It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video gamers 'older than thought'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Video gamers 'older than thought'
The average age of an adult video game player is 35 - higher than previously thought, a US study suggests. A team from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) also found gamers were less healthy, fatter, and more depressed than non-gamers.
news.bbc.co.uk...

Kind of a sad comment on the state of our technological society. I wonder if they also asked about their frequency of their sexual activity -- probably negligible. With other people that is.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by metamagic]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by metamagic

Kind of a sad comment on the state of our technological society. I wonder if they also asked about their frequency of their sexual activity -- probably negligible. With other people that is.

Holy Stereotyping, Batman!

While a lot of gamers aren't doing too well on the health-o-meter, you could say the same for smokers, or heck, if you want to keep down the stereotype road, Americans. Maintaining a fine balance between work and pleasure is key! Some are addicted to video games (I used to be addicted to WoW), some are addicted to other things. Either way, its not healthy. I have yet to see someone who is in 'perfect' health nowadays anyway. And your comment about gamers and their sexual activity has me in stitches. Gamers get some, amazingly. Hooray for thinking gamers are fat lazy nerds who live in their parent's basement!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chiiru

Holy Stereotyping, Batman!

While a lot of gamers aren't doing too well on the health-o-meter, you could say the same for smokers, or heck, if you want to keep down the stereotype road, Americans. Maintaining a fine balance between work and pleasure is key! Some are addicted to video games (I used to be addicted to WoW), some are addicted to other things. Either way, its not healthy. I have yet to see someone who is in 'perfect' health nowadays anyway. And your comment about gamers and their sexual activity has me in stitches. Gamers get some, amazingly. Hooray for thinking gamers are fat lazy nerds who live in their parent's basement!

I think that the study shows that the part of the stereotype that is wrong is that they live in their parent's basement -- this seems to suggest that it is probably their own basement.

Remember my friend, we are taking about averages here not a statement about ALL gamers, just like because we can say that Dentists have the highest rate of suicide among professions does not mean that all Dentists are going to do them selves in.

I think you also have to remember that video games are not the cause but probably a symptom of something else -- older, socially isolated and unhealthy men seem to be retreating into video games which is probably not going to help them address the issues that got them there.

Obviously you seem to be someone who has avoided that trap so ... well done!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by metamagic

Of the 20 or thirty people which I know personally, not ONE of them fits the sterotype.

Socially isolated? Nope.
Unhealthy? Nope.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Video games are an addiction. They should be seen as digital crack. Parents should be responsible and supervise their children's use of games, because while they do stimulate the brain and allow for some development and multiplayer games also allow interaction, there are many negatives too, and the gains for time spent ratio is not that good. I was a gamer once, I know what I speak of.

The 35 year olds are the guys that grew up with the technology, got hooked and never quite pulled themselves out. Most are more or less stable but a lot of them are mentally ill by now, hopelessly addicted, playing out of compulsion rather than actual pleasure. Games like World of Warcraft and other "social" sandbox type games are the worse offenders, as because they are subscription based they are designed as a time sink, eating up people's lives, to the detriment of the real world.

I was addicted once, pulled myself out of it. I still game though, enjoy the odd sim or strategy game, but I force myself to pay attention to the real world and not to the virtual toy worlds being thrown at us. Go to the stores, it's a blitzkrieg and I'm sure there's an element of NWO population control there, tieing people into a digital entertainment matrix, pulling them out of their natural realities.

And yes, non gamers get laid more, I garantee it

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Lets see I'm 30 and I play video games. I am in shape, have a job, have a wife, will be having a kid, having a kid means I have sex, I have pets, I cook good healthy dinners and I don't smoke or drink.

[snip]

The last survey was from 2002, that is 7 years ago. So the age group they tested then would be about 35 now, so of course the average age went up. Wait 7 more years and I bet the average age will be 42.

