It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA Evidence Can Be Fabricated, Scientists Show

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
DNA Evidence Can Be Fabricated, Scientists Show

Scientists in Israel have demonstrated that it is possible to fabricate DNA evidence, undermining the credibility of what has been considered the gold standard of proof in criminal cases.

The scientists fabricated blood and saliva samples containing DNA from a person other than the donor of the blood and saliva. They also showed that if they had access to a DNA profile in a database, they could construct a sample of DNA to match that profile without obtaining any tissue from that person.

“You can just engineer a crime scene,” said Dan Frumkin, lead author of the paper, which has been published online by the journal Forensic Science International: Genetics. “Any biology undergraduate could perform this.”

So much for the 'gold standard' in evidence. this makes me wonder exactly how many people could have been potentially 'framed' for crimes they have not committed by those in high places. yes, it is a long stretch but this is a conspiracy site and we all like to think we know just how far those in power will go to maintain their power.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Sure a biology undergraduate could do this, if they had a lab.

Just because its possible doesn't mean its plausible. I think DNA evidence will be a safe way to determine innocents or guilt for a long time.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Only a matter of time before someone figured out how to do it.

Now we wait a few years and everyone will be able to buy a kit on the black market and frame their ex-husbands!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
It wouldn't supprise me in the least if this was already common practice. We all know that the police are completly morally devoid, and wouldn't think twice of setting up innocent people just to get their conviction. Infact, it would supprise me alot more to find out that they haven't done this yet.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
Sure a biology undergraduate could do this, if they had a lab.

Just because its possible doesn't mean its plausible. I think DNA evidence will be a safe way to determine innocents or guilt for a long time.

Any student has access to a lab, so whats the problem? They can get rich selling manufactured evidence. I think its actually quite likely that some students will jump at this chance of getting 10.000 bucks or something for a few hours work.

I could place evidence that you were on the scene of a crime, and you would have no way to prove you werent.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Animal

So much for the 'gold standard' in evidence. this makes me wonder exactly how many people could have been potentially 'framed' for crimes they have not committed by those in high places.

Ah, the conspiracy angle. I think you worry unduly. As Tentickles pointed out,

Originally posted by Tentickles
Only a matter of time before someone figured out how to do it.

Evidential 'gold standards' have been compromised before - for example, the advent of digital photography and PhotoShop has made it necessary to scrutinize photographic evidence more closely.

These things are of an evolutionary nature, and are therefore subject to arms races. The fakers get better at faking, the 'tecs get better at detecting, and the advantage passes from one to the other like a rugby ball between two running forwards. There is, in this sense, nothing new under the sun.

new topics

top topics

join