It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Devil Rocked Her Cradle

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I just finished reading this true story of an extreme case of demon possession. The story starts in about 1870 with a family of immigrants from Germany, long story short, one of the sons turns out to be a real jerk, is athiest, yet his daughter born in late 1800's is promised to Satan. The story that unfolds is chilling. You know how sometimes you read on a book cover that "you won't be able to put it down"? Well, in this case, it's true. I didn't get hardly anything done this weekend because I had to finish that darn book.

The book raises many questions for me. I thought a person had to do something of their own free will to be possessed, but it seems this girl was promised to Satan at birth. Actually I wrote down several questions while reading it, in hopes of finding someone else who has read it to discuss it with.

IMO, it is a profoundly compelling case for demon possession. On a side note, the year was 1928, and Bellzebub tells the exorcism group at one point that when time is read as two thousand and something, the end of the world is at hand. He also very accurately predicted Hitler. He says many other things mostly vile. In fact at one point, I had a flashback and thought of some "conversations" I have had with certain people here at ATS; the conversations between the priests and the demons possessing this woman aren't just screaming and moaning. They have very concise discussions about theology, of course the devil is always putting God down. In fact he refuses to even say the name of Jesus, refers to him as what's-his-name throughout the entire exorcism. (Reminds me of someone here at ATS).

If you have an interest in demon possession, or even if you are a hardcore believer that it does not exist, I challenge you to read this book and discuss it.

www.amazon.com...

If you are already familiar with the book, I would appreciate your input/discussion.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by Bombeni]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Sounds INTERESTING! I also am under the impression that you have to accept the evil in order to be possessed. Perhaps not?

Originally posted by Bombeni
In fact at one point, I had a flashback and thought of some "conversations" I have had with certain people here at ATS;

You mean that the people were saying the same as what the (alleged) demon was saying in the book? They thought they were channeling something good but it was really something evil???

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Sounds INTERESTING! I also am under the impression that you have to accept the evil in order to be possessed. Perhaps not?

In fact at one point, I had a flashback and thought of some "conversations" I have had with certain people here at ATS;

You mean that the people were saying the same as what the (alleged) demon was saying in the book? They thought they were channeling something good but it was really something evil???

I was referring to some debates I have had here with athiests. The devil knows the Bible inside and out and in this exorcism he goes toe to toe with the priests and debates the bible. He also says many vile obscene things about the Bible and Jesus, etc. Just as several here at ATS do. I believe you would have to be under demonic influence to blaspheme the way some do here at ATS. And I formed that opinoin after reading this book.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Lol do you think this sort of stuff would happen less if the books that were written about them sold less?

To bad this stuff doesnt actualy exist. stuff like this and magic gave simple ignorant people a hope that they could some day gain power. Its all a path we must walk in our own time. good luck.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Hmmm...well the reviews dont seem to paint the same portrait.

September 4, 2000
By Schmerguls "schmerguls" (Sioux City, Ia USA) -
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER) This book is not well-written, is not carefully researched, and yet I give it five stars because of the subject which it discusses. The exorcism which occurred at Earling, Iowa, has been a subject of interest to me all my life. This book expands on the pamphlet Begone Satan, which was first published about 1936 and attracted extreme interest. Time had a full page article about the pamphlet. The pamphlet itself is not carefully written, and so this book, which sensationalizes what is found in Begone Satan and supplies all the X-rated language which Begone Satan omitted, is not to be relied on as being totally factual. A small example of the looseness with research in this book is that it states Sept. 20, 1928, when the first series of exorcisms came to an end, was a Friday. I at once knew this was wrong, since I was baptized by Father Steiger on Sept 20, 1928 (I was two days old) and I knew--and any perpetual calendar will quickly tell--that Sept. 20, 1928, was a Thursday. There are other inaccuracies, and much of the early part of the book is as the author imagined the events probably happened. But the fact is that a series of exorcisms were carried out at Earling in 1928, and the devil manifested himself there in ways that seem fantastic but that are not explainable unless he exists. This may not be a very fashionable view, but of course the devil's greatest wish is that people believe he not exist. The book is an easy read, and introduces one to a fascinating event. The sad part is that there is no really scholarly study of the case available to the public.

A Very Unsettling Story, March 7, 2003
By A Customer
I read this book a couple months ago and it still haunts me. Although parts of this book may have been sensationalized for readability, for the most part I believe it is factual.

I believe in God and in order to believe in him one must also acknowledge Satan.While many things are indeed sensationalized, many other things are very true.
The accounts of this book however are sketchy at best.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Lol do you think this sort of stuff would happen less if the books that were written about them sold less?

To bad this stuff doesnt actualy exist. stuff like this and magic gave simple ignorant people a hope that they could some day gain power. Its all a path we must walk in our own time. good luck.

Nothing personal, but the person who was being exorcised in this story took on features very much like yours, and this was witnessed by several people.