Mod Edit - removed remark -

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I'm in my twenties, a video game player, somewhat socially isolated and a little depressed at times. While I enjoy video games I wouldn't say I was addicted and I've never let them take dominance over other parts of my life except while programming my own games, my grades remained strong and so did my relationships. My social isolation comes from living in the middle of nowhere, working nights and that most of my friends are at university right now while I decided to make some money while deciding how I want to further my education, I'll be heading to uni next year if all goes to plan. It's my job that depresses me at times. So I kind of fit the statistics, not quite though.

It's important to note that video games do provide a potential escape for those that are unhappy, for me I lose myself in books far more easily as the games I play are more frustrating than anything
. It's a bit like psychological addiction in that you can be psychologically addicted to many different things and many different things can be used to escape the world. It's important not to tarnish the thing used for escape because people use it to escape, it's all down to the person. You can be psychologically addicted to cleanliness but I cant see cleanliness being banned because of that.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I'm 30 and I play once in a while. I have maybe 6 hours in a week I can dedicate to playing if I have nothing else I'd rather be doing. Usually weather decides that for me.

It's funny what people default to when they hear of a particular hobby or pastime.

Granted, we all know that basement dwelling pale-skinned loser living in his parents basement well into his 20's and beyond teetering on the brink of suicide if he doesnt get some item in some MMO or something but most people are like that.

Most of us have lives, wives and careers and when it's raining or you've just ridden a century that morning and need to put your feet up for a while.

Although, I do see an alarming number of names and "tags" that are apparently on all day everyday as though they really dont do anything else. Maybe a bunch of independently wealthy paraplegics?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthereAlthough, I do see an alarming number of names and "tags" that are apparently on all day everyday as though they really dont do anything else. Maybe a bunch of independently wealthy paraplegics?

Haha back when I played a certain online space combat sim I remember that no matter what hour I logged in for a game a certain group of names were always present, kind of concerning. Perhaps they were insomniacs also.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I have a question.....

What does it matter if someone in their spare time plays a video-game, watches tv/movie/surf the net(ATS) or whatever they want?

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen about gamers. Anyone who plays knows this isn't true. I have friends lists of both young and old and though I can't account for the health or sex life of those individuals, I can say that many are married and for the most part have kids. They all work (except those in school, nope sorry don't know any drop out live in the basement types) and in some cases are very successful. ie. Game producer. Lawyer etc.

The stereotype regarding gamers is disturbing. Its like saying every star trek fan gets dressed up in pointy ears and goes to conventions. Its just not true.

I can't comment on the WoW gang. Not into that.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CuriosityStrikes

Originally posted by thisguyrighthereAlthough, I do see an alarming number of names and "tags" that are apparently on all day everyday as though they really dont do anything else. Maybe a bunch of independently wealthy paraplegics?

Haha back when I played a certain online space combat sim I remember that no matter what hour I logged in for a game a certain group of names were always present, kind of concerning. Perhaps they were insomniacs also.

yea, you always see those. I know one guy who works as little as possible and spends all his time racing. He wants to be a competitive racer I think. Though, he doesn't live at home and if he's unhealthy, it probably has a lot to do with the fact that he's a smoker.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

mm,

I am sure you are into some pastime or hobby that the majority of us here at ATS would think is a spectacular waste of time.

I don't watch reality television, smoke, drink much, or waste my time watching much sports/sports info - but I do get a little gaming on pretty much every week.

Sure I avoid the MMO's - that can become unhealthy addicitons for the undisciplined - but to label a whole medium as unecessary really shows where your own limitations lie.

It might be time to take off the blinders and Free your Mind!

[edit on 18-8-2009 by TruthMagnet]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Why would people having sex be important.

Any bloke not interested in having sex with females i applaud

Funnily enough i lost my job working for bbc, for not wanting to go with slags there.

Oh the irony lol.

[edit on 8/18/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
What I find disheartening about most of the defensive (and occasionally hostile) replies is that they show a lack of understanding of the original post.

