It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Events map?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I just started a thread in the UFO forum on a UFO stalker that I had found in another site and it gave me an idea which I am surprised nobody else has thought of.. or maybe did think of but thought it might be too much work/effort etc..

Anyway.. The idea is for an ATS event map. This map could be used to log many of the events we discuss here on ATS.

For an example, I'll post a link to the UFO stalker and to a couple of others.
UFO Stalker
Baltimore Greenmap
world wide crop circle map

So, maybe we could have something similar here on ATS. The USGS has one for Earthquakes, Mufon has one for UFO (obvioulsy for only those reported to MUFON) Crop circles get a map too!

We, on ATS could have a couple of maps.. Not just Earth events but also Moon and Mars events too. All of the images we have in threads could be linked to exact locations on the Moon and Mars

I think it could be a vast improvement on how this site operates and in the way we can all find data. There are many many things we discuss here that could be listed. Famous historical events too

Say for example an ATS member posts a thread about some sea monster spotted in a lagoon... That event could be posted on the map in the exact location. The location marker will have brief info but if you click the marker it will take you directly to the thread to read comments, reports, see photos and post a reply.

Lets say someone is trying to find the location of the face on Mars using Google Mars. Ok, they may very well be able to find it, but it might take them a while if nobody has marked it.. whereas, if we here have updated our own Mars map with all of the Mars related issues (from odd shaped rocks to Mars rover discoveries etc) then it could all be centralised and linked throughout ATS.

Basically a virtual map of ATS threads.

Diffierent icons can be used for different events.. red squares for Earthquakes, green circles for crop circles. Black triangles for UFO's, yellow stars for war zones and conflicts... Maybe even have it set up like the stalker does and have the ability to list all events or be selective and see only certain ones or newest events first from any or all categories.

We could even have any satellites of importance to be tracked.. and even any space shuttle missions... including where the ISS is right now without having to trawl through the internet..

All the info available in one place.. .on an ATS event map

The Google maps API page

What say you?

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Extralien]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Ooo, I like the idea ...

Could be like google earth add-on like "panoramio" ...

And any thread related to geographical spot can be linked to the location on the map.

Don't know how practical this stuff is to put together, but it is a great idea.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

These pages will give us a better idea as to how difficult it would be..
Looking at it, i think even I could work it out.. it's seems very basic .. a bit like HTML really..

Google maps API concept
And this one looks like a google map for begginers type of site..
Google maps API tutorial

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
A brilliant idea! A layer on Google Earth would be the ideal, and I think if there's anywhere on the web where you would find the necessary skills to do it, it would be here.

The colours used here to indicate the forum the thread is relative to could be used on the map too, as could the icon representing the forum. For threads like the "Mussing Ship had mystery cargo" thread, this would be an excellent tool for any ATS armchair investigator.

Filters would be necessary around popular areas such as the US, a way of removing scores of icons to leave just the topics you're interested in. Recent Posts and myATS filters would also be a great addition.

I hope I'm right and there are members here with the necessary skills and time to do this, it is a great idea that would be truly useful, and let's not deny the cool factor too!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Sendran

It would be very nice if we could have something like this. There could be a group of ATS members who become 'mappers'.

Basically the same sort of access the Tinwiki editors get and a Tinwiki badge on their avatar too. In this case an 'ATS mapper' badge.

Will sure as heck be a bit busy for quite a while

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   
VERY good idea. I"m wondering about the upkeep of such a map. It would be a lot of work. At least, I'm thinking it would require a bunch. I suggest to the OP that they U2U a link of this thread to our resident
computer god and supermod 12m8keall2c. He could probably discuss the logistics and viability of this being at ATS.

top topics

join