Gain power? Who do I want power over, except for evil? God is my Protector. Evil walks this earth, but of course, I guess evil is dependent on who is witnessing the evil. What is evil to me may be a way of life for others, so much so that they don't even know the difference. It is like if you have cats in your house, after awhile the home owner does not smell them but a visitor smells them right away. Do you have cats in your house?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ADMIN X

The author researched this book, you may be assured. He went to Earling, he found many people still living who spoke of that time. You can expect that certain literary priveleges were used in writing the book, but the book as a whole, is imo and many other opinions, true and correct.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ADMIN X

You might also have copied the entire review of that one, which gives a better overview and doesn't leave the parts you don't like out:

6 of 6 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Unsettling Story, March 7, 2003
By A Customer

I read this book a couple months ago and it still haunts me. Although parts of this book may have been sensationalized for readability, for the most part I believe it is factual. My grandfather lived in Earling at the time of this exorcism and as a child, I remember him talking about the terrible stench and language that filtered out of the convent that the townspeople could smell and hear. You can't read this book without being deeply impacted by it's message.

More reviews for your discernment:

I read this about 20 years ago while sat in a van on the M4 moving down to Wales. I didn't put it down, however, I wish I hadn't have read it. From reading the book some strange things happened over a long period of time. My then husband threw the book. A few years later I got another copy but a friend of mine was so overcome by it that he burnt it. I can't go in to what happened surfice to say I have a strange feeling that this book bought something with it. Today, I live in a lovely fishing village in Wales, today I live in a house that is haunted (to say the least), let's just say that the Most Haunted team would really poop themselves here.

I want to buy another copy of the book, however, I feel it is so powerful that I am dubious of reading it again - something tells me not to touch it but I remember it was one hell of a read. I think I will get another copy.

A strange book which had a strange effect on the people in my life at the time! In all honesty really feel that this book bought something with it. I know, I know that does sound strange but that is how I feel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I read this book a few years ago and all I can say is that I never put it down till I had finished it. It really spooked me. If you are into horror books and love reading about demon posession, then this book is perfect. It is about this girl called Mary who is posessed by this demon and this priest who is the exorsist. Many things in the book are sure too keep you up awake at night pondering. If you liked the movie the exorsist, then you have to read this book. I have read bloodline by the same author which is also very good.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by Bombeni]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The book The Devil Rocked Her Cradle (a saying which has an interesting origin which is revealed in the book) is the story of an exorcism. The author probably used literay privelege to tell the whole story, but he goes back to the mid 1800's and really takes the reader on an incredible journey. Parts of the history of the people in the story may be pieced together, but the actual exorcism is quoted word for word in the text. And the things that happened to the people involved in the exorcism are factual. Also the townspeople had their own experiences.

The exorcism of this woman was recorded back in 1928 and a booklet called Begone Satan was released, to a shocked world. This author has taken that actual event and researched the history leading up to it as best he could.

Here is the original booklet Begone Satan:

www.amazon.com...

Editorial Reviews
Product Description
This famous little book describes an extraordinary 23-day-long exorcism case in 1928 involving a woman who had been cursed by her own father. It took place in a parish in Earling, Iowa and was assisted by religious sisters, all of whom requested a transfer when the distressing experience was over. The story shows the power of Satan, but more importantly, demonstrates the power of God over Satan, as exercised through the Catholic priesthood and her traditional Rite of Exorcism. The strange noises and repulsive bodily phenomena caused by the devil that are described here exemplify the power of the devil over matter. Conversations between the exorcist and various evil spirits, also recorded here, give insights into the devil's malice and cunning. Yet this account also reveals the fear these evil spirits have of Holy Water, of a Crucifix, of Relics as well as of St Michael the Archangel and various other Saints. One of the most famous exorcism cases in U.S. history, this fascinating yet sobering story reveals the malice of Satan and shows God's victory over him through the instrumentality of His Holy Catholic Church, instilling hope and confidence in the reader of the power of Christ over the devil and his minions.

Some Reader Reviews:

By A Customer

This book is the true story of a woman who was possesed by demons for many years. This is one scary read. What comes through most in this book is the unspeakable hatred the devil has for God. The hatred just leaps off the page. I saw the exorcist, but the real thing as presented in this book is incredible. At the end of the book the priest saw the devil and belezebub for a half hour,with the devil seething with rage at not being able to strangle the exorcist. I hope anyone who doubts the existance of the devil reads this book. It is truly frightening Comment Comment | this review helpful to you? Yes No (Report this)

5.0 out of 5 stars My Grandfather lived in Earling in 1928, February 5, 2003
By M. Phillips (Des Moines, IA United States) - See all my reviews

My grandfather was in Earling at the time of this exorcism. He was a very devout Catholic and I remember as a child listening to him tell of this event. Of course he didn't actually see the exorcism, but he heard it and smelled it. He said the stench that drifted from the convent was the most horrible odor you could imagine and the people could hear the terrible language that the possessed woman screamed. This was a terrifying event for the people who lived in that town. If you have doubts that the devil exists, hopefully you will begin to believe and live accordingly! Comment

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly frightning and thought provoking!, July 3, 1998
By A Customer

The indredible true story of an actual exorcisim performed in Earling Iowa in the 1920's. I recently came arcross this story again in an anthology entitled "Haunted Heartland". The most shocking thing I found in the original story, was the reference to the year 2000. If this book doesn't scare you, nothing will!

