It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death of the Flying Car...or at least it's Inventor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Ever since Henry Ford uttered those famous words in 1940...

"Mark my word: A combination airplane and motorcar is coming. You may smile. But it will come..."

the world has been waiting with bated breath for that combination to arrive. As a child I totally bought in to those stories about having Flying Cars in the future. Every time I saw another news clip on the Flying Car "being available in 1976" I would think to myself "that's like forever from now...I can't wait 5 years!...I want my Flying Car now!" Needless to say, after one inventor and company after another tried to bring us Flying Cars to no avail, decade after decade after decade after decade I finally gave up on the hope of ever getting a Flying Car (or a working Jet-Pack, or taking a cruise to the rings of Saturn) in my lifetime.

And now I know why...

Inventor Killed in Jetpod Crash

A prototype of the ‘flying taxi’ belonging to British-based Avcen Ltd crashed and burst into flames during a test flight from Tekah airstrip, killing its inventor Michael Robert Dacre.

Not a vote of confidence when your Test Flight ends in a fatal fiery crash and explosion!

Here is the Jetpod (and the dream) before the crash...

The Jetpod Gives Vision to the Future of Flight

So much for these being available by 2010 as advertised!

Alas, I'll go back to waiting with bated breath for the next inventor to come along offering promises of Flying Cars by 2020. In the meanwhile, RIP Michael Robert Dacre knowing that your dream lives on in the hearts and minds of all of us who wanted to believe.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Great post.

When I was a child of 8, I lived next door to the Dean of Engineering at an upstate New York college. He was building a one man helicopter in his backyard! It looked sort of like a bicycle with a large rotor blade in front and a smaller rotor blade in back. Unfortunately we moved before I ever saw him try it out.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Sad to hear that....

The man was really a dreamer and fought for his dreams!
He even hoped to see them realised before he would leave ...the building.

S&F despite the bad news!

I guess we still have a chance at it though.
Things sometimes move faster than we can expect or attain.

join