munich has a lot of them, they're great) i never talked to anyone there and nobody talked to me about the stuff there.
And i also think that video games are a great way to get creative. Think about all those gamers who started to produce own games or think about all those people who write fanfics about video games or create pictures (Deviantart is a great source for it)

As for me: I'm 24, i play for 19 years, i not only play, but also collect games as a hobby, i write reviews about games and i study game development at the moment. My other hobbies are: Playing electric guitar, movies, music, playing golf, go to sport events, go to museums and i also read books (I like Edgar Allan Poe, David Gemmell and George R.R. Martin). In the summer i spend also most of the time in my swimming pool or we got out with friends to some nice beer garden (as you propably may know, that's one of the greatest things in munich
)
So: I play, i'm addicted (honestly), but i also can stop when i want to. I'm not overweight and i guess i rather look good, thinking about all those compliments i get from guys.

I don't doubt that there are a lot of people, who get "lost" in games. But i think they have other problems and could also get addicted to books, movies, chocolate, alcohol or any other stuff and that would be equally bad.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Kind of a sad comment on the state of our technological society. I wonder if they also asked about their frequency of their sexual activity -- probably negligible. With other people that is.

Well, when the world is so quick to judge you based on your own personal interests, and talk down to you, and tell you that you are a fat old loser who plays video games all day in a basement and will die a virgin-

I mean do you think this helps them be more social?

Do you think it helps stimulate discussion somehow?

I doubt you will be luring any basement dwellers out with your insulting study.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Please quote me statements in which I have stereotyped you. Since I didn't make any such statements, I'm wondering why you are so concerned with being stereotyped. Methinks thou doest protest too much.

I was referring of course to your opening post in which YOU said: "Kind of a sad comment on the state of our technological society. I wonder if they also asked about their frequency of their sexual activity -- probably negligible. With other people that is."

That my friend is a stereotype.

MY info? Sorry the it's the CDC's info.

Yes your info that YOU posted.

And if it is wrong, then please back up that statement with some sort of facts. And one anecdotal case does not invalidate a statistical trend.

Hmm well without going out and doing my own research, i cannot provide you with hard facts, although common sense does prevail. I guess you'll be happier sticking to stereotypes though. Easier on the imagination.

I can provide you with plenty more anecdotes about friends who are aged between 20-35 / male / love games and suprisingly have children and wives and lives and jobs. That is fact enough for me.

Please Mr-lizard, you have to do better than that.

Well unless i post pictures of my girlfriends - then there's nothing more i can provide. Guess you ain't that lucky.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I play MMORPGs off and on. When I'm into it I'm into it, when I'm not I'm not. When I don't have a subscription to something I'm either reading or dream journaling, internet, my own thing. I'm not really into society and social things. I enjoy partying and having fun yes, but social gatherings are not about fun are they. People like to pretend they are, but they aren't really. And I am still amazed at the amount of married men that play MMORPGs, everytime one say's "AFK wife needs me," still kinda surprises me. Most people just want to have EVERYTHING, and if MMORPG falls into something they want, they will try to juggle it with everything else. The only thing MMORPGers average on is probably sleep deprivation, which would not help in any of the categories on the survey lol.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Mindmelding

MM,

Sorry Mindmelding - that was actually directed at Metamagic - as always I value your insight and know well that you are not out here trolling for trouble...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

What I find disheartening about most of the defensive (and occasionally hostile) replies is that they show a lack of understanding of the original post.

Contrary to many of the replies, I do not have a stereotype of a gamer -- quite frankly I never really think about them any more than I think about compulsive knitters. The only stereotype mentioned is in the article which states that the study goes against the prevailing stereotype.

edit on 18-8-2009 by metamagic] (Bloody spleling erorrs!

Don't try and sugar coat what you said and don't even begin to try and play the victim of misunderstanding. Here is what you said. This is your OP minus the article exactly as you typed it.

"Kind of a sad comment on the state of our technological society. I wonder if they also asked about their frequency of their sexual activity -- probably negligible. With other people that is. "

Now why would you quesstion theri sexaul conquests with other people? Surely it wasn't meant as a stereotype that they can't get laid by members of the same species on your part, as you said you do not have a stereotytpe of gamers. So it must be a scientific question. Could you pull out your butt what purpose the scientific reason you would ask this ?

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by metamagic

Metamagic,

Geez man - if you can't own up to the cheap shot you took in your OP then I sure as heck ain't gonna be able to convince you...

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by metamagic I think you also have to remember that video games are not the cause but probably a symptom of something else -- older, socially isolated and unhealthy men seem to be retreating into video games which is probably not going to help them address the issues that got them there. [edit on 18-8-2009 by metamagic]

No offense but, this is one of the most ridiculous posts I've read in a while. To assume that video games are of themselves a "symptom of something else" seems quite presumptuous. I've known a lot of gamers in my time and while some fit the classic stereotype of the obsessed basement gamer, the vast majority of them are not. I love video games myself and own three systems. Oh, and I'm a female in my 20's and I love to run and have run 12 half marathons. How's that for stereotyping the "typical gamer." I wonder what video gaming is a "symptom" of for me. Hmm..... This post is an insult to the gaming community. Many gamers that I know are very intelligent people who are far from "socially isolated, unhealthy". Even if some 35 year old works at McDonald's and then goes home and spends the rest of his time gaming, who CARES, REALLY?? Is this person's activity hurting the rest of us? If this makes them happy, what's the biggie? Not hurting me or you, therefore we have no right to sit here making judgement calls on these people.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Not much to add beyond..

