It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ha, get a laugh out of this

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Good thread...... I don't understand the people that throw all blame on the weapon/tool instead of the people handling it. There was one post ( I forgot who it was from) talking about how a kid takes a gun and goes and shoots people, well...... the gun isn't to blame in that situation, the parents are. Why should I not be able to carry a gun because of somebody else? That is like saying I can't have a knife in my house because somebody else killed a person with a knife. If a person wants to do harm, they will find a way.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Amount of people killed deliberately by guns? Countless...

Amount of people killed deliberately by surgeons? Probably not many.

the flip side, and consider the 'countless' is 1500.

Amount of people killed accidentally by guns? way under 1500

Amount of people killed accidentally by surgeons? about 120,000

so an irresponsible gun owner is still way less deadly than an irresponsible doctor?

yes, just to show how foolish your statistics are

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder

Just goes to show how foolish you are when you fail to account that MY post was a sarcastic take on how statistics can be used to prove anything.

And your points are irrelevant as they are just a snap shot of the Op's original intent. Therefore proving to me that the majority of people who defend guns (on this thread at least)seem to fail to grasp irony and sarcasm.

I'm sorry you couldn't figure that out. May i suggest next time you clean your gun you DON'T look down the barrel.

Love and peace

Mr L

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtinguish
reply to post by NatureBoy

The fear is not that our guns will be taken to leave us helpless and weak against some assailant.

No, rather the fear is it will leave US ALL helpless and weak against a tyrannical government.

but.... we already are...?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but I can't belive people are taking this rediculous comparison serisouly as proof that doctors are "more dangerous" than "gun owners."

If you can't even see the flawed logic in comparing the two then it's not even worth the time spelling it out for you.

And yes, I'm a supporter of the 2nd amendment.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NatureBoy
interesting stats...

now lets consider how many 'gun owners' just happened to be working really hard to perform a delicate medical procedure or choose the right compound to treat a rare or obscure illness when they accidentally discharged their 44 into little suzzy's cranium.

Haha i suppose all the rest of the people killed by guns were on purpose so didn't count right?

A gun is a weapon, pure and simple - they are made to end life.
A doctor is a good guy working hard - they just try to save lives.
Compareing the two is just retarded.

Really it's pathetic how desperate you gun nuts are getting!

Now think of this.

What if there was one crazy guy who decided to go on a random shooting? (almost happened at my work the other day) Of course, he obtained the weapons illegally. Since concealed weapons are illegal no one else has a gun. How many lives are "saved" then, huh?

IMO, we should grant concealed weapons to RESPONSIBLE gunowners. That way if a "Virginia Tech" incident happens, it could be stopped QUICKLY and SAVE lives.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darthorious

Wow you really lost touch with reality like so many have today.

We use guns for food after all it's kind of hard to sneak up on a deer and strangle it without getting mauled yourself.

When you have a rabid dog/wolf/skunk or what ever you have to have a gun to put it down after all it will maul you especially if it's wild and yes they do attack unprovoked once rabies sets in.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Darthorious]

Are you speaking for all Americans here? I live in a condo and I get my food from the organic supermarket. That food in turn comes from farms, where they keep animals fenced in.

Who are all these people that live in the woods and whose only choice is to eat deer? Sounds more like a hobby not a "REALITY like so many have today"...

And you get internet out there in "reality"?

-rrr

[edit on 18-8-2009 by rickyrrr]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mitman93
Of course, he obtained the weapons illegally.

You seem so 100% sure that crazy people obtain weapons illegaly. Why do gun nuts always assume this?

So basically what you are saying IS: Nobody who has bought a gun legally has EVER gone out and intentionally shot someone?

The Virginia tech shooter bought his guns from a gun dealer.

The killer at the LA fitness centre bought his guns legally.

The Columbine killers bought guns from a gun show.

Hmm... Sorry to prove you wrong.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by finemanm
Sorry to burst you bubble:

In 2006, there were 30,896 gun deaths in the U.S: 12,791 homicides (41% of total deaths), 16,883 suicides (55% of total deaths), 642 unintentional shootings (2% of total deaths), 360 from legal intervention (1.2% of total deaths) and 220 from undetermined intent (.8% of total deaths).
www.ichv.org...

Still better than the doctors
but not as extreme as the OP claimed.

so lets look at this one then... , round off to 31k...

CDC death statistics say...
www.cdc.gov...

11 Intentional self-harm 33,300
12 Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis 27,555
13 Essential hypertension and hypertensive renal disease 23,855
14 Parkinson’s disease 19,566
15 Assault (homicide) 18,573

hmm, but lets see whats higher up on teh list

Influenza and pneumonia 56,326
Diabetes mellitus 72,449
Accidents (unintentional injuries) 121,599

so, im more likely to die from catching the flu, getting diabetes or generally being stupid.

interesting, shouldn't we outlaw sugar and cold drafts instead?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
you want us to be nihilistic like you? i dont see any other way i could get a laugh out of this info. are you gonna be laughing when foreign troops knock your door down during a false flag attack in supposed sake of your safety? maybe youre just too stupid and numb to realize its ultimately affecting you also.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoffinFeeder

Amount of people killed deliberately by guns? Countless...

Amount of people killed deliberately by surgeons? Probably not many.

the flip side, and consider the 'countless' is 1500.

