It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ha, get a laugh out of this

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
In addition, the second amendment was designed to protect the citizens from being forced to conform to govt. if that got. decides it is above the law.

Without the right to bear arms the US may have less crime but it would not have the freedom it has now. If you take away weapons and then take away potential weapons you are now left with two major problems. 1. The strongest survive and 2. Mob rules. neither are appealing. you could argue that law enforcement and the military could stop that because they have weapons but they should not have an advantage over citizens so as to take away their liberties.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
interesting stats...

now lets consider how many 'gun owners' just happened to be working really hard to perform a delicate medical procedure or choose the right compound to treat a rare or obscure illness when they accidentally discharged their 44 into little suzzy's cranium.

Haha i suppose all the rest of the people killed by guns were on purpose so didn't count right?

A gun is a weapon, pure and simple - they are made to end life.
A doctor is a good guy working hard - they just try to save lives.
Compareing the two is just retarded.

Really it's pathetic how desperate you gun nuts are getting!

so there's no problem right?
it's all intent?

The gun intends to kill so outlaw it.
The doctor doesn't intend to kill so ignore it?

Seriously.. you anti-gun "nuts" are disingenuous, manipulative and outright dismissive of actual facts. Instead of saying hey, damn, lets work on getting those doctors a little less lethal, you dismiss the attrocity of 120,000 deaths by doctor as a trival extension of a "gun nuts" poor reasoning skills.

so who's the real ass in this argument?

The debate shouldn't be doctors vs guns.
The OP was just posting an ironic statistic, one that can be used in MANY causes of death in the US alone. Gun deaths are very LOW on the list by extremely HIGH on the "anti-gun nut" list

(see what I did there.. lumped everyone who's not in favor of guns in to a "nut" category.. clever eh?)

Immediately you compared the doctors to guns, not the OP. the OP was comparing death rates... YOU compared Doctors to Guns, so by your own definition, are you retarded?

Note: Mods, he said it, not me.

So let me state it again, the debate shouldn't be doctors vs guns.
The debate should be how we get our well intended overworked doctors to accidently kill LESS people every year.

Then we can move on to:

•Heart disease: 631,636
•Cancer: 559,888
•Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 137,119
•Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 124,583
•Accidents (unintentional injuries): 121,599
•Diabetes: 72,449
•Alzheimer's disease: 72,432
•Influenza and Pneumonia: 56,326
•Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 45,344
•Septicemia: 34,234

and countless other diseases and unnatural causes of death, and THEN we can move on to the ever present media distorted homicide rate of a relatively low rate of just

12,791 (2006 www.cdc.gov)

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
this is freaking joke. would you guys just chill out???

wow! some people.....

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I tried to start a thread similar to this and I failed.
I guess McDonalds calorie and cholesterol intake vs everyones addiction to it, was not as good as doctors vs guns....
I think McDonalds has a higher death rate per 100,000 custumors than guns, or cigs but anyhow ty S+F

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gormly

ill agree with you. people pick their own battles, but some battles are just not as important as they make them out to be.

i for one dont think that we should lower these numbers at all... theres too many of us.

since when did natural selection become a bad thing?

if you hurt someone accidentally with a gun, then you got hurt... if you dont live long enough to get medical help, well then that just sucks for you...

same as other things.

oh you walked out in front of a car while not paying attention? sorry, you just helped our species...

i think we are breeding a race of super powerful deer that can withstand car impacts... hows that for natural selection.

*disclaimer*
i dont like it when others hurt people, so im not condoning the PTB to hurt or sterilize. also, i had a gun accident, but i made it out, and im fine now. had i died then i guess that was the answer to your question you were about to ask about hypocrisy. if you fail to read this then i wont respond to you. its kinda like i naturally selected you out of my existence. CHEERS!

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cams
Although comparing doctors and guns may be over the top for some
it is well documented that there are cures out there that doctors don't know about or simply deny they exist.

Some people have even showned that statistically speaking getting standard medical treatment reduces life expectancy compared to getting alternative treatments, or indeed doing nothing at all

This is, again, a willfully skewed statistic.

People with severe injuries, diagnoses of terminal cancer, acute illnesses, got to doctors. Often by ambulance or to an Emergency department.

They don't rush to their herbologist with these problems.

When you can show a controlled study, where people with the same problems are treated by a doctor, by alternative medicine, have no treatment, and the results are better for alternative, you might have a case.

Doctors are not perfect, and with hundreds of millions of treatments, there are a few thousand mistakes made. We all hear about them.

Medicine is self-regulating and self-correcting. Alternative medicine is not.

Few complain about ineffective alternative treatments or ever sue. I'm in favour of alternative medicine - as an alternative. I also know first hand how much bad science and quackery is practiced by these people.

