It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican : God and Aliens Can Coexist....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

The Vatican’s chief astronomer, Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, confessed in an interview that he saw no conflict between the religious doctrine he serves, and the scientific knowledge he peruses–including the possibility of “extraterrestrial brothers.” He also stated that it remains entirely possible that humanity represents the “lost sheep” of the universe, and that there is an entire community of highly-evolved extraterrestrials that remained in “full friendship with their creator.”

Source

[edit on 17-8-2009 by phi1618]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Seems like they are trying to bridge the gap between faith and science. Maybe they are preparing us for something in the future, i mean the church talking about aliens? thats news.

there is hope for the terra papers yet

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this article, it is wonderful how times change.

Just over 400 years ago Giordano Bruno was condemned to a torturous death and burned at the stake for suggesting that there might be other solar systems, possibly inhabited by intelligent life.

And now we are here. Where will we be tomorrow? Only time will tell, but the universe always arches towards truth.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
And confusion & doubt sets with more grip on many Christians. How man changes things in a way to suit their need is shameful.

And the Zeta Reticuli big eyed being on a cross sucks, big time.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Interesting statement from the Vatican, considering some people consider aliens to be the gods of ancient history. But nowadays, these could be the 'other flocks that ye know not of' that Jesus was said to mention.

P.S. Vatican shmatican.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
By "co-exist" does that mean "acknowledge Jesus as the way". Or do they mean they consider Christianity the same as any other religion?

If it's the latter then it does put a big question on Christianity (and others) as the true religion.

A big question is why God omissed *very* important information about far superior intelligence than ours. There is nothing in scripture to account for it.

Christianity faces a big dilema if far superior intelligence knows nothing of this "Jesus you talk about". Faced with the dilema that an infallible God forgot to preach the good news to the inhabitants of planet XYZ I guess they'll then try to go on like the Aliens are evil spirits in disguise etc.

From another thread:

I was brought up as a Christian, and was always taught that God created the Heavens and the Universe. . .

The Christian God forgot to mention about our superior alien brothers who could wipe humanity out on a whim. It would be a big confusion how aliens fit into their dogma and world system since there is no scripture readily available to explain Aliens.

Is there a reason for an infallible God to keep us in the dark? Is it possible for God to lie? Is remaining silent (nothing in scripture) on the issue a form of deceit? Some Christians (and many other religions) will have some serious problems when superior aliens land on the proverbial doorstep and turn out to be athiest/believe in another God.

Lets hope Jesus visited Nimbus 5 and preached the good news too.

--

Also his assertion that -humans- could be the lost sheep is clearly wrong.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by igor_ats]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Old News . Wed, May 14, 2008

Vatican OK's belief in Aliens!!,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Vatican: It's OK for Catholics to Believe in Aliens,

Vatican Official Declares Extraterrestrial Contact Is Real,

Vatican scientist says belief in God and aliens is OK
www.thelivingmoon.com...

REUTERS

Vatican Says Aliens Could Exist
BBC Rome
news.bbc.co.uk...

Vatican Official Declares Extraterrestrial Contact Is Real
Vatican Ponders Baptism of Extraterrestrials
Vatican and UFO: Secretum Omega Vatican Observatory
www.thelivingmoon.com...

[edit on 17-8-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes, it is old news.

But considering this is a another nail in the coffin for organized religion - I'd say it's worthy news.

Watch as they scramble to prepare for some type of disclosure - and this may very well be a solid indicator that full/semi/partial/mini disclosure is on the way...hope so anyways.

And after looking at the OP's picture, you'd think the clock in the background would show as 4:20 instead of 4:04.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalfallacy

I meant as its been covered in many threads

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

oops...my bad.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by logicalfallacy]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Old News . Wed, May 14, 2008

Vatican OK's belief in Aliens!!,

Vatican: It's OK for Catholics to Believe in Aliens,

Vatican Official Declares Extraterrestrial Contact Is Real,

Vatican scientist says belief in God and aliens is OK
www.thelivingmoon.com...

REUTERS

Vatican Says Aliens Could Exist
BBC Rome
news.bbc.co.uk...

Vatican Official Declares Extraterrestrial Contact Is Real
Vatican Ponders Baptism of Extraterrestrials
Vatican and UFO: Secretum Omega Vatican Observatory
www.thelivingmoon.com...

[edit on 17-8-2009 by zorgon]

Thanks zorgon, didnt realize
shoulda searched this one before posting it. ALot of Vatican threads out there

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by logicalfallacy
reply to post by zorgon

Yes, it is old news.

But considering this is a another nail in the coffin for organized religion - I'd say it's worthy news.

Watch as they scramble to prepare for some type of disclosure - and this may very well be a solid indicator that full/semi/partial/mini disclosure is on the way...hope so anyways.

And after looking at the OP's picture, you'd think the clock in the background would show as 4:20 instead of 4:04.

I don't see how this is another nail in the coffin for organized religion.