As the author states in the Foreward, he is neither pro or anti-religion. He simply chose to write a story and let the reader make up their mind.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I read the book years ago. I have no idea how the writer was able to obtain so many intimate details about the father. The father was not the sort who would have kept a diary or confided in others. The daughter was too confused to have remembered many details about the father. The Catholic church would have carefully recorded the exorcism of course. I have a feeling the true of the family must have been more awful than the writer could relay. Most of the children of trashy drunks do not need exorcisms.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by eradown
I read the book years ago. I have no idea how the writer was able to obtain so many intimate details about the father. The father was not the sort who would have kept a diary or confided in others. The daughter was too confused to have remembered many details about the father. The Catholic church would have carefully recorded the exorcism of course. I have a feeling the true of the family must have been more awful than the writer could relay. Most of the children of trashy drunks do not need exorcisms.

Actually the daughter was quite lucid during many periods of her life and would have been able to relay the many things that happened in her childhood. When she wasn't under obvious possession she was like anyone else, and they say she was very intelligent and honest.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Actually the daughter was quite lucid during many periods of her life and would have been able to relay the many things that happened in her childhood. When she wasn't under obvious possession she was like anyone else, and they say she was very intelligent and honest.

I am sure she was intelligent but demons are fond of distraction. Even if she had not been pocessed I do not know how she would have obtained any details about the father's miserable upbringing. The bizarre woman who moved in on her and her father is about the only detail I really can believe she could have supplied. The father and the daughter where not close at all. The father was pretty cold and taciturn not the sort of man to tell sob stories about himself. Where the heck did the writer obtain all that information from?

[edit on 17-8-2009 by eradown]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Oh I see, you are talking about the father's childhood. Well I don't know I am sure parts of it are sketchy; who knows, the author could have located someone who had some details. As far as when the father became an adult and had those really creepy things happen to him, I think those are true, I think he told someone who told someone, when he got older. He told someone about how he gave the daughter to Satam and so it is likely someone from the church interviewed him at one time and he gave these other details. Remember there was a period where he felt a little sorry for her. I am going to try to find more info. But you replying is just what I was looking for, someone who had read the book and could debate it.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

I was thinking the Catholic church does have the ability to find out a great deal of information up to a point. Still they would need someone who was sharp enough to separate gossip from truth. The book implies the father's family fell apart after they came to America ,but all too often demons are connected to families via multi generational grudge curses. The bad luck they experienced in America might have been tied to why they left Germany in the first place. I could see why the Catholic church washed their hands of that mess ,but the Catholic church would have known about the paranormal history of those Germans. There might be room for another interesting book dealing with this exorcism if it turns out the pocession was a continuation of multi generational curse of some sort.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

I once was told that if you think about evil too much then you attract it to you. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean that because there is a market for the books that people write fiction to fill a market?

demons are fond of distraction.

What do you mean? Please explain. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   

reply to post by Bombeni

I was thinking the Catholic church does have the ability to find out a great deal of information up to a point. Still they would need someone who was sharp enough to separate gossip from truth. The book implies the father's family fell apart after they came to America ,but all too often demons are connected to families via multi generational grudge curses. The bad luck they experienced in America might have been tied to why they left Germany in the first place. I could see why the Catholic church washed their hands of that mess ,but the Catholic church would have known about the paranormal history of those Germans. There might be room for another interesting book dealing with this exorcism if it turns out the pocession was a continuation of multi generational curse of some sort.

That would be very cool, if a new author would pick this story up and try to go back through it, however I think it is too late to gather any more info. that what is already had. Who knows. I think the bulk of info. came directly from Mary herself; It is my opinion the father, at the times he felt a little sorry for her, told her what he knew, and I also think he talked to church officials. I wish there was a way to question the author on his sources.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
bookmarking this thread.

I just ordered it online and would love to discuss it after I am finished.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by shadow watcher

Cool, I look forward to hearing from you after you read it. I don't think you will be disappointed.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by Bombeni]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Bombeni

Actually, it would not be hard to find out more about the German family. Genealogical records could be searched. If there is anything weird about the family the Germans probably recorded it. There was no haunted house involved in this pocession so it seems the family itself was haunted. The Fathers father's family specifically seemed cursed; the alchohism, and the early death of the mother could have been due to demonic influences. There is definitly more to the story. Another even more frightening book is possible.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This is backed up by middle eastern lore. The djinn and the demons behave in similar ways. The result of all demonic activity keeps people from reaching goals or living a meaningful life. This is to be expected of enemies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join