It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A very cheap 500 gallon water tank. Diy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This water tank is actually 470 gallons. The technique is simply and cost should be under $100. This is a ferrocement tank built upon a fibrecement base mold.

aquamor.tripod.com...

I am going to start the project this weekend. Expect completion in a couple of weeks if nothing else jumps in the plans...so mabe a month.

Of course the tank / jar can be downsized as much as you want depending on your needs. I must stress though, do not build larger than shown using this technique.

There are other designs up to 1300 gallons...again do not go beyond this design without using rebar in the metal structure.
ecobites.com...

peace

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I like it.

I hope you will keep us posted, a first hand review with pics would be great.

It looks like a rather rewarding project.

Have fun.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
nice idea for cement art!
(empty line)
line three

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Can't wait to here how it turns out. Please keep us updated as you progess in this project.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
That's a very interesting and unique do it yourself project. Let us know how it goes.
You might want to also check out this site, it's where I have gotten poly water tanks that fit in my closet. They also have underground cistern types and, well, basically any size and shape you could want. Price on the 305 gallon tank is $192USD. There is a 1000+ gallon one under $500. Water Tanks
To reiterate, I think your DIY project is really awesome. In my neck of the woods, though, it's just me doing all preparing so I budget time. If that makes any sense? Provided I can afford to buy something pre-made, that means more time I have to work on another thing needed for preparedness. An example would be, we had a hair care thread a few days ago with a lot of good suggestions for what you could do, like using certain plants or making your own shampoo. I just stocked up gallons of shampoo here where I am at. I can make shampoo, and the info people put out there was good to know should I ever need it. But for now, I saved time by just buying the shampoo gallons (5 minutes, 5 bucks) and tossing them on the shelf.
I really admire you for giving this project a shot! Thinking outside the box like you are is awesome!
gb,
~prep

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I have done something like that for water tanks.

But what i used was precast concrete pipe lined with a homebuild 60 mil PVC water tank liner.

You can buy 60 mil PVC plastic sheet and using PVC cement to glue together a liner that will fit inside a upright precast concrete pipe the put a wood or concrete cap on the top.
www.concretepipe-mi.org...
www.soilmovers.com...

My system was movable with a forklift so that the tanks could be taken apart and moved if needed.

You also can get large precast pipes to make farm or cabin tanks that will hold a 1000 gals or more.

One thing i did like about the ones i built in the desert was if you have a good water source you can put drip system to keep the out side of the concrete pipe wet and the water will stay cold even in hot weather.

The best think about using precast concrete pipe is that its a lot more bullet proof,
I have seen many steel tanks shot full of holes.
This has never happened with the concrete pipe tanks.

I have done a few to show rancher how to build them to replace there steel tanks at windmill sites.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

You can buy 60 mil PVC plastic sheet and using PVC cement to glue together a liner that will fit inside a upright precast concrete pipe the put a wood or concrete cap on the top.

while it seems as a good sealeant it has risks
www.healthybuilding.net...

PVC: A major environmental health disaster

ferrocement tanks have been used as community water cisterns for over20 years.
prior to that the "cement" cisterns of rome are 1000 years old and have no known health effects.

I go by a rule of thumb. If its new...triple check the tests. If its old...double check the results.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by preparanoid

thanks for the post.. yea I did my research. I was stoked on this site until I found that I had to pay for $800. shipping. That kind of defeats the purpose of reasonable product prices. The entire industry of poly tanks has huge transport/shipping rates. Rates so high that it doubles the cost of the tank itself.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

shipping costs can be high sometimes on plastic water tanks, 500 gallon water tank is a great deal. Let plastic-mart.com help you find your best priced options, we have over 30+ location nationwide and if you just call or email us your zip code we can tell you the best deal for you. Stop by plastic-mart.com and shop for a 500 gallon water tank We are always happy to assist you. Local pick up is an option to save on freight if there's a location close by.

new topics

top topics

join