It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words Matter in Public Health Issues Like Flu

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This is a "duh?" observation in my opinion, but I am posting anyway as it seems someone had to do research to actually discovere this. I would look for a change in the way things are presented in the future.

FromInfection Control Today

Giving people a sense of being in control is an important element in health messages, according to researchers at Nottingham and De Montfort universities. The research, which was funded by the Economic and Social Research Council, looked at how language used in policy messages and media coverage affects the public perception of health threats. The report warns that lyrical and over-emotional language may be counter-productive when issuing warnings and advice about pandemics and hospital infections.

"During the SARS and bird flu scare scientists and health organizations used disaster metaphors, such as tsunami, perfect storm and bio-terrorism to mobilize the media, governments and individuals to prepare for a pandemic in waiting. Such terms can make people sit up and listen, but they can also lead to panic or cynicism," says professor Brigitte Nerlich, who led the research. “Recent advice on swine flu has centered on basic hygiene, which makes people feel they can do something practical, instead of being mere victims of so-called superbugs or killer viruses. But obviously this is easier to do when a disease is relatively benign.”

The first sentence says "Giving people a sense of being in control is an imortant element in health messages". Mandatory vaccination doesn't cut it here. They may look for more manipulative ways to push vaccination that makes it look like it is your decision...with flu and other things in general.

Need to all be aware of the changing manipulations in the media.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I currently have swine flu at the moment, so does my girlfriend. Its no fun as im sure you can imagine but its really not that bad. Neither of us is taking tamiflu or are going to be any time soon, neither of us would take a vaccine either.

In reality you cant stop the spread of these things, illness is a part of life, it happens to us all. Stop worrying about it and focus on the positives in life is what i say.

new topics

join