It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Seats on Airplanes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I had noticed much of this in airplanes but never actually got to categorise it as extensivelly:

You might have some better choice when you travel next!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GEORGETHEGREEK

That's good info, but don't tell everybody!!!

There are websites that provide airline specific seat data, too.

AS TO the example of the AA 767, you have to be sure it is an International configuration being flown on a Domestic segment. Gets complicated.

Another problem, lately, is in a bid to maximize revenue many carriers have started to charge extra for exit-rows, aisle seats, etc.

ALSO, for everyone, when you get to pick your seat (
) be careful at some exit rows --- like on B737s, with the double emergency exit windows, because the forward row of seats may have their reclines restricted.

FYI.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Nice to have those additional details since i am not a freaquent air traveller anymore. (Change of situations.) At least for now

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

As usual, Weedwhacker has provided some outstanding info....c'mon, man, don't tell all the secrets!!!

A second to the forward row of exit seats.....most do not recline at all....so, your only solution on that long flight is to drink heavily....
(which, of course, I never do deadheading) just kidding

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by habu71

I thought getting intoxicated was banned quite some time ago...

Am i wrong?
Its some years now you cannot even smoke... let alone have a mouthfull of alcohol....

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
[iALSO, for everyone, when you get to pick your seat (
) be careful at some exit rows --- like on B737s, with the double emergency exit windows, because the forward row of seats may have their reclines restricted.

Yeah had the problem on a long flight once....luckily the flight attendant, noticed my discomfort and offered me a new seat.

She was a gem

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

HA! I was a flight attendant up until not long ago... I sold LOTS of overly priced alcohol on those flights and saw my fair share of overly intoxicated passengers. Banned? Well, you're not supposed to serve intoxicated passengers, but if they're already drunk when the gate agent lets them get on the plane, and you don't know they're drunk until the plane is in the air, denying them alcohol doesn't automatically make them sober and it's very unlikely that the captain is going to turn the plane around when the passenger is found out, hehe.
Smoking is banned, but the airlines make money by selling alcohol to anxious passengers and I very seriously doubt that it will be banned any time soon. We were even told to give away alcohol on many flights that were delayed or whatever. You wouldn't believe how much alcohol they can cram onto those planes.

[edit on 8/17/2009 by gemineye]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Shouldn't those secret seats be reserved for the um, really big people?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

NO!!
Many airlines make them **cough** buy TWO seats!

No, not a joke. Guess some would call it discrimination....c'est la vie!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Hey,
No need to be mean.
I'm 6'1 and weigh 275.
I'm no athlete but I'm not fat. I'm just a big guy.
Some of us have no problems fitting our butts into those seats but when your knees are pressed into the seat in front of you and your shoulders are wider than the armrests it's just not comfortable. Ever spend 16 hours with your feet and legs together your arms crossed and your knees jammed against the reclined seat in front of you?
Dubai to Houston sucks when you have to spend it in a space smaller than you are.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Indeed! As far as i know thats common practice over here. (In Greece...)
Really insultive and racist yet practiced even in a country like Greece.
Money seems to be the new god and higher than bein human or humane.
cents against human are an ever gaining rate (still.....)

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

I think noone is being mean here to you but rather to the air travel related companies. Its money over respect. Money against simplicity and love, money against you... In fact all of this is treated in a manner for you. At least thats the way i perceive it.
(mind i have gained 10 kilos from the age i was "perfect"...)

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I gave you a star and flag even though you told everyone the secret to more comfortable air travel. I had to learn it by myself the hard way

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Thanks,
It's miserable watching the screen of the passenger in front of you because the seat in front of you is reclined and just under your chin.

I was on a back seat with a wall behind it. No reclining for me. The guy on my left slept the entire flight (lucky so-n-so) and the woman on my right felt that my having to go to the bathroom 3 times in 16 hours was 'excessive'.

I hate flying.

It would have been funny if it wasn't such a long flight.

[edit on 083131p://f14Monday by badgerprints]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

AHHH!!! The dreaded back seat... Yuck, been there myself. It's a real pain trying to sleep with no recline. Especially in the smaller 70 seater's where that rear seat is vertically challenged as well.

S&F OP....another big guy appreciated that.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I had one of those secret seats on a flight going to London. I thought it would be great not having a seat in front of me. I was wrong. Not having someplace to wedge my leg against meant it was impossible to nap. I did not enjoy it.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I used to fly at least 12 times a year with an average flight time on each flight of about 5 hours.
I came to greatly appreciate the seats just behind the central emergency exit doors, normaly the right one. I always asked for it and sometimes would be offered it since i am muscular and handy in oppening those emergency exit doors. The window seat was a standard for me most of the times.

What struck me was that many a times i had noticed a slight air leak through those doors bringing a sometimes desired chill in, though i suppose it can be intimidating to many questioning their lockage.

I guess this last remark might as well be best
put at that Are you afraid of aeroplanes? thread...

Ahh well the extra legspace is always i pro and you never get to miss the reclining seat ability whereas i hated the once dreadfull flight in the last row seat...Pure dreadfull allthought they say its one of the safe places to be within aeroplanes...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK

What struck me was that many a times i had noticed a slight air leak through those doors bringing a sometimes desired chill in, though i suppose it can be intimidating to many questioning their lockage.

Well, since the comment is here, not on your other thread....AND we're talking about sitting near an exit, whether it's a window or door, know that you are NOT feeling cold air "blowing" in. The cabin is positively pressurized, so air will escape.

What is generally the case is the absence of insulation there, and it will vary depending on the design and age of the airplane, and the various exits. Be sure to snag a blanket!! (Unless you are unfortunate enough to be on one of the airlines that CHARGES you to 'rent' a blanket!!!)

Well, the definitive answer, BTW, to better onboard comfort?

Business Class!!

I know, pricey. But, long trips, worth it. Not a panacea, though. You can read airline quality reviews, for tips.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

You are right! However there is a draft indeed in many cases since it is also audible!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by gemineye

HA! I was a flight attendant up until not long ago... I sold LOTS of overly priced alcohol on those flights and saw my fair share of overly intoxicated passengers. Banned? Well, you're not supposed to serve intoxicated passengers, but if they're already drunk when the gate agent lets them get on the plane, and you don't know they're drunk until the plane is in the air, denying them alcohol doesn't automatically make them sober and it's very unlikely that the captain is going to turn the plane around when the passenger is found out, hehe.
Smoking is banned, but the airlines make money by selling alcohol to anxious passengers and I very seriously doubt that it will be banned any time soon. We were even told to give away alcohol on many flights that were delayed or whatever. You wouldn't believe how much alcohol they can cram onto those planes.

[edit on 8/17/2009 by gemineye]

It makes flying so much easier and easier to sleep as well.

I fly Lufthansa exclusively for my travel between LAX and Kuwait and vice versa, just for the FREE alcohol....i love that airline!
The extra fare is worth it!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join