Contrary to many of the replies, I do not have a stereotype of a gamer -- quite frankly I never really think about them any more than I think about compulsive knitters. The only stereotype mentioned is in the article which states that the study goes against the prevailing stereotype.

Switching over to your left brain, you should be able to follow this. The CDC did a study and collected data. The data showed that a higher percentage of gamers were older, overweight and more depressed. Not all gamers. Not every gamer. Not necessarily the guy you know down the street who is a gamer.

Since we are talking about trends, anecdotal evidence of a single or even multiple cases is not a refutation of a statistical trend. Of course there are healthy gamers who get laid (which does not necessarily include all the married ones). Ignoring statistical evidence on the basis of special cases is invalid generalization and a strategy for breeding yourself out of the gene pool if you apply it as a working policy in your life.

For example, if data shows (and I don't know if it does, I'm making this part up) that pit bulls are more likely to attack than other breeds, I might decide to reject that statistic since I know a pit bull and he hasn't attacked anyone. So the next time I see a pit bull, I start to pet him saying "Nice doggy" since I now no longer believe that pit bulls are dangerous because I "debunked" that. Eventually, that will probably be the story that you will be telling the doctor in the emergency room.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by metamagic] (Bloody spleling erorrs!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
OK kids...

Gather around uncle SLAYER is going to tell you a true story.

Pfft.

I was married for 17 years with my first wife, have two healthy grown children, bought and sold a couple of houses. Served my country, Work full time, Pay my taxes. Been both the social butterfly and a social out cast. Run my own Business.

I've played games ever since PONG. I even worked for a couple of PC game developers from 94 til 2003. I have seen this argument from both the Gamers and Developers side. Yes there is a certain percentage that fit the typical stereo type EXACTLY.

While the vast majority of us DO NOT!

Wheres my Gravity or Gauss Gun?

Oh Never mind, I found my trusty old BFG!

N00B!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'm 32 and used to play a lot of video games before I had my two kids. Now I don't play at all. I'm looking forward to when my kids are old enough to play games together! My priorities have changed. Now my free time is spent playing outside with them, watching the same episodes of Mickey Mouse Club House over and over and over, reading the same book a hundred times, etc.

I do have some friends who had kids and decided they still wanted to play video games with all their free time. It makes me sad but it's their decision.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthMagnet

mm,

I am sure you are into some pastime or hobby that the majority of us here at ATS would think is a spectacular waste of time.

And not just at ATS my friend.. probably in most of "normal society"

I don't watch reality television, smoke, drink much, or waste my time watching much sports/sports info - but I do get a little gaming on pretty much every week.

I see that we avoid many of the same things... I watch little or no TV at all, do not smoke or drink and generally find myself too busy to engage in actives designed to burn up leisure time. Okay, posting on ATS is a little vice.

Sure I avoid the MMO's - that can become unhealthy addictions for the undisciplined - but to label a whole medium as unecessary really shows where your own limitations lie.

What? Labelling a whole medium unnecessary? Where did I say that? And of course since the statement I never made is the basis for your conclusion (whatever you meant by it) the whole rebuttal vanishes in a puff of logic. And since I not following your lack of logic, where exactly do my limitations lie? Be specific and detailed please because I never pass up an opportunity to use constructive criticism to better myself.

It might be time to take off the blinders and Free your Mind!

Been there, done that, recommend you join me in the exercise. Love to have your company.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

lol, I gathered around you for this story! I thought we were going to dual in a Madden 10...
Anyway, I have to state this, the facts are that nearly everyone has played or still plays games. The average is nothing more than a guess-timate. One cannot measure how many people play games an dthe average of everyone, thats like trying to measure the average age of when someone stops reading books, its impossible and possibly misleading on purpose.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
What's a "gamer" anyway? Seems like an insult to some and praise to others? Is it a new term? I dont recall ever hearing it in the 80's.

Is it somebody who plays in tournaments for cash? Somebody who sits for 20 hours a day farming "gold"? Somebody who gets in an hour of Counter Strike on a Sunday?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join