Amount of people killed accidentally by guns? way under 1500

Amount of people killed accidentally by surgeons? about 120,000

so an irresponsible gun owner is still way less deadly than an irresponsible doctor?

Now armed with knowledge, you have every right to decline medical care for you or your family.

-rrr

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
This takes the cake.

Proud "gun nut" right here. I think the facts clearly speak for themselves.

sorry full quote is not showing when i tried to respond...hmmm

[edit on 18-8-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Chris Rock suggested (don't stop reading just cause i started my sentence with that) that we don't need gun control. We need BULLET control.

It is highly unrealistic to try and rid America of all guns. But i think increasing the price of bullets to something ridiculously high would make someone second guess their decision to fire. So gun owners will still be (somewhat) happy, the 2nd amendment isn't messed with, and less people get shot.

Besides, if you just need a gun to defend yourself, you'll only need 3-6 bullets. Otherwise your just a crappy shot and shouldn't even own a gun or your defending yourself from superman. Who is dead already.

Here's the Chris rock bit... i tried embedding the youtube but doesn't come up right...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by HumilityIsKey

as this is a statisitics thread, why don't you go look up the instances of burglary Vs the instances of home invasion and rape.....

You guys always come out with some doomsday situation where only a gun will help, well out of all the people i know in the UK no one has been in such a situation to the best of my knowledge. When my home gets invaded and i get out of bed with the wife, she picks up her mobile to summon the police while i go and make sure everything is ok... I can then inform the crook that the popo are inbound - i'm sure he won't want to stick around long enough to upgrade his crime to the high court while leaving some DNA for good measure...

Sure the dude a few pages back made a good point, in some remote places guns can be useful when bears attack - we don't have any dangerous animals in england so it is indeed different, however being part of a speices which rose to the top of the food chain before we invented guns i'm sure we can manage without them again.... A good stout stick, some bear repelant spray (hormone musk induces flight instinct) or maybe even a Tazer would be more than enough to fend off most attackers - that and human tactics, careful camping and awareness of nature. I am as my name suggests a nature boy, many of my friends are woodsmen and the like - i'm sure they'ld be the first to tell you that only an idiot needs a gun in a forrest.

Well whatever, i've said my bit - all i can say is i hope that it's your familes which get shot because of the prevalance of guns in your country and not those poor innocent folk who have to put up with all you nutnuts playing out your crazy redneck hero fantasys. Bye all....

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
www.new-mind.com...

Number of physicians in the US: 700,000.

Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000.

Accidental deaths per physician: 0.171 (U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services)

Number of gun owners in the US: 80,000,000.

Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups): 1,500.

Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000 times more dangerous than gun owners.

"FACT: Not everyone has a gun, but everyone has at least one Doctor."

Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand. As a Public Health Measure, the statistics on Lawyers have been withheld for fear that the shock could cause people to seek medical aid.

No comment =p.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimated 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non-fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during 2000. Hey OP - how many of those non-fatal gunshots were treated by doctors? How many of those people would have died if not for doctors?

source

What are the statistics on the number of lives SAVED by doctors every year? OP - please get an appendicitis or cancer, and then refuse to see an 'evil' doctor. You'll be doing the rest of us a favor. Poor rhetoric - you lose.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mitman93
Of course, he obtained the weapons illegally.

You seem so 100% sure that crazy people obtain weapons illegaly. Why do gun nuts always assume this?

So basically what you are saying IS: Nobody who has bought a gun legally has EVER gone out and intentionally shot someone?

The Virginia tech shooter bought his guns from a gun dealer.

The killer at the LA fitness centre bought his guns legally.

The Columbine killers bought guns from a gun show.

Hmm... Sorry to prove you wrong.

Ok first off, I'm not a "gun nut". I do not own a gun, nor am I a part of any gun organization. It's amazing how quickly other people label each other.

Secondly, if ANYONE had a gun during the Virginia Tech incident there would be A LOT less casualties than there were. You know it. I know it. It was on the news for god's sake. Nobody on campus had a gun because of the concealed weapons law on campus. I admit, Cho obtained his weapons easily and legally. That is why I think we should have a better screening system to obtain weapons.

IMO, guns can save more lives than take IF USED RESPONSIBLY.

People will always find a way to obtain weapons. (legal or not) The sooner a massacre can be stopped, the better.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
That single handedly proves that Washington only cares about the problems they can benefit from...

If they were responsible they would give us this statistic and warn us and doctors to be more careful.

But that would mean many ignorant people would stop going to doctors and their buddies would lose money......so they blame guns on stuff because guns are dangeruous.........yea in the hands of a power hungry individual.....

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
this chart of stats is really old.

doctors are probably wayyyy more dangerous by now.

and obviously, just like always, the left missed the boat completely...

its meant to entertain as a joke.

yes the stats ARE there as PROOF that yes, ACCIDENTALLY, doctors are more dangerous than gun owners.

but obviously the doctors arent as efficient as gun owners when it comes to INTENTIONAL deaths.

its like saying you are more likely to be struck by lightning than be in a plane crash.

now the real question is, How many doctors are gun owners??? that might skew the numbers in FAVOR of gun owners i think

cheers, and will the left stop using recent events to call out every time anyone who says anything about guns... like we JUST came up with it.

lame....

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Now lets add to the equation all the lives doctor save every year.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I think most doctors are just trying to make a living. They could care less about saving lives.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join