The Vatican for years has worked in the scientific community. The two can exist nicely together. I don't see any reason why the existance of aliens would be determental to religion.

Who knows, maybe God is an alien and people have been worshipping this race of aliens all along. Would that be so bad for the church?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Of course they can co-exist, after all , its sort of like having visitors from another country ( except their from another planet), just becasue a visitor comes from somewhere else , it doesn't stop anyone believing in God does it?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Thanks Zorgy

I had about half of those all ready for posting you saved me a lot of typing except I had to type this out so I really didn't save much time. More to the point The Vatican probably knows a lot more about the topic than the are admitting.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraithOf course they can co-exist, after all , its sort of like having visitors from another country ( except their from another planet), just becasue a visitor comes from somewhere else , it doesn't stop anyone believing in God does it?

The problem lies when a far superior intelligence say they never heard of Jesus. This will *very greatly undermine Christianity.

What happens when they confirm evolution (apes? or their own little experiment?) or a better understanding of how the universe was formed? uh oh. . .

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69The Vatican probably knows a lot more about the topic than the are admitting.

I do not doubt that

National Technology Transfer Center

These are the guys that are in charge of which companies get the new tech from NASA and other Government projects

The National Technology Transfer Center (NTTC) has entered its 20th year of providing technology transfer services for federal facilities of our nation. Our work has provided clients with technical and market research expertise dedicated to meeting the complex needs of technology transfer organizations, while providing close support focusing on customer service. NTTC is inspired by the technologies developed at our federal R&D institutions, and is proud of our work commercializing and disseminating federal innovation for the betterment of our nation's economy.

Why are they controlled by the Jesuits?

©2009 National Technology Transfer Center, Wheeling Jesuit University
www.nttc.edu...

Wheeling Jesuit University

Wheeling Jesuit University is a private, co-educational Roman Catholic university in the United States. Located in Wheeling, West Virginia, it was founded as Wheeling College in 1954 by the Society of Jesus (known as the Jesuits). Today, Wheeling Jesuit University is one of 28 member institutions of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities. Approximately 1,200 undergraduate students attend WJU.[3]

The campus houses two prominent National Aeronautic and Space Administration buildings: Robert C. Byrd National Technology Transfer Center (NTTC) and Erma Ora Byrd Center for Educational Technologies (CET). The CET building is the official home of NASA's Classroom of the Future.

en.wikipedia.org...

Why is NASA, hurting for funding, giving million's of tax dollars to Wheeling Jesuit University?

NASA OIG on Wheeling Jesuit University

August 8, 2000

"We found that NASA
inappropriately approved, obligated, and partially expended more than $4 million of facility and administrative (F&A) costs because NASA grant officers in charge of the WJU agreements did not adequately review WJU's cost proposals.

www.nasawatch.com...

[ex[The campus is home to NASA's premier educational research program, The Classroom of the Future.

www.wju.edu...

NASA Funds WJU Center to Develop Astronomy, Earth Science Courses

The grant is one of nine proposals NASA is funding for a total of $11.5 million over two years, the space agency announced this week. The selected proposals illustrate innovative approaches to using NASA-themed content in support of secondary-level teaching and learning, with a particular emphasis on high school education.

www.wju.edu...

Just do a search for NASA and Wheeling Jesuit together

The Jesuits are the 'military' of the Vatican... why is NASA, who claims to be short of funding, using TAX dollars to support a Church operation?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by igor_ats

It doesn't matter who they've heard of, or who they believe in, all the religeons we oast about or fight for are part of OUR history, just because an alien hasn't heard of Jesus or Allah makes no difference after all all these so called 'religeons' are supposed to preach understanding, compassion and tolerance aren't they?

Take the UK today, supposedly a 'Christian ' country, we allow other peoples to come here from the Muslim world, from the Bhuddist belief, to Pagans, ( even though us Pagans were here first), to all sorts of differing beliefs from ALL over the world, we don't stop them praying to THEIR God, nor do they try to Stop us believing in ours, we TRY to co-exist peacefully , only the fanatics on BOTH sides want the stop it.

If an alien was to come upto me and say "I've never of of this 'Jesus' , 'Allah' or 'Buddha' , who were they?" , I'd do my best being a Pagan to explain it to them, I would never disrespect another persons beliefs simply because they do not correspond with mine, And as for people saying " We'll convert the Aliens to OUR belives" yeah right, how arrogant is that? Where's the 'tolerance' and understanding there?

People , should we have contact soon or indeed any time in the future, would have to make adjustments to their lives, if they can't deal with it, IMO thats tough, theres no going back, most rational people , even the truly religeous who want only peace ( after all religeon is ALL ABOUT PEACE) people would just deal with it calmly with intelligence, only the real zealots and fanatics would hate any alien who hasn't heard of Jesus or Allah , and they'd do that because they are scared or learning a truth, that THEIR GOD existed on THIS PLANET ONLY.

