It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Secretary General - This is the the age of multiple crises. Food. Fuel. Flu. Financial.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
A few quotes from UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s address, as prepared for delivery, to the University Presidents’ Forum on Climate Change and Sustainable Development in Asia and Africa, at Korea University in Seoul, on 17 August:

‘WE CAN CATCH TWO BIRDS -- CLIMATE CHANGE AND ECONOMIC GROWTH -- WITH ONE STONE’;

PROSPERITY WILL COME TO THOSE WHO TAKE LOW-CARBON PATH, SAYS SECRETARY-GENERAL

Let me begin by telling you a bit about how I see the world and its challenges.

Then I would like to invite your support and ask for your help in dealing with them, first as individuals, as opinion-makers and influencers, and second as Asians and Africans.

Because I see this as your moment.

We meet at a critical time -- a moment of profound challenge and change.

I often describe this as the age of multiple crises. Food. Fuel. Flu. Financial.

Each is something not seen in years, even generations. But now they are hitting all at once.

I've heard of the 3 Rs but this is the 4 fs, but according to the Secretary General:

These crises are compounded by others of greater human dimension and consequence.

And number one on his list, you guessed it!

First, the existential challenge of climate change, which threatens our way of life and the very future of our planet Earth.

Second, the deadly threat of weapons of mass destruction and nuclear proliferation.

Third, the plight of 2 billion of our fellow human beings, living in life-threatening poverty.

And the glue that holds the whole fate of the Earth together? :-

This brings us back to the main theme of our conversation, and this conference: climate change.

No issue is more central to economic growth and development. No issue is more vital to the well-being of billions of people, particularly in the poorest countries of the world.

We are at the pivotal moment.

In December, the leaders of our modern world come together at the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen.

There can be no solution to the challenge of climate change that is not global. But if we can come together in partnership, we can transform today’s challenge into tomorrow’s opportunity -- an opportunity for green growth and sustainable prosperity.

When you invest in green technology or make your operations more energy efficient, you show that what is good for the environment is also good for the bottom line.

And here is the real bottom line: economic prosperity in the twenty-first century will belong to those who are the first to take the low-carbon path.

This is the way of the future. Those who act today will be more economically competitive tomorrow. And the benefits will continue for decades to come.

I'm sure that those people affected by number three on the list:

Third, the plight of 2 billion of our fellow human beings, living in life-threatening poverty.

-really could not give a damn about climate change.

Are they connected? Was climate change an issue in the 80's in Ethiopia?

Adopting Low carbon Economies isn't going to put food in the mouths of starving African Children.

When I see speeches like this I know that the UN is a total waste of time. Disconnected from the real issues and needs of the world's population.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
The ammo is loaded.

1 barrell is loaded with a Pandemic.
1 barrell is loaded with an attack on US
1 is loaded with WWIII
1 is loaded with the complete death of the dollar
1 is loaded with an invasion from the UN
1 is loaded with starvation.....

I do believe this time they will UNLOAD the entire round on us.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I usually never dwell on numerology but don't you think it is rather funny that "f" is the 6th letter of the alphabet.

You can play with that quite a bit with your food, finance, flu and fuel. You can also add fear and Fahrenheit (representing global warming... lol). Now you have 6 words that start with f. So single out the 3 worst and you have your 666.

Just food for thought here. Funny how I think sometimes.

Rhain

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

You are right!

That's a bit weird, more outrageous claims have been made using lesser arguments on ATS!

[edit on 18-8-2009 by kiwifoot]

new topics

top topics

join