It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prosecutors say man stole 130M credit card numbers.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Okey, 130 000 000 credit card numbers, that must be some kind of an Gunies Record or something.
How do you go about stealing all those CC numbers before you get caught??
Even if he just had taken 1 dollar from each account, he would have 170 million dollars. He took 40 million plus 130, so 170 in total..

Prosecutors say man stole 130M credit card numbers
WASHINGTON – Federal prosecutors on Monday charged a Miami man with the largest case of credit and debit card data theft ever in the United States, accusing the one-time government informant of swiping 130 million accounts on top of 40 million he stole previously.

Albert Gonzalez, 28, broke his own record for identity theft by hacking into retail networks, according to prosecutors, though they say his illicit computer exploits ended when he went to jail on charges stemming from an earlier case.

Gonzalez is a former informant for the U.S. Secret Service who helped the agency hunt hackers, authorities say. The agency later found out that he had also been working with criminals and feeding them information on ongoing investigations, even warning off at least one individual, according to authorities.

Gonzalez, who is already in jail awaiting trial in a hacking case, was indicted Monday in New Jersey and charged with conspiring with two other unnamed suspects to steal the private information. Prosecutors say the goal was to sell the stolen data to others.

How much of the data was sold and then used to make fraudulent charges is unclear. Investigators in such cases say it is usually impossible to quantify the impact of such thefts on account holders.

Prosecutors say Gonzalez, who is known online as "soupnazi," targeted customers of convenience store giant 7-Eleven Inc. and supermarket chain Hannaford Brothers, Co. Inc. He also targeted Heartland Payment Systems, a New Jersey-based card payment processor.

According to the indictment, Gonazalez and his two Russian coconspirators would hack into corporate computer networks and secretly place "malware," or malicious software, that would allow them backdoor access to the networks later to steal data.

Gonzalez faces up to 20 years in prison if convicted of the new charges. His lawyer did not immediately return a call for comment.

Gonzalez is awaiting trial next month in New York for allegedly helping hack the computer network of the national restaurant chain Dave and Buster's.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Come on guys, this man stole quite a bundle of Credit Cards..

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Its not the Guiness Book of World Records that should be notified.
Its my savings account.

I'm just kidding. I bet this is a setup to say that credit cards are unsafe and there needs to be a safer way to pay.

That is a ton of info, and could be used to become very wealthy. But, fortunately for all of those people, he got caught.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok
Its not the Guiness Book of World Records that should be notified.
Its my savings account.

I'm just kidding. I bet this is a setup to say that credit cards are unsafe and there needs to be a safer way to pay.

That is a ton of info, and could be used to become very wealthy. But, fortunately for all of those people, he got caught.

Yes, here comes big brother and offers you Chip in the arm, they cant steel that, until some one figure out that a bone saw will do the trick !

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This topic was posted yesterday here.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Albert gonzalez, as it turns out, used to be with the Secret Service and worked on cases such as the one he has been indicted for. Makes me wonder who the other accomplices are and their affiliations.

www.usdoj.gov...

In the official indictment, 6 other men are named...

Christopher Scott, Damon Patrick Toey, Maksym Yastremskiy, J.J., J.W., and others known and unknown to the grand jury, conspired...

Why are J.J. and J.W. initials and not full names disclosed? And wht about the other conspirators "unknown?"

Is this just a case of Rumsfeld knowing the knowns and unknowing the unknowns?

Anyway, nice find and please contribute to the other thread.

join