It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Phoenix: Dozens of armed citizens attend todays Obama Speech

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

About a dozen people carrying guns, including one with a military-style rifle, milled among protesters outside the convention center where President Barack Obama was giving a speech Monday—the latest incidents in which protesters have openly displayed firearms near the president.

Phoenix police said the gun-toters at Monday's event, including the man carrying an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle slung over his shoulder, didn't need permits. No crimes were committed, and no one was arrested.

The man with the rifle declined to be identified but told The Arizona Republic that he was carrying the assault weapon because he could. "In Arizona, I still have some freedoms," he said.

Phoenix police Detective J. Oliver, who was monitoring the man at the downtown protest, said police also wanted to make sure no one decided to harm him.

"Just by his presence and people seeing the rifle and people knowing the president was in town, it sparked a lot of emotions," Oliver said. "We were keeping peace on both ends."

"It's a political statement," he told The Boston Globe. "If you don't use your rights, then you lose your rights."

www.breitbart.com...

More people using their rights while they still have them.
Excellent, it gets the point across and possible wakes more sheep up.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
yeah, the mssg boards in this state have been buzzin' since the story last week came out that the protester with the gun back east used to live in Scottsdale-the one that had the sidearm that is.

+34 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I always wonder why more people don't bring firearms to rallies and protest... if the people were holding AR15's I think the police would think twice before they bash peoples skulls in with clubs and shields.

Take the London protest. How far would the police have gotten when they faced several thousand armed, angry people?

Protect your freedoms, or the fascist take it by force...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Great to see the heat hasnt gotten to my other home's brains.

I love Phoenix people, they are REAL in every respect.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I always wonder why more people don't bring firearms to rallies and protest... if the people were holding AR15's I think the police would think twice before they bash peoples skulls in with clubs and shields.

Unless if this is about creating an excuse for heavily arming the police, preparing them for civil war or confrontation. If that's the case it means you've been duped, and you're falling for it big time.

Well, at the very least the people have a chance if they own some sort of weapon.

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I wonder how many sniper rifles were being aimed at these armed citizens.

for exercising their rights.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

A lot I assume, in case they have some funny ideas about exercising their rights in some funny ways. Let's just say I don't like crazy people disrupting peace anywhere. Whether they're of government or some civilian kooks.

+11 more 
posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
This is good, more people showing they aren't scared of the government and exercising their rights.

Seems to be an on going theme here, I think the guy in NH started something. What is really cool is the civilian with guns are not disrupting anything, no arrests or anything.

It really puts it into perspective when law abiding citizens have their weapons and there is no violence and they act civilly, not the kind of spin the gun-grabbers want.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Take the London protest. How far would the police have gotten when they faced several thousand armed, angry people?

Protect your freedoms, or the fascist take it by force...

Well the London protesters would have been arrested... it's illegal to own guns in the Isles.

Probably arrested with extreme prejudice.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
This is good, more people showing they aren't scared of the government and exercising their rights.

Seems to be an on going theme here, I think the guy in NH started something. What is really cool is the civilian with guns are not disrupting anything, no arrests or anything.

It is certainly a very profound and surreal statement showing that the people are not intimidated and that should they the Government continue down this path the people will fight back.

Speak softly and carry a big stick... or in this case a big gun.

I have to give kudos to the police for not violating the constitution in this case.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

True, I think it is working too, look at the admin, they can't even keep their story straight, first it is we are dropping the public option now it is no there is a public option, then there is the there aren't enough votes to pass a public option, then there are.

The WH snitch e-mail got taken down today, I think the reality is starting to hit home for some people on our government, maybe just maybe they are getting the message.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Indeed it would be a good thing but I would bet they will simply find more sinister ways to pass their orwellian policies.

For example 9/11 to get the patriot act through.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by Anonymous Avatar]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous Avatar

I agree, they will be more sneaky about it. Either way though I'm glad people are standing up for their right either way though. It's always a good sign.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
As long as gun owners like myself act responsibly and act within the law; I can see it as a proper demonstration as per the constitution.

But what will be the result when some drunk, medicated or very angry gun owner decides to let off a few rounds just to make a point? Eventually we all know this will happen. What then? How will the cops react? The secret service?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
As long as gun owners like myself act responsibly and act within the law; I can see it as a proper demonstration as per the constitution.

But what will be the result when some drunk, medicated or very angry gun owner decides to let off a few rounds just to make a point? Eventually we all know this will happen. What then? How will the cops react? The secret service?

No one willing to stand up for their civil liberties is going to show up to a protest drunk much less drunk with a gun... Have you EVER seen someone drunk at a protest?

I would say right now there are tens of millions of VERY angry gun owners right now in the United States and not one has yet to "let off a few rounds to make a point."

I will bet my worthless money if such a thing were to every happen it would be a plant.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
It's all fun and games until someone puts an eye out.

I just hope someone doesn't think it's their duty to show their rights by opening fire on a rally.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
They didnt even allow Tshirts that were offensive during Bushes Presidency, wonder if it is a racial thing?

Edit to say thats just crazy, a Presidental rally is NOT the place for guns, no way.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by antar]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

According to our constitution and Arizona's open carry laws, anywhere is a place to carry a gun.

As long as everyone acts responsible, what is the problem?

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Oh and as to your racial comment, just an FYI, the man carrying the AR-15 was black...

www.clipsyndicate.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar

Have you EVER seen someone drunk at a protest?

I don't think you have been to many protest rallys. Me and my friends always used to combine alcohol and ***. Rallys are as much a social event as political. Great places to meet women.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join