It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama criticizes a Cold War approach to defense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Obama criticizes a Cold War approach to defense

news.yahoo.com

By LIZ SIDOTI, Associated Press Writer Liz Sidoti, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 35 mins ago

PHOENIX – President Barack Obama chastised the defense industry and a freespending Congress on Monday for wasting tax dollars "with doctrine and weapons better suited to fight the Soviets on the plains of Europe than insurgents in the rugged terrain of Afghanistan."

"Twenty years after the Cold War ended, this is simply not acceptable. It's irresponsible. Our troops and our taxpayers deserve better," he told a national convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. "If Congress sends
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Despite objections and veto threats from the White House, a $636 billion Pentagon spending bill was approved by a 400-30 vote in the House late last month. It contains money for a much-criticized new presidential helicopter fleet, cargo jets that the Pentagon says aren't needed and an alternative engine for the next-generation F-35 Joint Strike Fighter that military leaders say is a waste of money.

The Senate will deal with the spending measure in September.

The president laid out a vision of a nimble, well-armed and multilingual fighting force of the future, not one that was built to fight land battles against the Soviets in Europe.

"Because in the 21st century, military strength will be measured not only by the weapons our troops carry, but by the languages they speak and the cultures they understand," he said.

He praised McCain for joining him and Defense Secretary Robert Gates in opposing unneeded defense spending.

news.yahoo.com

[edit on 17-8-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Good for him.

Diplomacy is better than Mutually Assured Destruction.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
So I guess they are going to train our troops in all cultures that exist in the world then? Or do they already know where the next wars are going to be at?

So what exactly is he trying to say is what I'm wondering. Also the last I heard we do have a linguistics department in every branch of the military.

I don't know maybe some current military or retired military can help understand where he is coming from and whether this is a good idea or not.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

He praised McCain for joining him and Defense Secretary Robert Gates in opposing unneeded defense spending.

news.yahoo.com

Right, spending "unnecessary" amounts on the war is wrong, but wasting away to the tax payers dollars with an unpopular Health Bill is okay?

I guess whatever it takes for the Republicrat/Democran in power to keep a hold of the popular votes from the people...

You would think that by now the sheeple would begin waking up to see the mockery that is our government system.

No dice.

-Sliadon

Edit to say: I don't think that the amount of spending on the war is correct either, was simply pointing out the fallacy of our two party system and how either side likes to turn it against the other. So we aren't spending the huge deficit on item 'x' anymore, lets instead take the tax dollars to pay for item 'y' and yet we will wonder why it is that our plans for ending the economic down turn are ineffective...

[edit on 8/17/2009 by Sliadon]

top topics

join