The CDC did a study. Inside the borders of a nation acknowledged to have one of the worst obesity problems and a lousy health care system.

Wow, am I shocked at the results. (CDC is a US agency for those that don't know).

Yes, I'm a 44 year old gamer..sadly (I don't fit the stereotype) however I am a reasonably successful, business owning, happily married (at the second try..divorce sucks..but that's a whole different story) father of three.

Been a devoted gamer since..well hell..as long as I can remember.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Funnily enough I hadnt had this in ages but the other day I was on a thread here and two guys called me out on mentioning video games, perhaps they had a point that the post wasnt relevant to the situation (I disagree) but it seemed to me they were just incredulous and werent able to compute that games are an important medium. Like it was a programmed response to think "video games? In a conversation thats not directly concearning video games? Damn pot smokin long hairs!"

Well the times they are a changin. Games offer many advantages in storytelling, they improve hand eye co-ordination (if I ever need a surgeon I wouldant mind a Metal Slug expert), increase knowledge of computers, drive technology. I had a pretty reasonable grasp of the whole conspiracy of everything by age 14 thanks to computer games, Deus Ex laid it out for all to see and others after it (check out the content in Assasins Creed). They are beautiful, thought provoking and sometimes emotional at the top end. Therefore they are equally important as literature or cinema and they progress at an alarming weight.

I see they fall into the geek catagory of hobbies. The alternative apparently being going out and getting pissed and having unhealthy relationships as a going concearn? Nothings wrong with that unless you do it every single weekend. Its like everything, its good in moderation.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrunner
I love video games myself and own three systems. Oh, and I'm a female in my 20's and I love to run and have run 12 half marathons. How's that for stereotyping the "typical gamer." I wonder what video gaming is a "symptom" of for me.

So, you are saying that you are the Mythical White Unicorn that every gamer has been searching for all of their lives?

We need a picture to prove it...otherwise you're just another one of those obese, depressed 35 year old gamers living in Grandma's basement and pretending to be a female.

(JJK by the way. You don't need to prove it.)

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I am a gamer, i Cycle 30 kms daily, lift over 400lbs over my head, over 6'4 and over 240 lbs. solid.

One thing i learned from gaming is memory and hand eye coordination is astounding. I can track 20 vehicles and people at one glance. O ahve reflexes that should be experimented on and I play games to keep me home so girls dont jump all over me because I am so handsome.

Cheers to Geekdom. Geek is in anyways. Us hairy chested alpha-men are becoming rare.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainAmerica2012
I am a gamer, i Cycle 30 kms daily, lift over 400lbs over my head, over 6'4 and over 240 lbs. solid.

One thing i learned from gaming is memory and hand eye coordination is astounding. I can track 20 vehicles and people at one glance. O ahve reflexes that should be experimented on and I play games to keep me home so girls dont jump all over me because I am so handsome.

Cheers to Geekdom. Geek is in anyways. Us hairy chested alpha-men are becoming rare.

LOL

Me too!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
forums.worldofwarcraft.com...

Same thing talked about here.. I am only showing this because well... its world of warcrafts own site. plus highest consintration of gamers..

Anyway have a look..

I am 35 and play wow for downtime and away from life time. My kid also plays and hope to have my younger one play in a yr or 2.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

"Wizards of the coast holds patent on all possible collectible card game mechanics, how are we ever allowed to create a new card game then?? "

how did this end up?
no not into WOW,, although did see it get banned, from the floor,,,,
"no more "W.O.W" talk ",, will be tolerated, during working hours"

of course it was a jk by admin. lol,, but man was it ever funny too watch,,,

then an e-mail was set,,
anyways they were good times.

ohh and can someone tell me what the big deal was about PHAGE

edit on 4-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Video gamers 'older than thought'
The average age of an adult video game player is 35 - higher than previously thought, a US study suggests. A team from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also found gamers were less healthy, fatter, and more depressed than non-gamers.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Your comment was pathetic. You clearly know nothing.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
This is why i never got into,, w.o.w,,

People are not computers,,

Gamer Mentality Chart (Large)

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bb39aa2ee95f.jpg[/atsimg]

"Too defeat the Phage Scourge once touched,,,
use the following,, legality.

(make a card,,or what ever the wow guys do, to introduce into the game.Sorry i'm not a wow person.)

Phage Strenght,,,,Bronze Guards,,Bronze is an alloy,,(of copper and tin.)

so "chemical" composition,, or "magic" won't work.

weakness,,

"other metals may be added" to Bronze.

made primarily of copper and tin.

It may contain as much as 25 percent tin.
Phosphorus,
lead,
zinc,

and other metals may be added,

for special purposes.

other metals may be added for special purposes.

Intoduce a "metal" into the game,

which crumbles,,renders bronze guards,,useless

,,, "ahhhhh" 'said the W.O.W Cult.'

a clue on how to defeat the Phage,,once touched,,too late.

For example,

phosphorus (fire)
hardens
strengthens

the bronze guards.

Hope the vetern w.o.w guys,, know what i mean

OR/

"Wizards of the coast holds patent on all possible collectible card game mechanics, how are we ever allowed to create a new card game then?? "
is it too late?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join