Mike

[edit on 19-8-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

i think mcdonalds stole my gallbladder from me. wish i could prove it tho.

i still eat it occasionally depending on hungry i am and my location to anything else other than road kill.

seriously. its not even meat, i dont think. kind of like they tossed a whole cow in a grinder and squirt it out a toothpaste tube.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Haha Hammers are weapons too ... dont believe me tell that to every infantryman of the middle ages... the fact is anything that ever had any use was first a weapon. Computers for instance were first developed to crack enemy codes Axes were first invented to kill things rather than chop wood... i could go on if youd like ... its just much easier to say that everything was a weapon first and a tool second ... remember that aerobie u loved playing with so much? its based of the Chakram a razor disc used as a throwing weapon....

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Wow ... and i thought they said Brits were eloquent speakers... Bud you can say you know how to fight all you want... You can say you can defend yourself from a knife attack barehanded... You sir are the most dimwitted person i have ever seen on these boards.
I mean i can come up with a scenario in my head where i can defend a hypothetical attacker with a hypothetical knife its easy! Its much harder when its a REAL attacker and a REAL knife trust me i know =)
Oh yes and please reply to my post by boring me about how tough you are and how many martial arts classes you took when you were 6... well i guess you posting about anything would be worth a good laugh seeing as everything you have said is a joke.

Guns are simply a tool to carry out the intent of its owner... the gun itself is harmless ... its the sick SOB behind it that needs to be hauled off

[edit on 19-8-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Piano wire designed to make music notes.
Baseball bat designed to hit baseballs.
Car designed to transport people.
Meat Cleaver designed to prepare food.
Knife designed as a general work tool for shaping wood.

Ill tie your hands up tightly with piano wire, cutting your wrists on the side.
Right after I knock your spine in with a baseball bat.
Of course, after I put a cleaver into your elbows and threw you in the trunk of my car.
Right after I stuck a screwdriver into the back of your knees.
Then I took a knife and started shaping your bones.

I did it all for fun too. Screw guns, I felt happy watching you suffer, squirm. Guns are boring. Either that or I just did one of the above to disable you to steal your wallet.

See where the problem is here?

However indeed, many knives are designed to kill, the human hand is most likely evolved to be a weapon, but also a multipurpose tool.... Guns have only ONE function to end life.

Actually the arm is designed as a weapon, as well as for reaching. Your hand is, as you said, a multi-purpose tool - mainly to grasp. Grasping food and controlling surrounds. Wait, ok yer right, the hand is a defense mechanism. Hmm, my hand/arm was naturally formed to be used as protection.. HMMMMM.

Guns have only ONE function. Fire projectiles at a high velocity.

No one makes a gun for chopping down trees, for potting up houseplants or gathering twigs for the fire. It is a weapon pure and simple.

People use guns for shooting pottery, or for showing off their abilities by shooting twigs, or for shooting food to place on the fire. It is an object, pure and simple.

Some other things which i believe are weapons; pikes, swords, polearms, pykles, cannons, missiles, bombs, nukes, etc, etc.... This is why we have the world 'weapon' it describes things designed to kill! Calling a gun a 'tool' is just stupid.

Pikes/polearms = fishing.
bombs = mining.
Missiles = satellites.
Nukes = power source.

You see, they are tools. Tools are something used to achieve a goal. Not my fault people understand that these things can be used to obliterate a country.

Guns make it more likely that people will be killed, they make it easy for peope to kill - unfairly easy. A child angry at a local doorman for refusing to let him into the club could go get his brothers gun from under his bed, standing twenty feet away he could kill that man and no one could do anything to stop him (apart from shoot him first which isn't always easy) - guns while i admit don't actually go and kill people of their own accord (like murder robots will when we invent them soon, i say ban those too) they do make it far, far too easy for someone to end a life - the harder it is the less likely it will happen.

I absolutely, positively blame the parents and schools. If it were anything besides an emotional timebomb, I'd blame them.

When guns are gone, people will use knives. When knives are gone, people will use screwdrivers. When screwdrivers are gone, buildings will fall.

When rapists crave, they will use fists - happened in my town not so long ago.

The problem is not an object. The problem is the brain. Might as well just cut all those out, be more likely to end gun crimes the world over. Or at least, destroy our ability to think in a certain way, no matter what other thought processes are controlled by those parts.

I don't own a gun, don't really need to where I live. I own a baseball bat, and I guarantee if someone kicks in my door, they going to be losing use of their legs for a long, long time. They won't hear me. They won't see me. And I won't feel bad. Sad thing is, when I go to the bank I have to worry that someone armed with black market fully auto weapons are going to off me and I have no possible way to fight back. I'm helpless. Sad, really, how anxiety issues can come about while mental health care is terrible all over the world. lol

[edit on 19-8-2009 by shanerz]

[edit on 19-8-2009 by shanerz]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Ugh...everybody keeps posting stuff about accidental this or intentional that, or comparing guns to doctors, or what if it was this or that...stop talking in hypotheticals

Whether intentional or not, whether used improperly or not, is not for the statistics to be judged by. They are just statistics. All they say is that more people die as a result of being treated by a doctor than as a result of being shot by a firearm. That's all!

At the end of the day, everything else is just interpretation.

