It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Men tote assault rifles at Obama event

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Curiously enough, no one has pointed out that the rifle the man was carrying was not an actual assault rifle. It was simply an AR-15.

Big media just likes to use scary terms to sensationalize the news.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The AR 15 is the predecessor to the M 16, so it;s pretty much an assault rifle.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

LOL and add to that you don't put different grips, barrels, sights/scopes, stocks, high capacity magazines on a normal hunting rifle. The AR-15 has and always will be designed to fight aka assault not hunt. Big difference.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Correction: A true assault rifle has a full auto capability (class 3 ). No selector switch on an AR.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

LOL and add to that you don't put different grips, barrels, sights/scopes, stocks, high capacity magazines on a normal hunting rifle. The AR-15 has and always will be designed to fight aka assault not hunt. Big difference.

Really? Odd, my Rem. 700 has a different barrel, scope, and stock than it did when it was purchased brand new.

Works out just fine for hunting.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAftermath

You're going through loop holes in the system to turn a hunting rifle into an assault rifle and for that sir, I solute you!

Besides that, the government can say whatever it wants. You kill just as many people in semi auto than with full auto with a bit of training. I myself can shoot a paintball gun in semi auto fast enough to appear half the speed of full auto.

When it comes down to it, if you can shoot 3 shots a second, it's just as good as an assault rifle, thus the law is dumb and stupid. Not that I support it anyway. Assault rifles should be legal. If you ban them, there's nothing stopping a criminal from getting some potassium chlorate, a bag full of gummy worms, and blowing something up. But don't ask politicians to try and make sense. :/

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAftermath

point it at a guys head and pull the trigger, then its classification isn't going to make all that much difference.

maybe my complete anti-gun stance and British viewpoint is blurring my vision but to bring a gun to something like this simply because you can, forgetting that it only takes one false move by some extremist and an entire country and even the world is changed is completely crazy. i agree with the guy who said he'd have people trained on him constantly ready to shoot, and i hope to god there was.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RuledBySecrecy

Why should someone have men ready to kill him simply for exercising his Constitutionally protected rights?

I know its hard for neutered Brits to understand, but we actually value the idea of self defense and arming ourselves for whatever reason we choose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join