It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ha, get a laugh out of this

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
It is not really the fact that so many people own guns actually. I realize that this is not going to change.

What really troubles me are all those gun owner are proud of owning them, display them like some sort of superiority syndrom or inferiority complex (like the caveman brandishing a spear) or as an expression of their aggressive personality. They cling on to their guns not because of what it does, rather what it represents..the illusion of safety and power. A gun will never buy back the freedom the government is stripping away.

I know if I had a gun I wouldnt brag about it and let alone be proud of owning an item that is only good at ending lives and puting my family at risk of accidents or the envy of robbers after a weapon.

There are a few things that separate gun nuts from gun enthusiasts. Gun nuts see the gun as a solution to a problem. Enthusiasts see a gun as a tool to use as part of the solution but not being the solution itself.

Guns help the powerless feel like they have power. They give people confidence. The perception of gun ownership implies protection and the ability to prevent loss of power.

These are all just perceptions and not usually the realities, but too often, people cop out to the perception and join the ranks of the "Gun Nuts".

I'm a big fan of protecting friends, family, and myself. and there's not a lot I wouldn't do to those ends, but I'm not going to advertise that I have guns and won't wear my gun to a rally just to prove that I can have it. I'm secure in my knowledge that I have a gun to protect me and mine and I don't need to advertise it for whatever reason.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
reply to post by HumilityIsKey

Well whatever, i've said my bit - all i can say is i hope that it's your familes which get shot because of the prevalance of guns in your country and not those poor innocent folk who have to put up with all you nutnuts playing out your crazy redneck hero fantasys. Bye all....

You hope my family gets shot???

Honestly, what is wrong with you? Any decent point you have made is now falling on deaf ears. You have something wrong in your head in order to say that you hope my family gets shot.

WOW

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOracle
I know if I had a gun I wouldnt brag about it and let alone be proud of owning an item that is only good at ending lives and puting my family at risk of accidents or the envy of robbers after a weapon.

I am not putting my family at any risk. My gun is locked in a safe with a digital keypad that will lock down when three wrong codes are entered. I also have a gun lock on my gun so even if someone does get into the safe somehow, my gun is locked and safe.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
www.new-mind.com...

"FACT: Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has at least one Doctor."

I don't have a doctor.

Your fact is broken.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Xtinguish

haha, did you miss my post about how pathetic hunting rifles are no match for tanks, bombs and pilotless drones? If you want to oppose the US army you better be coming with something better than sidearms mu'kay?

Also don't you think it's a bit late? HELLO? Look at the state america is in, what you going to do about it? Hang on, let me ask David Koresh....

Who said anything about the U.S. Army?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaronVonGodzilla

Originally posted by die_another_day
www.new-mind.com...

"FACT: Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has at least one Doctor."

I don't have a doctor.

Your fact is broken.

were u born in a hospital

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

interesting stats...

now lets consider how many 'gun owners' just happened to be working really hard to perform a delicate medical procedure or choose the right compound to treat a rare or obscure illness when they accidentally discharged their 44 into little suzzy's cranium.

Haha i suppose all the rest of the people killed by guns were on purpose so didn't count right?

A gun is a weapon, pure and simple - they are made to end life.
A doctor is a good guy working hard - they just try to save lives.
Compareing the two is just retarded.

Really it's pathetic how desperate you gun nuts are getting!

100% wrong.

A gun is made to fire a projectile. Where that projectile goes is determined by the human operator.

Since you believe guns are made to kill, perhaps you could tell me if my guns are defective or not since they havent killed anyone.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
very interesting thought, although doctors perform highly complicated procedures and surgeries. and there will always be a death due to medical procedures and most of them time they are trying to save your life not due experimental surgery and a gun is not complicated but people still die from being shot. either from stupidity or carelessness, guns are weapons, and should not be sold to everyone.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
when people go to the hospital then die unintentionally, wouldn't the cause of death not be the doctor, and probably the reason they came to the hospital in the first place?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   

interesting stats...

now lets consider how many 'gun owners' just happened to be working really hard to perform a delicate medical procedure or choose the right compound to treat a rare or obscure illness when they accidentally discharged their 44 into little suzzy's cranium.

Haha i suppose all the rest of the people killed by guns were on purpose so didn't count right?

Interesting how you choose to totally ignore the facts and engage in typical liberal rhetoric.

You're right, a gun is made to end life - when yours is being threatened. Any "gun nut" will explain to you how a gun is a defensive tool. Ask them to explain because clearly you've never had it explained in a way you can grasp.

Really it's pathetic how desperate you liberals are getting!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dannyfal

No, these unintentional deaths are induced by incompetent doctors. Usually those doing their internship.