My own interpretation is that I am much more likely to die at a hospital than I am out in the street by a gun. And though I am only 27, I have lived most of my life in one of the highest per capita murder cities in the US - New Orleans. And I have yet to come even close to being shot. I have however had my fair share of extremely painful hospital visits. And now that I pretty much don't go to the doctor anymore, I can say that my level of health stays high, and when I do get sick or have some ailment, it takes the same amount of time to get better on my own as it does going to the doctor. The only difference is cost. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
lol, lets ban doctors! no more heart surgeries, no more brain surguries, no more doctors delivering babies, no more prescription medicine lets go back to the stone ages!!!! wooohooooo where do we pile the bodies? how many lives do doctors save each year? ponder that.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Okay - so I should go to a town hall meeting with a doctor strapped to my belt?
I'm in...

[edit on 19-8-2009 by realshanti]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NatureBoy

Honestly, NatureBoy, you have got to be THE MOST NAIVE PERSON ON THIS SITE. do you honestly believe everyone who owns a gun has it to kill people? that is a major generalization if i've ever heard one. people use them to hunt, and take this crazy concept. . . FOR PROTECTION!!!!!!!
brinks home security isn't gonna save you if your house gets broken into at 3 a.m.
take this scenario, for example. you see ads on tv promoting brinks home security. you decide this would be a wise investment event should the event arise that someone breaks into your house, especially due to the fact that you are a very prominent figure in the neighborhood that has made some decisions that some do not agree with. it did prove a wise investment as your house was soon broken into later that night at 3 a.m.. the alarms go off and the phones ring. unfortunately for you, the intruder is determined to harm you and proceeds on. and sadly, you prove to be a heavier sleeper than you had previously believed and sleep thru the alarms and ringing. the killer then proceeded to stab you, after which you awaken and manage to flee. the killer was crafty though, and hid the phone, and you have nothing to protect yourself. Nightey-Night.
had you had a gun, this story may have turned out very differently.

also, a fact that you and others like yourself often seem to overlook is THAT GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE. . . BUT BULLETS DO!!!
if you want to save lives you don't need to outlaw guns, you need to outlaw bullets. find a better way to fight crime, preferably non-violent, and deter violence.

also, i consider myself a liberal so you can't all liberals are out to put an end to guns.

ladies and gentlemen of the jury, i rest my case.

[edit on 19-8-2009 by LocoHombre]

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
If doctors are 'practising' why do we use them. Should we find one that got it right?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
If doctors are 'practising' why do we use them. Should we find one that got it right?

On top of that WE PAY THEM SO MUCH MONEY.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

If you never intended to mow the lawn would you buy a lawnmower? of course you wouldn't! People buy guns because they expect to have to kill someone one day, or they like practiceing or pretending they're killing people. Guns are weapons, if you aren't strong enough to admit that then i really don't think you should have one.

Change the word "strong" for "intellectual" and I agree with you wholeheartedly

posted on Aug, 24 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Guns have only ONE function to end life.

If you would have been at Lexington or Concord, you would have said the purpose of guns is to stop tyrants.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
www.new-mind.com...

Number of physicians in the US: 700,000.

Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000.

Accidental deaths per physician: 0.171 (U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services)

Number of gun owners in the US: 80,000,000.

Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups): 1,500.

Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

"FACT: Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has at least one Doctor."

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand. As a Public Health Measure, the statistics on Lawyers have been withheld for fear that the shock could cause people to seek medical aid.

No comment =p.

Don't walk into a emergency room if you have a knife in your side, and expect a 100% percent recovery.

posted on Aug, 25 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by mmiichael

Originally posted by cams
Although comparing doctors and guns may be over the top for some
it is well documented that there are cures out there that doctors don't know about or simply deny they exist.

Some people have even showned that statistically speaking getting standard medical treatment reduces life expectancy compared to getting alternative treatments, or indeed doing nothing at all

This is, again, a willfully skewed statistic.

People with severe injuries, diagnoses of terminal cancer, acute illnesses, got to doctors. Often by ambulance or to an Emergency department.

They don't rush to their herbologist with these problems.

When you can show a controlled study, where people with the same problems are treated by a doctor, by alternative medicine, have no treatment, and the results are better for alternative, you might have a case.

Doctors are not perfect, and with hundreds of millions of treatments, there are a few thousand mistakes made. We all hear about them.

Medicine is self-regulating and self-correcting. Alternative medicine is not.

Few complain about ineffective alternative treatments or ever sue. I'm in favour of alternative medicine - as an alternative. I also know first hand how much bad science and quackery is practiced by these people.

Mike

[edit on 19-8-2009 by mmiichael]

One of my posts stated that 2/3 of these "accidental" deaths are caused by bad prescriptions.

The others are the results of bad medical procedures.

If you count the number of people that had cancer or something and the doctors couldn't save them, then this count will be well into the millions.

I'm not a gun nut, I don't have a gun. But after a man broke into my home and ran because my speakers were loud three weeks ago, I am beginning to doubt my anti-gun beliefs.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join