It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New book claims concentrating & calming effects of meditation & prayer boosts brain power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Interesting report from Reuters of all places:

Faith rites boost brains, even for atheists: book

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - Buddhist monks and Catholic nuns boost their brain power through meditation and prayer, but even atheists can enjoy the mental benefits that believers derive from faith, according to a popular neuroscience author.

The key, Andrew Newberg argues in his new book "How God Changes Your Brain," lies in the concentrating and calming effects that meditation or intense prayer have inside our heads.

Meditation both activates the frontal lobe, which "creates and integrates all of your ideas about God," and calms down the amygdala, the emotional region that can create images of an authoritative deity and fog our logical thinking.

"Even 10 to 15 minutes of meditation appear to have significantly positive effects on cognition, relaxation and psychological health," the authors declare in the book.

I like it when the Scientists and the Religious find common ground.

I must admit, there is definitley a calming factor involved in prayer. An ability to see more clearly afterwards.

The occasions I have prayed, usually when TSHTF, have usualy been followed by a calm sensation, when everything is clearer and a solution becomes apparent.

Read the article, it's quite interesting.

[edit on 17-8-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
S & F Good find, I would like to read that book, seems pretty interesting and seems also like a good platform for the non believer to maybe take a step and get involved with oneself.

new topics

join