About 80,000 of that 120,000 are killed by bad prescriptions.

Rest include surgery mistakes and in rare cases, murder labeled as unintentional by hospital lawyers.

This is also a reason why we need to reform the health care system. We need to make higher standards and regulations on doctors and on drugs.

[edit on 8/18/2009 by die_another_day]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
you know the funny thing about doctors is that for every doctor that graduated first in their class theres one who just squeaked by. yep there is out there right now as we speak the absolute worst doctor in its chosen field..... and its getting ready to see YOU!!!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by mitman93

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by mitman93
Of course, he obtained the weapons illegally.

You seem so 100% sure that crazy people obtain weapons illegaly. Why do gun nuts always assume this?

So basically what you are saying IS: Nobody who has bought a gun legally has EVER gone out and intentionally shot someone?

The Virginia tech shooter bought his guns from a gun dealer.

The killer at the LA fitness centre bought his guns legally.

The Columbine killers bought guns from a gun show.

Hmm... Sorry to prove you wrong.

Ok first off, I'm not a "gun nut". I do not own a gun, nor am I a part of any gun organization. It's amazing how quickly other people label each other.

Secondly, if ANYONE had a gun during the Virginia Tech incident there would be A LOT less casualties than there were. You know it. I know it. It was on the news for god's sake. Nobody on campus had a gun because of the concealed weapons law on campus. I admit, Cho obtained his weapons easily and legally. That is why I think we should have a better screening system to obtain weapons.

IMO, guns can save more lives than take IF USED RESPONSIBLY.

People will always find a way to obtain weapons. (legal or not) The sooner a massacre can be stopped, the better.

Wrong - Australia got rid of their Guns - and gun deaths have plummeted - so yes there are still incidents however the total number of deaths has fallen - so it is overall safer NOT to have a gun ....

Those are the facts from a society which had a gun problem and sought to eradicate it ..

www.monash.edu.au...
www.theage.com.au...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by audas
Australia got rid of their Guns - and gun deaths have plummeted - so yes there are still incidents however the total number of deaths has fallen - so it is overall safer NOT to have a gun ....

Those are the facts from a society which had a gun problem and sought to eradicate it ..

I'm glad to see there is solid evidence of this.

I live in Canada, where we're not a gun culture by nature. And that is with a lot of actual hunting going on.

In the States there are, what, 100 million guns? Would the same thing happen if they were curtailed, or would it just empower those already with guns? Nobody can answer that one easily.

Mike

[edit on 18-8-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
Ooohhh.

What are you doing??

If you are going to deal in facts then nobody will be able to argue with you.

Is that the entire point of the site. I hope not. I was kind of hoping that the site would also be a place to post things like this to make people aware of the numbers, and let people decide for themselves.

Maybe that was just me.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by dannyfal
when people go to the hospital then die unintentionally, wouldn't the cause of death not be the doctor, and probably the reason they came to the hospital in the first place?

I went to emergency hospital, had blood posioning, Doctor gave me wrong medicine, got worse, went to my Doctor, he said I had been given wrong medicine.
If had of died would have been first Doctors accident/mistake.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Well, I think the point was that the number of accidental deaths by doctors exceeds the number of deliberate and accidental deaths by firearms.

A firearm, as pointed out, is made *only* to kill. Despite this, there are still fewer fatalities from firearms than from doctors, whose main effort is not to kill, but to heal.

The number of people killed by firearms isn't countless. In the US, it numbers in the tens of thousands. That's horrible, granted - though many of those people were suicides.

The purpose of firearms for defense, I believe, is not to protect people from burglars or other criminals. The chances you'll have your weapon out, loaded, and handy are negligible. It is to protect us from a government gone mad. Firearm tragedies cost thousands of lives. Governments gone mad cost millions.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
If people are so afraid of guns then why don't you go live in washington DC where they banned them? Oh that's right it's a crime infested rat hole where criminals and corrupt politicians know they have free reign.

Indeed lots of great ideas coming from DC.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
If people would face the facts about gun ownership, there wouldnt be crazy stats and constant b*%#ching between the two views. Fact is bad guys will not get rid of there guns when uncle sam tells them to, and hense would leave those who dont break the law defensless. The other fact is that this country is large and hense cant have a cop every square mile, and if my wife was at home alone and there were no one that could come to her assistance for 30 min...Now consider she doesnt have a gun because the law prohibits, but the thug does. Solve that problem and THEN you can get rid of guns.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   

interesting stats...

It's pathetic how seriously you anti-gun nuts take everything.

Get over yourself.

I don't own a gun, and probably never will, but come on... this is funny!

[edit on 18-8-2009 by paradigm619]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join