One thing to consider is that all these supposed 'supreme beings' may have been aliens, after all they performed 'miracles' and did 'wondrous things' for people, I believe that if they were aliens, any technology or procedures that had or did would have looked like magic or miracles to the 'primative' peoples back then, But what WOULD BE GREAT is IF we found that that Jesus AND Allah or any other of the pantheon of Gods we worship here on the world DID exist, is if they all turned out to either be the same entity of that THEY themselves believed in something else.

IMO Maybe the religeons (ALL OF THEM) need to realise they each alone are not the end all and be all of this world, maybe if we stopped fighting amongst ourselves over petty issues like religeon maybe we could actually work together to make a better world for all, and if any aliens come to visit , then this world would be a world of peace, of understanding and tolerance, it begins with religeon and it'll end with religeon but religeon needs to step from the old ways and embrace new ideas , new concepts.

[edit on 18/8/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by DataWraith
reply to post by igor_atsIf an alien was to come upto me and say "I've never of of this 'Jesus' , 'Allah' or 'Buddha' , who were they?" , I'd do my best being a Pagan to explain it to them, I would never disrespect another persons beliefs simply because they do not correspond with mine

It's not about not holding hands and getting along (co-exist). If they wanted to be rid of us they would of done that a long time ago. They might not care about (the Worlds) religion(s).

Can religion co-exist with superior intelligence that undermines said religion?

It's not really a difference of opinion anymore if they prove our true origins and/or give a better explanation of how the universe was formed. Something as simple as this would be a critical hit against religion and I do mean earth-shatteringly devastating (imo
).

There was already a thread about why there isn't disclosure, and how religious would react was covered. Interesting read/ perhaps Aliens don't want to "rock the boat".

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:15 AM
link   
of course they can coexist

aliens live in regular space time with us... god lives in the void outside of space time

its really simple

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by igor_ats

The world we live on is constantly changing on a daily basis, alien contact would be no different, aliens would come along, people would go " woo", and then the day after people would start to forget, they'd start adjusting to the new information, I agree, if aliens wanted rid of us they could have done it a long time ago, and to be honest , they probably still could today with the minimum of fuss of their part.

Religeon needs to adapt as well as the people, I see that should aliens come along religeon would either have to adapt forcibly or simply be forgotten, as people realise that religeon was only introduced to help us believe we are not alone, and that we aren't alone in the dark , that we should help each other , God in whatever form he/she/it was given to us was given for the simple reason of letting us know that there ARE greater intelligences up there than here on Earth, that the Gods look down on us from the Heavens , and that Mankind must 'ascend' in order to be able to reach him/her/it/them. (Sounding familiar yet?).

IMO and it IS MY belief that the Gods we worship here on Earth WERE aliens of some sort or other, they looked like us but over the millenia have been deified to the status of Gods, after all back thousands of years ago they didn't have 'celebrities' or TV / Radio to pass on their deeds in a split second, word of mouth ruled and 'chinese whispers' happened, each teller of the story added or embellished or detracted from the original and the 'God' came into being but the message remained, 'help each other, be peaceful to one another", but over the ages of man different alien encounters in different areas of the world connected , 'religeous " My God is better than your God" wars' happened

People wanted hope , something to aspire to and along came the Gods, they wanted something to help them understand their place in the world and over the years, an event happened which help those beliefs along, a miracle healing here , and quick disappearing in a flash of light there, a comet ,or a UFO flyng across the skies became a chariot of the Gods etc.

There will always be people who believe so blindly their still right, and that the aliens are demons sent to destroy us and suck out our souls , every telling wil be worse as peoples own personal fears overwhelm them, their imagination runs riot, the death and harm worsens, and soon the fearful masses will grab a gun and go postal, IF religeon can change for the future and I thank the Vatican for actually doing something about it, after all the Vatican said "We and aliens can co-exist" but in my memory part of the Muslim world has said " we will convert them to Islam", I deem them not worthy of my attention yet until actions speak louder than words.

People have been programmed by Movies and Tv that aliens are always evil, name one other 'good' alien film apart from ET and Starman ( that I've heard of anyway) where the alien isnt trying to suck our brains out through our noses or something, the hysteria surround aliens needs to be re-addressed and the Vaticans stance is a step in the right direction, they are at least trying to adapt to the changing modern world we live in.

Aliens wouldn't come here simply to undermine Religeon, but they may offer other religeons that people ,not all people mind, can find solace in, like we adapt our lives to suit religeon ( on in my case adapt religeon to suit my beliefs) ( I take the best parts of religeon and try to uphold the principle guidings of all of them- be nice, be polite, be understanding and learn about others, forgive them if they offend me, and to forget past incidents). Aliens will have beliefs, they may change to some of ours they may not, we may find out that our religeons are all a lie, but who cares? We'll still live tomorrow and the day after, but I favour religeon will just take a step back and actually allow people to live their lives the way they want to , and not tell people how to live. People will still pray. Only at the end of our lives and we pass on will we really know the truth.

[edit on 18/8/09 by DataWraith]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join