It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
reply to post by grover
I know exactly what you said.
Do tell us grover...when is a good time to have a legally owned firearm with you? After you were robbed? After you were killed for $20? After your wife, daughter, son is killed?... Hope none of the above ever happens to you.
[edit on 18-8-2009 by ElectricUniverse]
Originally posted by jafo1984
After reading most of this thread I see many references that have no relevance to the issue.
1. Race – The race of the individual or individuals that were exercising their right to bear arms is irrelevant. The last time I checked the Constitution of the United States was intended to guarantee the rights of all men and women. We are all created equal. Although our history has not always demonstrated this idea, we are starting to see those ideas put into practice more and more. Maybe one day we will truly be equal. Till then we must continue to put forth the effort to reach that goal.
2. Intimidation – Several posts have argued that carrying weapons to the rally was intended to be some form of intimidation. I believe that any form of vocal protest is itself a form of intimidation. Protesting is an attempt by one group to coerce another group into acting or behaving differently.
3. Comments from other countries – I appreciate that every member on ATS has a right to their own opinion, as does every person in the world and I support the right of free speech. However, I have to ask why anyone outside the United States would choose to voice opposition to people in this country exercising their rights. To put it bluntly, “It is none of your business”. While I may question why you have allowed your rights to be destroyed in your country, I do not try to make it my business by insisting that you revolt to get them back. If you wish to live under such a system, you are entitled to do so. If you believe that free speech, freedom of religion, the right to bear arms is wrong, that is within your right, but to insist that others, especially people in another country should adhere to the standards of your country is wrong.
4. The President is going to be there – First it should be noted that these protestors were not in the “town hall meeting”. They were protesting outside. I can assure you that everyone who entered the building where the President was going to speak was cleared of having any weapons. Furthermore, they were carrying small arms that would have zero chance of causing harm to the President as he arrived in his armored limo. The presence of any elected official should not be cause to suspend people’s rights.
5. That those carrying weapons need a “reason” - Obviously anyone that insists that there has to be a reason to justify exercising one’s rights does not understand the concept of “Rights”. The right is the justification, there does not have to be a need. If that were the case it could be said that people did not have a need to protest and therefore could not do so.
I admire those who attended and had the courage to exercise not only the right of free speech but also the right to bear arms in a responsible and safe manner. I would caution anyone that may choose to try this form of protest to make sure you do so in accordance with all state and local laws regarding open carry. Also make sure that you address questions or comments about your choice to open carry in a respectful and intelligent manner much like the gentleman in the video did.
Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by john124
I can see that your testicles have been removed. Was that done under public health care? When some punk wants to sex up your wife or children you will just hand them over and walk away because you do not want a confrontation. Somebody might get hurt. And it would probably be you. Guns cannot help you. You would only give it away the minute somebody tried to scare you.
Originally posted by merkaba93
These people didn't carry guns to an Obama meeting.
They always carry guns and they went to an Obama meeting.
Perhaps now that they are seeing our liberty teeth they will start to listen a little more?
A people’s petition to their government for a redress of grievances is taken far more seriously when delivered on the end of a bayonet.